C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground cable question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:28 AM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Ground cable question

I've done a few searches and looked through posts, but cannot seem to find the info I'm looking for. I'm working on an '82 and I think the starter to frame grounding cable may need replaced. I'll know after I do a voltage drop test, but I haven't been able to find out what size the cable is. Is it 2 ga or 4 ga? And is it the same as the ground cable from the battery to the frame? Thanks.

MajD
Old 09-25-2018, 01:32 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by MajD
I've done a few searches and looked through posts, but cannot seem to find the info I'm looking for. I'm working on an '82 and I think the starter to frame grounding cable may need replaced. I'll know after I do a voltage drop test, but I haven't been able to find out what size the cable is. Is it 2 ga or 4 ga? And is it the same as the ground cable from the battery to the frame? Thanks.

MajD
Read the #5 Post. It's Alan so it's like gospel. probably the same for the starter. I'll see what else I find.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3961207-battery-to-starter-cable-size.html

https://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-cables-and-ground-straps/ground-cable-84799

Last edited by caskiguy; 09-25-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 09-25-2018, 02:18 PM
4corvettes
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 1968 and the wiring diagram shows a 2 gauge black wire from the frame to the starter. If you have a wiring diagram for your year, you should be able to check it there.
The following users liked this post:
MajD (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM
4corvettes
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As for your second question, according to the 68 wiring diagram, the battery to starter wire is also a 2 ga black wire on the positive terminal and a short 2 ga black wire from the negative terminal to the crossmember below it.
The following users liked this post:
MajD (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The battery negative to the frame is also 2 gauge 21 3/4".
The following 2 users liked this post by Peterbuilt:
caskiguy (09-25-2018), MajD (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:30 PM
MajD
Racer

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Thanks. I did read his post, but wasn't sure the starter ground cable wouldn't be different. I know a two gauge would work regardless, but I can source a 4 ga locally for way less than $30+ dollars. I just didn't want it too small.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default new eye

Originally Posted by MajD

MajD
find it hard to believe the copper wire is defective, maybe the eye that connects to the starter is corroded. is there an eye at the battery end?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:20 AM
MajD
Racer

Originally Posted by george2066
find it hard to believe the copper wire is defective, maybe the eye that connects to the starter is corroded. is there an eye at the battery end?
I haven't had the chance yet to do a voltage drop test. The starter grounding cable on my 79 has two lug terminals, one connected to the frame and the other to the engine block with the same bolt connecting the starter bracket to the block. The starter is grounded to the bracket, so there are a few things to check. I removed the starter for testing and cleaned everything up in that area just to be able to see where things were. I cleaned up the contact points at that time, and everything looked ok. The reason I'm suspicious of the starter grounding cable it that it was very stiff and difficult to move out of the way, which usually indicates corrosion on the strands underneath the insulation. Thanks.

MajD

Get notified of new replies

To Ground cable question

Quick Reply: Ground cable question