C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Holley

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:35 AM
Sir Tripower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking Holley

Hi Folks,

I (still) have a problem with my Holley center-carb (#4056) on my '69 L68. It seems, that there is fuel leaking between the metering-block and the throttle-body. I've tried several metering-blocks and seals, but almost every time I shut of the engine, there is some "backfire". Also, when driving the idle-screws to their setting, engine won't stall but going on (rough) idling. That seems to me, as if the engine gets some fuel from anywhere.

Now I've seen in the net, that there is a different kind of seal for the metering-block, what looks thicker and is of blue colour. Can you give me an adress, where I can get those seals for my #4056?

Hpefull greets from Germany

Gerrit
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

I don't know if Summit Racing ships to Europe or not but they should have the "Blue" gaskets you refer to. They seal better than cork, do not swell up, can be used multiple times. Make sure you stick with Holley brand parts, always.

When removing the old gasket pay specific attention to orientation of the holes in the gasket compared to orifices in the metering block. If you install the new gasket 180* off, you will block fuel passages.

So, try Summit Racing. Click on Air & Fuel > Carbs > Gaskets > Holley. Click on metering, model number.

As far as the mixture screws on the center carb, I do not believe it will force a stalled engine. The other two carbs are still metering some fuel. To set the mixture for optimum performance, a vacuum gauge is a must.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 09-24-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

MY only comment is that I would NEVER have a Holley product on my car, over the decades I have noticed at car shows, that any time I see a holley carb on a vehicle, look for the fuel leak, and there it is, it may be the carb all clean and new looking, BUT there are the telltale leaks dripping on the intake manifold.....

DAMN NEAR EVERY TIME!!!!

One of my oldest friends used to settle claims for GEICO, in the car FIRE section.....80% of the claims were on HOLLEY carb's vehicles, mainly FORDS.....after that, Qjet, and maybe 1-2% Carter AFB.......

So with stats like that.....make your own conclusions....

Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrvette
MY only comment is that I would NEVER have a Holley product on my car, over the decades I have noticed at car shows, that any time I see a holley carb on a vehicle, look for the fuel leak, and there it is, it may be the carb all clean and new looking, BUT there are the telltale leaks dripping on the intake manifold.....

DAMN NEAR EVERY TIME!!!!

One of my oldest friends used to settle claims for GEICO, in the car FIRE section.....80% of the claims were on HOLLEY carb's vehicles, mainly FORDS.....after that, Qjet, and maybe 1-2% Carter AFB.......

So with stats like that.....make your own conclusions....
I really doubt your statements. When you slam a huge companies reputation, you should have documented proof, instead of BS. For one thing, Ford used their own FOMOCO carbs. Geico was established in 1992. How many carbs were around then?
And almost every manifold at every car show has a fuel stain. EVEN the ones with Eddy, QJet, AFB, Carter etc etc etc.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 09-25-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Sir Tripower
Racer

Originally Posted by mrvette
MY only comment is that I would NEVER have a Holley product on my car,.
That doesn't really helps . My NM-car ist equiped with the Holley Tripower-setup - and will stay that way. I'm sure, that there will be a solution for my problem!.
It seems, that Summit has the gaskets I'm looking for. But $ 32,- just for shipping two gaskets, is too much!

Maybe someone from this forum could send me those gaskets in an envelope - immediate payment by Paypal guaranteed! Price for the two gaskets is about 10 bucks.

Gerrit
Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

I hear ya. Shpg is high in the U.S. too. If you go to the trouble of paying shpg to Germany, you should order extra bowl gaskets and extra metering block gaskets.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 09-24-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

older carbs that could be warped seal better with the brown gaskets that have a thermal setting glue on the surface. also using double gaskets sometimes helps sealing warped surfaces. those blue non stick gaskets work great on flat surfaces on new carbs or ones that have be re machined. the warped metering bodies should be straightened in a fixture .for some reason I can no longer post pictures on this site so I can not show the fixture

Last edited by PAmotorman; 09-24-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I really doubt your statements. When you slam a huge companies reputation, you should have documented proof, instead of BS. For one thing, Ford used their own FOMOCO carbs. Geico was established in 1992. How many carbs were around then?
And almost every manifold at every car show has a fuel stain. EVEN the ones with Eddy, QJet, AFB, Cater etc etc etc.
U R TOTALLY RONG!!! GEICO may have been a regional carrier many years ago....the company started on Western Ave which borders the DC line into Maryland, the company name is Govt. Employees Ins. Co......the initials......My buddy and I been friends since '66-67...he worked there in the late 60's/early 70's while attending law screwal.....and you will find that if there is a Carter AFB/knockoff it is damn rare to see any fuel leakage.......How do I know this about GEICO?? I spent 53 years in the Wash DC/Md. region, that office was basically next door to me......
Old 09-24-2018, 09:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

I hear ya. Shpg is high in the U.S. too. If you go to the trouble of paying shpg to Germany, you should order extra bowl gaskets and extra metering block gaskets.
Shipping charges are maybe 10% of the tab.....IMPORT tariffs make up the rest......

Old 09-24-2018, 02:47 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Default 108-89-2 gasket

Originally Posted by Sir Tripower
That doesn't really helps . My NM-car ist equiped with the Holley Tripower-setup - and will stay that way. I'm sure, that there will be a solution for my problem!.
It seems, that Summit has the gaskets I'm looking for. But $ 32,- just for shipping two gaskets, is too much!

Maybe someone from this forum could send me those gaskets in an envelope - immediate payment by Paypal guaranteed! Price for the two gaskets is about 10 bucks.

Gerrit
Does Germany have a amazon.com site and if so have you looked for a German source for the gasket 108-89-2. I would also replace the power valve since if the idle mixture screws dont work the valve may be blown.
The gasket is available at the UK site of amazon.com
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by MelWff; 09-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sir Tripower (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Inspect the carb surface for flatness. Sometimes the threads are pulled a little and some are raised above the surface. Use a fine flat file and while holding it flat to the gasket surface, carefully file any raised areas flat. Then use the Holley blue gaskets as advised by others here.

As for all Holleys leaking, that is just plain BS. If the blue gaskets are used and care is taken to make sure the carb and metering block surfaces are flat and clean, they do not leak. I have two Holley DP's, a 750 and an 850. I built these carbs and they do not leak or seep gas. There are no stains on my manifold. The old cork and paper gaskets were junk. The newer blue gaskets are a world apart from the old ones.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 09-24-2018 at 03:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by v2racing:
73racevette (10-04-2018), HeadsU.P. (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:06 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Hi Folks,

I (still) have a problem with my Holley center-carb (#4056) on my '69 L68. It seems, that there is fuel leaking between the metering-block and the throttle-body. I've tried several metering-blocks and seals, but almost every time I shut of the engine, there is some "backfire". Also, when driving the idle-screws to their setting, engine won't stall but going on (rough) idling. That seems to me, as if the engine gets some fuel from anywhere.

Now I've seen in the net, that there is a different kind of seal for the metering-block, what looks thicker and is of blue colour. Can you give me an adress, where I can get those seals for my #4056?

Hpefull greets from Germany

Gerrit
As a current Tri-power owner and long time Holley user (Cars and Boats), the design is solid (leak free if sealing surfaces are flat and corrosion/pit free) but it requires paying attention to Torque Specs (using Torque Screw Driver/Wrench).

You need to start with Float Level, too high and you get Fuel dripping / over active Idle Fuel feed, the Metering Circuits are level sensitive.
You can Bench test (complete Carb) for Body/Gasket leaks by making some legs out of Bolts/Nuts and then gravity filling the Bowl with Fuel, if your Float Level is correct (assuming good Needle/Seat) you can monitor for leaks (many times you will see the Body to Throttle Plate Gasket Fuel soaked).

If your Secondary Plates are closed (yes they do provide some Fuel at idle when closed) and you have the Idle Speed as low (minimum is Cam dependent) as possible you should be able to stall it (i can anyway, just did it this weekend).

If you need me to get you Gaskets, let me know.

Dave
Sir Tripower (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Mine don’t leak at all . Try to lower the float adjustment. And the holly blue gaskets are
probably the best. I don’t have them though. Maybe the fuel lines . New large o rings on the filters.
dont overtighten . Good luck.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

To say that Holley carbs caused 80% of car fires is utterly nonsense! There would have been, without a doubt, a federal investigation as to why.
Holley has out sold any other carbs in the industry and not from starting fires.
I have seen all carb brands leak. My Holley does not. It must be in the rare 20% mr vette? Not buying it. Go bang your drum elsewhere.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 09-24-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MelWff
Does Germany have a amazon.com site and if so have you looked for a German source for the gasket 108-89-2. I would also replace the power valve since if the idle mixture screws dont work the valve may be blown.
The gasket is available at the UK site of amazon.com
Amazon Amazon
Idle circuit and Power Valve have nothing to do with each other. I guess you missed the Lars report about that last week.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Idle circuit and Power Valve have nothing to do with each other. I guess you missed the Lars report about that last week.
This is true, but if the power valve diaphram blows out, fuel will be drawn into the vacuum side of the valve and into the engine. They don't run a little rich though, they blubber badly and blow black smoke, if they don't flood out and quit running.

Mike
Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
Inspect the carb surface for flatness. Sometimes the threads are pulled a little and some are raised above the surface. Use a fine flat file and while holding it flat to the gasket surface, carefully file any raised areas flat. Then use the Holley blue gaskets as advised by others here.

As for all Holleys leaking, that is just plain BS. If the blue gaskets are used and care is taken to make sure the carb and metering block surfaces are flat and clean, they do not leak. I have two Holley DP's, a 750 and an 850. I built these carbs and they do not leak or seep gas. There are no stains on my manifold. The old cork and paper gaskets were junk. The newer blue gaskets are a world apart from the old ones.

Mike
Well said and right on the money.
HeadsU.P. (09-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Holley

Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 AM
Sir Tripower
Racer

Hi folks,

thanks for your help once more!
I've ordered the gaskets at Amazon.com (Amazon.de did not offer them). I was astonished, that Amazon.com does offer so much Holley stuff.
As for the power-valve: I've checked that befor assembling and it works fine (sucking with my lips and feeling the piston working in and out ) so I think, that part doesn't leak.
The fuel-level is adjusted, as it should be: just below the rim of the sight-plug-hole, so that it just don't leak. That should be o.k. - or should I lower it a bit?

Gerrit
Old 09-25-2018, 05:18 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Hi folks,

thanks for your help once more!
I've ordered the gaskets at Amazon.com (Amazon.de did not offer them). I was astonished, that Amazon.com does offer so much Holley stuff.
As for the power-valve: I've checked that befor assembling and it works fine (sucking with my lips and feeling the piston working in and out ) so I think, that part doesn't leak.
The fuel-level is adjusted, as it should be: just below the rim of the sight-plug-hole, so that it just don't leak. That should be o.k. - or should I lower it a bit?

Gerrit
With the engine running it may slightly drip out if you have a loping idle, if your engine runs smooth it should start to drip if you give a push down on fender.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:39 AM
Sir Tripower
Racer

Originally Posted by suprspooky
With the engine running it may slightly drip out if you have a loping idle, if your engine runs smooth it should start to drip if you give a push down on fender.
That's the way it is!

Gerrit

Quick Reply: Leaking Holley