C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear 'CORVETTE' script template

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Rear 'CORVETTE' script template

Hi guys

I know this has been asked a few times...I'm after a template for the rear 'CORVETTE' script. I've just painted my pro touring '71 and thought loosing the CORVETTE emblem would clean the rear end up...alas it looks odd without it.

Does anyone have a template or know where to get one?

Many thanks

Aaron

Old 09-23-2018, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you filled in the holes for the letters...using a template at this time can do more harm than good.

Not knowing how you filled in the holes and to what extent you took to fill them in. Using a template and having it off a little bit while drilling...can cause what you used to fill in the holes with to falls out..you now have a much larger hole in the body which may be so large that the emblem can not cover it.

I have had to drill out the holes in cars like yours where someone filled them in and I do it manually from the backside of the panel using a really small drill bit and increasing the size of the drill bit to what I need once I get hole into the panel.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 09-23-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here you go-

Thanks to fellow forum member Brian- "caskiguy "

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598010860

Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!!

I wondered if drilling out the existing house would work. pros and cons with both method. I shall use the template and post my results. Here's the car. It's Range Rover Firenze red.

Many thanks again for the swift replies.

Aaron.

The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,125 Likes on 729 Posts

You really should try to find an existing hole or two to reference everything. Also, I noticed my new letters required a larger hole.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:54 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ignatz
You really should try to find an existing hole or two to reference everything. Also, I noticed my new letters required a larger hole.

Good info. Will check the car out and report back. Thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 AM
beautimus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may seem a bit silly but have you considered some of the self adhesive letters that are out there? you have the opportunity to see what a slightly different font might look like and perhaps add a custom touch if you so desire. just thought i would throw that out there.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beautimus
this may seem a bit silly but have you considered some of the self adhesive letters that are out there? you have the opportunity to see what a slightly different font might look like and perhaps add a custom touch if you so desire. just thought i would throw that out there.

I'm all up for the custom look. Mine's a '71 with '69 front end and gills. Deleted side markers, home made spoiler etc. I already have a new set of letters so i'll use them. If I didn't already have them i'd probably go for stick on.

Last edited by aaroncorvette; 09-26-2018 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not wanting for you to have a major problem.

Do you know what the shop used to cover the original holes for these letters???

Reason being this,. Most shops will just slap some body filer on them and block it down and not go through a major process of applying fiberglass resin and mat. So chances are they never really correctly prepped these holes for filling

IF they used a body filler that is soft. I will once again HIGHLY advise you in going in from the backside of the panel with a very small drill bit and drilling them out slowly.

Because IF you use the template and have it off due to you do not have any point of reference....and you drill into the panel. IF the shop did a quick fill in with body filler. DO NOT be surprised that when you drill out these holes that the body filler they used pops out and now you have two holes right beside one another and now the letter cannot cover them. And eth body filler can pop out due to they never prepped the hole in the first place

I am only speaking from experience in this and you can do as you wish.

Using a drill bit and SLOWLY drilling it out and having your finger on the outer panel will let you know when you are going to finally drill through it.

Can this take some time...YES...but like I have told those customers that needed this done is that IF they want it done right with NO PROBLEMS.... the time it takes to do that is just that. And if I have 3 hours in hand drilling and filing to get the letters on the car and looking prefect WITH no damage to the paint or body....is NOTHING compared to the time it will take to repair and paint the car due to trying to get it done in 10 minutes.

DUB
Old 09-27-2018, 12:42 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

thanks for taking the time to post.

The car car is back at the sprayers having the rear repainted so I’ll pop down there when they’ve rubbed the back panel down and see what I can see.
I’m with you on being careful about drilling from the back and I’m not a fan of doing that.
I’ll message him with a link to this thread and see what he says. He’s painted tons of c3’s and knows them well. It’s a company called Mechspray (I’m in England), they’re one of the top 5 sprayers in the country, they do things by the book and they take their time.
back shortly with pics and an update

Old 09-29-2018, 03:16 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Mechspray took a look behind the panel. The holes had been glassed in but he could see the original holes so he drilled them out.

He got to adjust the 'V' but basically it's done. Didn't take him long. I guess it all depends on how the holes have been filled as to how you'd go about finding them.

Very pleased!

Thanks guys.

Last edited by aaroncorvette; 09-29-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

BINGO!!

I'm guessing (not really) that you almost wet yourself with the first hole you drilled!!

Get notified of new replies

To Rear 'CORVETTE' script template

Quick Reply: Rear 'CORVETTE' script template