C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced rear strut rods now car sits uneven???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Marlon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replaced rear strut rods now car sits uneven???

I just replaced rear strut rods and spring cushions & hardware on my 71 LT-1. The strut rods are original type replacement. Car has original springs and replacement shocks. Until i replaced those items, the car was level, sat perfect and tracked straight. After replacing the above items, the passenger side sits 3/8" higher than the drivers side. Yes, the camber has not been equalized between sides, but will an out of adjustment camber setting cause one side to sit higher than the other?

The cushions and hardware are installed correctly and the bolts are equal length.

Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
I just replaced rear strut rods and spring cushions & hardware on my 71 LT-1. The strut rods are original type replacement. Car has original springs and replacement shocks. Until i replaced those items, the car was level, sat perfect and tracked straight. After replacing the above items, the passenger side sits 3/8" higher than the drivers side. Yes, the camber has not been equalized between sides, but will an out of adjustment camber setting cause one side to sit higher than the other?

The cushions and hardware are installed correctly and the bolts are equal length.

Any ideas?
I could see maybe some variance, but wouldn't think camber could account for that much. The "hardware" you mention, was that the spring attachment bolts? You made sure they have exactly the same number of threads below the nut? That's all I can see making a difference....
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Have you driven it since the strut refurb?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

It’s kind of a pain but loosen the the strut rod bolts, set the car down then tighten the strut rod bolts. They may be tight/binding if you tightened them with wheels in the air.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
It’s kind of a pain but loosen the the strut rod bolts, set the car down then tighten the strut rod bolts. They may be tight/binding if you tightened them with wheels in the air.

That, and having the spring bolts adjusted evenly....

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced rear strut rods now car sits uneven???

Quick Reply: Replaced rear strut rods now car sits uneven???