C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 PM
fatboy999
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Correct Tire Pressure

I'm running P215-70R15 BFG Radial T/As on my '68 roadster and wonder what tire pressure should I be running?
Old 09-22-2018, 07:53 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

If 30 people answer your question, you will get 30 different answers. The answer is, "whatever pressure gives you uniform tire wear with good cornering performance." In my experience, on the front-heavy C2/C3 Vettes, that ends up being about 40 on the front and 30-35 on the rear. That BFG tire has a tall, soft sidewall, so you need the pressure to keep it from "rolling under" on hard cornering.

There will now be 29 people who will disagree and have different suggestions for you. All of the answers will be correct.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 09-22-2018 at 08:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markbritton (08-20-2020)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Tire pressure really is directly related to application and unlimited variables. Cruising streets, drag racing, autocross... all different. Then there is driver preference which creates virtually infinite possible pressures.

The only universal truth on pressure is to stay is to stay within manufacture pressures and weights. However, there will undoubtedly be someone who will argue against that statement on here as well.

Whatever works for you. Be safe!

-Stroke
Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The only input I will add is that 25 psi is too low for radial tires on a C3. Somewhere around 30 psi (depending on variable listed by Lars and others) is a good starting point.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:35 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default door sticker

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The only input I will add is that 25 psi is too low for radial tires on a C3. Somewhere around 30 psi (depending on variable listed by Lars and others) is a good starting point.
the door sticker is a ridiculous 20 front 26 rear, tried it, it was so bad
Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by george2066
the door sticker is a ridiculous 20 front 26 rear, tried it, it was so bad
Yeah. Those were specs for a different type of tire way back when. Maybe Radials. I can’t remember exactly.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Max psi for a BFG T/A is 35 psi. Even though it's like riding on a donut or trying to stand on two basket ***** compared to the new gen low profile tires, I would not go over that. I run 32 front and 30 rear in my 69 big block and 30 all around in my wife's 78 small block. Tire performance on uneven or crowned roads leaves a lot to be desired with tall sidewalls....
Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The low psi spec on the door stickers was a total FUBAR by the US auto makers when they first installed radial tires. Europe knew what pressure they needed, but US knew "better", did the pressure-to-load calculations and wound up with specs WAY to low for radial tires. They found out when LOTS of tires blew out on new cars under extended driving conditions. The OVER-flexed sidewalls OVER-heated and blew out. Pressure specs for mid-late 70's cars were revised upward, significantly.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

The low psi spec on the door stickers was a total FUBAR by the US auto makers when they first installed radial tires. Europe knew what pressure they needed, but US knew "better", did the pressure-to-load calculations and wound up with specs WAY to low for radial tires. They found out when LOTS of tires blew out on new cars under extended driving conditions. The OVER-flexed sidewalls OVER-heated and blew out. Pressure specs for mid-late 70's cars were revised upward, significantly.
Didn’t the early C3’s come with a Bias Ply tire, requiring much lower tire pressures? (I remembered what they were called! Not getting too old just yet!)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,149 Likes on 2,337 Posts

I won't disagree with Lars on this one. 40 front, 35 rear for radials sounds pretty good. For Autocrossing on BFG Radial T/As (same tires, not a C3), I set them to max rated sidewall pressure, which I think is 44 psi (please check!). Don't expect to have much wet traction with these tires, but the rest of your car will melt in the rain, so it's best to only drive a C3 when the sun is shining.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe

Didn’t the early C3’s come with a Bias Ply tire, requiring much lower tire pressures? (I remembered what they were called! Not getting too old just yet!)
Yes.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:47 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

EXACTLY!! And PRECISELY why the Chevy Corvair was declared "Unsafe at any speed" by the idiot who ran the tire pressure WAY too low (and according to the manufacturer!!)......
Old 09-23-2018, 02:15 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by pws69
EXACTLY!! And PRECISELY why the Chevy Corvair was declared "Unsafe at any speed" by the idiot who ran the tire pressure WAY too low (and according to the manufacturer!!)......
That's actually not true. It was deemed unsafe because of a design flaw in the rear suspension having nothing to do with tire pressure.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

It was killed by negative publicity and unnecessary public disdain. Could the Corvair have been designed better? Yes. About every car ever made could have been designed "better".

Public opinion matters...and biased media can sway public opinion. That's what we are dealing with these days! Facts are irrelevant when emotions get cranked up....
Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,149 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
... For Autocrossing on BFG Radial T/As (same tires, not a C3), I set them to max rated sidewall pressure, which I think is 44 psi (please check!) ...
I swear I didn't mention Corvairs! The car I was referring to was a Corvair, but I didn't say anything about Corvairs! The late model Corvair had basicallly the same swing-arm suspension as a Corvette. I ran mine with a custom built (by me) heim-jointed strut rod setup, with an adjusted inboard pivot hole at the differential (transaxle, really). It had coils instead of a leaf spring, but it was otherwise very similar to the setup on a C3. With the engine weight behind the rear wheels, and no sway bar (oops), I could lift the inside front wheel on a hard corner and turn with the throttle. I had 225-60R15 wheels in the back, and the max pressure helped with the sidewall deflection.

The early Corvair had a swing-axle design that was much less sophisticated, and could cause issues with underinflated tires and hard cornering. I knew someone who autocrossed an early model. He was much quicker than I ever was.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:21 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I won't disagree with Lars on this one. 40 front, 35 rear for radials sounds pretty good. For Autocrossing on BFG Radial T/As (same tires, not a C3), I set them to max rated sidewall pressure, which I think is 44 psi (please check!). Don't expect to have much wet traction with these tires, but the rest of your car will melt in the rain, so it's best to only drive a C3 when the sun is shining.
My BFGoodrich Radial T/A's say on the sidewall "240kpa/35 psi max press". I guess I must be missing something...?

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 09-26-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Tire Pressure

Quick Reply: Correct Tire Pressure