C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 'Pypes exhaust system' for 77

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Thoughts on 'Pypes exhaust system' for 77

Hey everyone

I got my new longtube headers, and am looking for an exhaust system set that fits my 77 vette.
There is already a second hole in the crossmember.

I found this exhaust set from 'Pypes'.
http://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200813-7...tem-scc10.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PYPES-SCC10...IAAOSwhjNbWA9V

The system is stainless and mandrel bend so thats an extra. The total cost (product+shipping+import) will be € 677.
Custom SS systems that are press-bend here in Belgium are min. € 1000, and mandrel bending for exhaust pipes doesn't even exist here...

Do you guys have any experience with these sets?
Wil they fit or will it be 'hell'? If it's not a 'good' fit, can I do the extra bending myself, or do I have to bring it to an exhaust shop?

The only thing I will change, if I buy it, is the X-pipe. I will replace it with an H-pipe (less performance I know, but better sound).

Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 AM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a pypes system for my Camaro several years ago. I love the Street Pro mufflers, and their sound. The X pipe is a nice piece.

The kit itself, though was not a great fit. needed a lot of modification, and could not really get it right. I needed to have an exhaust shop bend new pipes to get a good, proper fit. money down the drain.

Maybe their systems have improved (this was about 6-7 years ago), but I would not buy another whole system from them. Like I said, though--mufflers/sound is great, and the X pipe was able to be re-used...
Old 09-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

One thing I found on the Magnaflow system I originally bought, and may be true with Pypes, is the fact that ALL C3 Corvettes engines are offset to the right by one inch.....so why does Magnaflow, and maybe Pypes manufacture the tubes with one side a symmetrical opposite of the other. A correctly manufactured system would have the turns made longer on the left side than the right to account for the offset. I spent $1000 on a Stainless Works systems, that was very nicely made, but they too had no difference in the lengths of turns on one side versus the other.

Don't these morons actually mount these to a car or what?

Last edited by Torqued Off; 09-12-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl1967
I bought a pypes system for my Camaro several years ago. I love the Street Pro mufflers, and their sound. The X pipe is a nice piece.

The kit itself, though was not a great fit. needed a lot of modification, and could not really get it right. I needed to have an exhaust shop bend new pipes to get a good, proper fit. money down the drain.

Maybe their systems have improved (this was about 6-7 years ago), but I would not buy another whole system from them. Like I said, though--mufflers/sound is great, and the X pipe was able to be re-used...
I got their system for my '69 Vette and had the same problems. My exhaust guy showed me how twisted the X pipe was before he cut up it to fix that. The other pieces had to be modified too.

I DO NOT recommend buying from Pypes. My guy said it would have been quicker and cheaper to have a new system built from scratch.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:14 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Pypes Violators sound amazing for what they are, they sound like a hybrid of chambers with glasspacks, quiet untill you get on them, and then they get LOUD

My old mustang with a 408w, full length headers, x pipe and pype violators

Last edited by naramlee; 09-12-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

I bought and installed that exact system on my 75 earlier this year. Installed it myself laying on my back in the workshop. Yes there was some fiddling around to do and one part needed modding to work.

I think for the price it’s hard to beat. As mentioned above when you get on it the sound is incredible. It seems to let my small block really breathe.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kie
Yes there was some fiddling around to do and one part needed modding to work.

I think for the price it’s hard to beat. As mentioned above when you get on it the sound is incredible. It seems to let my small block really breathe.
What parts did need fiddling around and modding?
I'm not going to use the x-pipe piece if that part would be the probleem...

Do you really need special tools/machines to mod the pipes, or can I do it myself (no experience at all)?
Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
What parts did need fiddling around and modding?
I'm not going to use the x-pipe piece if that part would be the probleem...

Do you really need special tools/machines to mod the pipes, or can I do it myself (no experience at all)?

The X-pipe was fine. The problem with mine was the right or passenger side connector pipe from the X to the muffler was a couple inches too long. It was simple enough to shorten it with a chop saw.

Installing any aftermarket exhaust system requires at least some small level of experience imo. You have to keep in mind it’s a C3 and no 2 C3’s ever left the factory the same. If you ran into insurmountable issues any 1/2 decent muffler shop could get get you sorted I’m sure.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

video posted above now... idk what was wrong with earlier link

btw, ZERO drone with these mufflers, they act like glasspacks, which really they are in a way with no packing... but somehow they don't drone at all...I love em

Last edited by naramlee; 09-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

My 6t8 got the PYPES 2 1/2 X pipe system with the two baffle mufflers, sounds great and runs like a banshee. The original install had a few weening problems the X-pipe, the ends were cut at different length and one of the rear tubes was bent all wrong. I contacted them, they sent me some replacement pipes that were correct and they told me to keep the wrong ones so nothing to return. All is well. T
Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 AM
STINGROD78
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the Pypes system mount right up to your headers or will you need to get a connector piece to bridge the gap? And if so do you need to go to a muffler shop for that or is there an ability to get them online or through Pypes? Newbie here. I have a 78 that I want to do headers and full exhaust to. And also what type of headers are yall normally running? I see so many different diameter tubes for them. What is the best set up? All stock. Just going to do the normal bolt ons to add nice sound and power. Car only has 9,910 original miles on it. Also not trying to cut or hack anything up. So I can keep all the original stuff in tack.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:26 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by STINGROD78
Will the Pypes system mount right up to your headers or will you need to get a connector piece to bridge the gap? And if so do you need to go to a muffler shop for that or is there an ability to get them online or through Pypes? Newbie here. I have a 78 that I want to do headers and full exhaust to. And also what type of headers are yall normally running? I see so many different diameter tubes for them. What is the best set up? All stock. Just going to do the normal bolt ons to add nice sound and power. Car only has 9,910 original miles on it. Also not trying to cut or hack anything up. So I can keep all the original stuff in tack.
No you will need a custom pipe made up. If you are starting on a new exhaust project, regarding your headers have a bung installed for o2 sensors and get a high quality pair of headers that are ceramic coated. Stock type of engines should have 1 5/8 primary tubes while modified engines require 1 3/4 or up to 1 7/8 . Does your engine have the head mount for the alternator? If A/C equipped do some research regarding mounting for the compressor. T
Old 09-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Buy a system from Corvette Central.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THE PYPES SYSTEM
I had a pipe in the kit that was not correct. Pypes supposedly sent the correct pipe after a blistering telephone call. It ended up being incorrect also . The pipe was too long.

I ended up taking my car and the patchwork system to my local muffler shop to install.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

In my experience, kits, work on newer precision mass engineered cars with little variations, that does NOT describe our cars lol

i cant even imagine muffler shops charging that much, and not having mandrel benders, a full exhaust job normally runs about 200 here, less if you bring them ice cold beer 😋
Old 09-13-2018, 10:03 PM
sclipper77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1977 with the original antenna mast. Can’t get it off. Any help without cracking the paint. Just wanna to replace the mast
Old 09-14-2018, 11:03 AM
mbb9674
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed the scc10v kit back in July on my 79 w/ th350 and didn't have and major issues. The I have hooker comp headers and had to make extensions to go to the s bend supplied in the kit which I integrated cut-out into. There were a few slight modifications I had to make but none were a show stopper IMO. I also purchased a manual trans bracket and just cut out the section where the th350 gov interferes since the pipes come through the perpendicular to the cross member.
Here is a list of modifications:
-modify supplied s bends from kit to squarely line up to my extension. The geometry/length was not correct so I had to take a section out of the middle to shorten and realign the inlet to outlet so they were square. (roughly 9-10mm off center and cocked 15-20 degrees) Could be done with a cutoff wheel or band saw and welder.
-cut ~1 out of the passenger side rear pipe so that the muffler cases and tips were the same distance back from the bumper. This could also be done with a cut off wheel or band saw.

As others have stated, I also have no drone and think it sounds pretty bad *** and you can definitely notice it but it is not obnoxiously loud like the cutouts. Here are a couple pics of the installation (before I took ~1 off the pass side)

Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by naramlee
Pypes Violators sound amazing for what they are, they sound like a hybrid of chambers with glasspacks, quiet untill you get on them, and then they get LOUD

My old mustang with a 408w, full length headers, x pipe and pype violators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RytalsJFO3o
Is the system on your mustang stainless or normal steel? I love the sound of it!
I just ask this because of the difference in sound. Some say that normal steel sounds better and has more bass. Is this really true or just a myth?
Will I notice it? I'm a musician so sound is very important for me.

I will be running open pipes, no mufflers.

Last edited by Novusuhu; 09-15-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on 'Pypes exhaust system' for 77

Old 09-15-2018, 10:35 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
Is the system on your mustang stainless or normal steel? I love the sound of it!
I just ask this because of the difference in sound. Some say that normal steel sounds better and has more bass. Is this really true or just a myth?
Will I notice it? I'm a musician so sound is very important for me.

I will be running open pipes, no mufflers.
hmmmm, you know I never thought about that before, I am non-professional musician and rather avid audiophile, played trombone and sax for 10 years before moving into the piano what I currently play full time now. My thoughts would be that the myth would be true, stainless steel vibrates less readily than mild steel because of the nickel content and would be more tinny in sound. Notice all instruments are made from a soft and rather easily deformed metal, which allows the walls to resonate and build sympathetic resonance with the notes you play. Stainless is the opposite, and VERY hard to work with, it's strong, brittle and not easily machined or bent.

the system is mild steel, not stainless
experience with exhaust systems: larger diameter pipe gives you deeper tone with reduced volume, too large will hurt your engine performance on torque due to no scavaging of exhaust gasses at lower RPMs
My mustang came from Ford with 2" exhaust, the system on there is 2.5, it was just alittle bit more to breath, but not large enough to obviously stand out that it was bigger, the car was a great sleeper.

Last edited by naramlee; 09-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by naramlee
hmmmm, you know I never thought about that before, I am non-professional musician and rather avid audiophile, played trombone and sax for 10 years before moving into the piano what I currently play full time now. My thoughts would be that the myth would be true, stainless steel vibrates less readily than mild steel because of the nickel content and would be more tinny in sound. Notice all instruments are made from a soft and rather easily deformed metal, which allows the walls to resonate and build sympathetic resonance with the notes you play. Stainless is the opposite, and VERY hard to work with, it's strong, brittle and not easily machined or bent.

the system is mild steel, not stainless
experience with exhaust systems: larger diameter pipe gives you deeper tone with reduced volume, too large will hurt your engine performance on torque due to no scavaging of exhaust gasses at lower RPMs
My mustang came from Ford with 2" exhaust, the system on there is 2.5, it was just alittle bit more to breath, but not large enough to obviously stand out that it was bigger, the car was a great sleeper.
I think I will go for an aluminized exhaust set from 'Allen's Stainless'.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I have yet to see a bolt on kit that needs no work.

If youre overseas and cant afford a screwup buy the mufflers and have a shop bend the pipes up for you, its cheaper and you know it will fit.
Unless you are making huge power and after that last 1hp dont obsess about mandrel bent stuff.

Last edited by cv67; 09-16-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 'Pypes exhaust system' for 77