C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Fuse Is The A/C Lamp Connected To? 1981

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default What Fuse Is The A/C Lamp Connected To? 1981

I just installed a modified center gauge console. My lighting works great on the new gauges. I have no power to light over the a/c control. I have tried a few different light bulbs in the fixture but none work. Even the correct bulb doesn't work. I'm thinking this light may be on a different fuse then the gauges.

Craig
Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I just installed a modified center gauge console. My lighting works great on the new gauges. I have no power to light over the a/c control. I have tried a few different light bulbs in the fixture but none work. Even the correct bulb doesn't work. I'm thinking this light may be on a different fuse then the gauges.

Craig
Craig,

The center lamp in the console is on the same circuit as the rest of the dash lamps.

One issue is the actual socket, have you probed it to see if you have power in the socket? If you do, the fingers inside the socket are pretty much the same as the ones we use to make the low fuel warning module, and we have fits with them (the terminals) all the time.... Each module is actually fitted to a gauge housing and tested with a new bulb before it is shelved in the parts store. If you do have power then what you can do is if you look at the wires on the bulb you are using, tweak them slightly away from the bulb a tiny bit, then take a small pick or really small flat blade screw driver inside the actual socket and tweak the terminals tighter.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 09-21-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Craig,

The center lamp in the console is on the same circuit as the rest of the dash lamps.

One issue is the actual socket, have you probed it to see if you have power in the socket? If you do, the fingers inside the socket are pretty much the same as the ones we use to make the low fuel warning module, and we have fits with them (the terminals) all the time.... Each module is actually fitted to a gauge housing and tested with a new bulb before it is shelved in the parts store. If you do have power then what you can do is if you look at the wires on the bulb you are using, tweak them slightly away from the bulb a tiny bit, then take a small pick or really small flat blade screw driver inside the actual socket and tweak the terminals tighter.
I have power to the wire when the instruments lights are on. I can't get to the darn light socket without pulling the gauge housing. I have the glove box out and can't get to it. I have installed a new housing, socket, and bulb. Just my luck.

The bulb is going to have be out until I pull the gauges again.

Thanks for the timely response.

Last edited by Street Rat; 09-21-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I have power to the wire when the instruments lights are on. I can't get to the darn light socket without pulling the gauge housing. I have the glove box out and can't get to it. I have installed a new housing, socket, and bulb. Just my luck.

The bulb is going to have be out until I pull the gauges again.

Thanks for the timely response.
Sadly, the only way I know of to get in there is to remove the center console... Even then you have to be careful not to hit the dash top pad when you pull it, I've seen people do this and the socket catches and rips the vinyl.

If you have power on the wire then your issue is probably just as I described above... you'll need to pull the socket and manipulate the terminals... or you'll need to replace the socket.

Ernie
Old 09-22-2018, 05:39 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

When you do replace the lamp be certain to get the proper one. It may look like the others in the dash but it is different. There is a lens cast into the front tip that focuses the light. As the lighting for the HVAC controls isn't very good even with the proper lamp you may want to disassemble the lantern (as the assembly is called) and slightly enlarge the plastic aperture.

The trade number for the lamp is #558. Auto parts houses are very unlikely to carry them but they're sold by most of the vendors and on-line lamp sources. If it hasn't been done within a few years don't forget to replace all of the lamps in the gauge pack when you have it removed. They look identical but there are two different lamps--3 lux for the gauges and 2 lux for the warnings.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:30 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes Sir. I picked up a few of the correct bulbs from Wilcox Corvette.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:45 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Yes Sir. I picked up a few of the correct bulbs from Wilcox Corvette.
Ironically, we're having issues getting these bulbs.... Delco is packaging them wrong... They are putting a standard 194 bulb in the boxes and have been for the last year. I'm not sure after we run out of stock if we'll ever get the correct one again.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To What Fuse Is The A/C Lamp Connected To? 1981

Quick Reply: What Fuse Is The A/C Lamp Connected To? 1981