C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch aligment tool for 74 Muncie M21

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:16 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Clutch aligment tool for 74 Muncie M21

I need to change the pilot bushing in my 74 with a Muncie M21 so I will need the alignment tool.

It seems that the specs for the transmission are:
  • 1971-'74 M21 2.20:1 ratio 26-spline 1-inch shaft; 1 groove; 32-spline output shaft
I have been looking for aligment tools but I only found 1-5/32" with 26 splines.

Does anybody know what it is the right alignment tool for the job?

BTW, any recommendations for clutches? Maybe a good time to take advantage and change it as well.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by corvetero
I need to change the pilot bushing in my 74 with a Muncie M21 so I will need the alignment tool.

• 1971-'74 M21 2.20:1 ratio 26-spline 1-inch shaft; 1 groove; 32-spline output shaft
I have been looking for aligment tools but I only found 1-5/32" with 26 splines.

BTW, any recommendations for clutches? Maybe a good time to take advantage and change it as well.

Thanks
If you are buying a clutch kit, the kit will come with the alignment tool... If you are not buying a kit, email me I've probably got an extra laying around. Service@Willcoxcorvette.com
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Differing opinions on clutches, but I have been very pleased with McLeod on a couple of cars now. Depending on your engine power, Street Pro (up to 400hp - organic) or Super Street Pro (500hp - organic & ceramic). I am running the Super Street Pro now and like the hold and the clutch pedal, etc. Keep in mind that you should pull the flywheel and have it resurfaced & balanced if you are replacing the clutch.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:06 AM
corvetero
Pro

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
If you are buying a clutch kit, the kit will come with the alignment tool... If you are not buying a kit, email me I've probably got an extra laying around. Service@Willcoxcorvette.com
Thank you, I will keep in mind, although I will likely be buying a new clutch kit

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
Differing opinions on clutches, but I have been very pleased with McLeod on a couple of cars now. Depending on your engine power, Street Pro (up to 400hp - organic) or Super Street Pro (500hp - organic & ceramic). I am running the Super Street Pro now and like the hold and the clutch pedal, etc. Keep in mind that you should pull the flywheel and have it resurfaced & balanced if you are replacing the clutch.
I read these McLeod needs to be balanced along with the flywheel. How true is that? I thought they are factory balanced, same as the flywheel is..

Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I have had my flywheels surfaced and balanced, and installed clutches out of the box without any issues or funny vibrations, etc.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:59 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Clutch opinions are all over the board...up to 450+ Gross HP which is my 355 L-82 has, I used a RAM HDX which I love.

As for the Clutch alignment tool, the plastic alignment tools that come with the clutch kits are frankly junk and not very useable. Those tools are good to generally setup the clutch alignment for install. I fought with my engine install with clutch and the 4 speed still in the car for hours since I could not get the clutch to slide the last 2 inches onto the 4 speed shaft.

Solution:

Once the package is 2 inches from final complete install, hook the clutch pedal linkage up completely, have a helper step on the clutch pedal in the car, and BINGO, everything will complete slide into place as it needs to be. DON"T WASTE time using the plastic clutch tool to get the alignment perfect..only old fashion steel long clutch tools will work correctly, not the plastic ones in the kits.......

Last edited by jb78L-82; 10-11-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by corvetero

Thanks
I think you are confusing the countershaft diameter with the input shaft. The input shaft should be 1-1/8" 26 spline shaft. The countershaft is a 1" diameter with earlier Muncies using a 7/8" countershaft diameter.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:33 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Sigforty is right. JB is right on the install method too.

The alignment tool that comes with the clutch will fit the disk they supplied you with so it will fit the disk you install. Some clutch kits do not include the tool so watch for that.

Not recommended but...I have cobbled the tool together myself in the past with sockets and extension bars masking taped together in a real pinch. Not great but it gets the job done. Get the disk eyeballed right in the center before you start torquing the pressure plate down. Tighten the pressure plate and put it all together. Use the pedal helper method to get the tranny the last part of the way in. Do not allow the transmission weight to hang causing bending damage to the disk so keep transmission supported while you get it installed. DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT IN WITH THE TRANSMISSION MOUNTING BOLTS. You can break off the aluminum ears on the case.

How are you planning to remove the old bushing? Grease method? Im old school.

Last edited by stingr69; 10-14-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If you can, see if you have a friend with a spare input shaft. That is THE best alignment tool that there is.

I recently did my clutch, again, and initially used the plastic tool to hold the disk while I put on the pressure plate. When there was enough tension to hold the disc, I pulled out the plastic tool and put in a spare input shaft. The disc moved quite a bit until the input found its center. That means to me, had I not done this, I would have needed someone to step on the clutch pedal while I moved the trans into position.

This is my 3rd clutch set up in the car since Ive owned it. I had a Mcleod Street Pro behind my stock 454, and I loved it. I had a Super Street pro behind my current motor, but didn't like the way it chewed up my flywheel when inspected upon recent transmission removal... mcleod puts the bronze pucks on the side that faces the flywheel. Ram power grip faces pucks towards pressure plate. I now have a Ram 310M disc with a 402 pressure plate. Im hoping this organic set up lives behind this motor.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

my plastic one worked perfect last time i used it.. trany slid right in...
Old 10-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Plastic one might work perfectly..... or it might not. Trans input shaft will more likely reproduce the same results over and over with little variance between different units. I wouldn't put the same faith in every plastic tool.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 PM
corvetero
Pro

Thank yall for your tips and feedbacks.

I removed the transmission this weekend with the help of a friend of mine and his post jack lift.

The thing is that before removing the transmission we found out where the vibration problem, by around 4k rpm, came from. The rear tail bushing was badly damaged hence the yoke, they were original ones. Gearbox internals are in quite good and clean conditions though.

Flywheel and clutch seems to be in good conditions as well.

I will replace the gearbox seals and gasket with the ones I got from Paul Canglalosi along with U-joint bushing, throwout Bearing and retainers for the Hurst shifter.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch aligment tool for 74 Muncie M21

Quick Reply: Clutch aligment tool for 74 Muncie M21