C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vapor canister...do i really need it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 03:29 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default vapor canister...do i really need it?

there is no smog junk on my car...NONE...
but the vapor canister is still there...
connected to the line from the fuel tank and the large hose going to the carb...the others are just dangling there...
what will happen if i remove the canister and plug the line coming from the carb?
Old 10-26-2002, 03:47 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (SIGNGUY)

The vapor cannister simply catches the fuel vapors and prevents them from going into the atmosphere. It can also prevent you from having that pleasant fuel vapor smell in your car. Removing it, however, poses no real problem to your car. But as you pointed out, make sure you plug the hose to the carb, as it's a vacuum line.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:59 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that removing the vapor canister is not a problem. In addition to what Joe suggested, I would also remove the seperator valve on the fuel tank and plug the tank opening. You may also need a non sealed gas cap but I am not sure. Someone else may want to jump in on the cap.
Ed
Old 10-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (ED DINAPOLI)

Instead of plugging the seperator you can also run a short line with a filter on the end.

Marck
Old 10-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (Twin_Turbo)

I agree with the other fellows to a point. Be careful when refueling, that vapor canister is there to asorb vapors from when you attempt to "top off" your fuel tank and it also asorbs wet fuel when one puts too much fuel in their tank. which will ruin it and you will fail emissions. (if your state is unfortunate to require you to have emissions inspections).
Old 10-26-2002, 10:43 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it?

alrighty then...
it IS removed as is almost everything else in the engine bay including the engine...
we do not have emissions testing or vehicle inspections here in florida...
i am building a good old fashioned/back to basics small block engine like back in the "good old days" before "big brother" wanted to tell us how it should be done...
OH OH i shouldnt have said that...i think i hear helecopters circling the house!!
anyways...i am totaly going thru the engine bay detailing etc and removing everything that dosnt serve a purpose...i see it as excess weight and clutter...(sorry big brother)
the thing wasnt hooked to anything anyways...someone before me had already removed all of the other smog stuff and just left the hoses dangling there...

i dont think i want to go back to the fuel tank and do all of that removing...where the line is against the frame way down below, it really dosnt show anyways so i would like to terminate it there...

so...i guess i have two questions...
do i need a vented gas cap?
(or, if i want to keep mine, can i just drill a hole in it?)

and...will my car/garage stink of gas if i do remove it?
i mean... they didnt have these things in years past and cars/garages didnt stink of gas then???)
thanx for your help guys :)
Old 10-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Vented cap.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:33 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (Oldguard 7)

or vent line :)
Old 10-27-2002, 06:06 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Sign, it's one of those things that don't hurt to keep, maybe a slight improvement in fuel economy, but that's theoretical at best....
the line to the canister will vent the tank just fine...the check valve up top on drivers's end of tank can be gotten to, but it's a hell of a reach with the exhaust in the way....maybe you can get up there and feel around....there is a one way float valve that is supposed to stop gas from going into the vent line, but sinks down letting gasses escape....

it's a harmless system, performance wise....main suck line goes to the carb base /manifold into the PCV line, which is another harmless thing...

GENE
Old 10-27-2002, 06:10 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (Twin_Turbo)

or vent line :)
so...i block the line and use a vented cap...
OR
vent the end of the line and keep the same unvented cap...
my choice?
either way is ok and i wont have a gasoline smell in my car or garage...correct?
if this is so...i have no further questions... :) and thanx again guys
Old 10-27-2002, 06:10 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Sign, it's one of those things that don't hurt to keep, maybe a slight improvement in fuel economy, but that's theoretical at best....
the line to the canister will vent the tank just fine...the check valve up top on drivers's end of tank can be gotten to, but it's a hell of a reach with the exhaust in the way....maybe you can get up there and feel around....there is a one way float valve that is supposed to stop gas from going into the vent line, but sinks down letting gasses escape....

it's a harmless system, performance wise....main suck line goes to the carb base /manifold into the PCV line, which is another harmless thing...

I think all this reformulated type gasolines, a phrase describing more modern gasolines, but has in fact been going on for history of gasoline....
but the new stuff out today is much more evaporative stinky....and prone to evaporation fumes....much more so than the old leaded gas....so having said that, I think it will be more noticeable in a garage, or even driving down a road, with the tank not properly vented.....YMMV....

GENE
Old 10-27-2002, 06:23 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (mrvette)

good morning gene :) i guess we're the early birds :)
so...you think there will be an odor huh?
i wonder why there wasnt that odor back before these type systems?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:15 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is missing its canister and I'm actually planning on ADDING one. The smell of gas makes me nervous. I don't want to smell it unless I have a leak. As it is right now I'm ALWAYS looking for leaks but I don't have any. Still I keep getting wiffs of gas though. BTW My car is kept outside, I can't imagine what a garage would smell like.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:18 AM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

SIGNGUY,
I did remove my vapor system on my 74. The reason I removed it ws due to the falure of my seperator vavle. These are not replaceable with new stock and are hard to find used. I did plug the tank and I am using a vented cap. I dont get any gas fumes. I know my 67 vette did not have a vapor system and it worked fine with no fumes. Hope this help.
Ed
Old 10-27-2002, 08:25 AM
Road Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (Oldguard 7)

Vented cap.
:hat
Old 10-27-2002, 09:48 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (Cookwithvette)

My car is missing its canister and I'm actually planning on ADDING one. The smell of gas makes me nervous. I don't want to smell it unless I have a leak. As it is right now I'm ALWAYS looking for leaks but I don't have any. Still I keep getting wiffs of gas though. BTW My car is kept outside, I can't imagine what a garage would smell like.
is the line from the tank to the canister blocked or vented?
is your cap vented?
i am trying to figure out why some stink and some do not...
Old 10-27-2002, 08:02 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

My canister line is currently blocked with one of Bubba's bolts. My fuel return line is similarly blocked. Both are solidly plugged. I don't think my cap is vented but I honestly don't know for certain. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:42 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: vapor canister...do i really need it? (Cookwithvette)

My canister line is currently blocked with one of Bubba's bolts. My fuel return line is similarly blocked. Both are solidly plugged. I don't think my cap is vented but I honestly don't know for certain. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
im wondering if the rest of your emissions are removed as well...EGR, pump etc...
im wondering if maybe you "get the stink" because somebody plugged the lines but left the other stuff hooked up...
i mean, like the rest of you, i have seen thousands of hot rods with a typical V8 engine (like mine will be) and no such bull on them...why dont they stink?
why cant my car be that way too without a stink or vapor problem? something is wrong with this picture...

Get notified of new replies

To vapor canister...do i really need it?

Quick Reply: vapor canister...do i really need it?