C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dial Indicator w Magnetic "arm" base or deck bridge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Dial Indicator w Magnetic "arm" base or deck bridge?

I'd like to be able to use a CHEAP dial indicator to be able to fairly accurately measure how far down the hole my pistons are AND to be able to more accurately measure ACTUAL top dead center when degreeing in my cam.

I'm unclear on whether I can use a magnetic base with the arms on them like this:
Amazon Amazon

Or whether I have to use a deck bridge like this:
Amazon Amazon

My understanding is that the kind with the arm is useful for more tasks than just measuring how far down the hole the piston is and when the piston's at TDC.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Milan454
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The magnetic base is the better option ONLY if you get a good one. Try Craig's list. I got a name brand one for cheap. The cheap ones on Amazon move and wiggle way too much. If you need to go cheap a bridge and using a piston stop method is the most economical accurate method.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I have several of the arm versions, much more versatile and cost effective. Not sure the brands of mine as one is super old and others have no markings but were not cheap when bought them(not too expensive though).
Old 10-12-2018, 09:37 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

A bridge is best for measuring deck height. But you can use a magnet if it's real steady in the arms. It takes a little care to measure. best to be right over pin..but you can also measure 90* to it by rocking piston all the way down and then all the way up and splitting difference.

For degreeing cam you want to use a piston stop to get true TDC and a very steady dial indicator to measure lobe movement.

For general all around use...I use these flex type. Easy to setup and work well vs all the pivot arms.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=ball+joi...03B0BD5FDDBB18

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 10-12-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

There is also a vise-grip base indicator mount. Harbor freight cheapie.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:10 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I have a magnetic type base from HF. IMHO its extremely difficult to work with, But better bases are $$$$$ so balance it against how often your going to use it. I'll be trying a flex arm style next time around.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:15 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,334 Posts

As any toolmaker, machinist, and operator will tell you cheap and good quality measurement tools really don't go hand in hand. If you are going to work on your car you will find a quality 0-1" indicator and a good mag base will pay for themselves over time. I only use Starrett, I think they have been one of the best for the past 100 years or so but I have the cheap ones tool. There is a big difference- I have a couple of those mag arm bases but the magnetic pull is weak on them all compared to my push button Starrett. The Chinese indicators have weak springs in them and often loose position without you knowing it. The few that had all broke in short time, the last one I have I use for a travel indicator for rough lathe work.

I would spent the money and get a good used set of ebay, they are always on there or I can sell you the fancy looking arm base sitting in my cabinet the past 5 years taking up space.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:34 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
As any toolmaker, machinist, and operator will tell you cheap and good quality measurement tools really don't go hand in hand. If you are going to work on your car you will find a quality 0-1" indicator and a good mag base will pay for themselves over time. I only use Starrett, I think they have been one of the best for the past 100 years or so but I have the cheap ones tool. There is a big difference- I have a couple of those mag arm bases but the magnetic pull is weak on them all compared to my push button Starrett. The Chinese indicators have weak springs in them and often loose position without you knowing it. The few that had all broke in short time, the last one I have I use for a travel indicator for rough lathe work.

I would spent the money and get a good used set of ebay, they are always on there or I can sell you the fancy looking arm base sitting in my cabinet the past 5 years taking up space.
I’m building one motor EVER then I’m getting rid of the tools, so cost effectiveness trumps most else. If the tool works for 8 cylinders and deferring the cam, I’m happy. If I could borrow the tool from O’Reilleys for two days and return it, I would but they don’t loan dial indicators. I’m not an engine builder; this will be my one and only old car and engine that I rebuild / restore/ mod myself.

Adam
Old 10-15-2018, 02:16 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Adam,
Let me look at my mag base setup and get back to you. I'm at work right now. I had no problems checking my flywheel with my setup. Worked great and I think it's just what your're looking for. Decent performance and not too expensive.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I used Starrett mag bases daily for 30 years but now very much favor the Noga base.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
I have a couple of those mag arm bases but the magnetic pull is weak on them all compared to my push button Starrett. The Chinese indicators have weak springs in them and often loose position without you knowing it
I'll agree on the weak bases, you need a nice solid mounting surface. The hardware is sketchy at best, I have hard time tightening down the *****...even after lubing the threads. But as Adam said, I'm never going to use it more than a handful of times so there's zero reason to buy something high end.

There're a bunch a youtube videos comparing Chinese dial indicators and other measuring devices to high end U.S. made and Japanese instruments. The imports are just as accurate. One guy compared spring strength and the import was actually stiffer than the high end model. I've check the accuracy of my 'Chinese' measuring tools and they're dead on....

I truly believe you get what you pay for, if I were a professional I'd have a set of high end instruments and tools. But I'm just a garage mechanic with one project car, entry level, but accurate instruments will work just fine.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:10 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

This is what I have and it works fine for light duty work.

I found these pictures on Harbor Freight but I don't think I bought them there as it came in a kit and these are listed separately on HF.

Get notified of new replies

To Dial Indicator w Magnetic "arm" base or deck bridge?

Quick Reply: Dial Indicator w Magnetic "arm" base or deck bridge?