C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column part

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
marc9889
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Steering column part

Sirs,
I have a '72 with a 4 speed Muncie. Can anyone tell me what this part is called, and did manual transmission cars come from the factory with this on the column? On my car, it rotates around the column freely, which causes issues when turning the ignition switch. What does it connect to on a manual transmission car?

Old 07-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Marc,
The lever is part of the reverse ignition switch lock and steering wheel lock.
There is a cable that runs from that lever at the firewall to the reverse lever on the transmission.
When functioning properly, moving the shifter to reverse moves the cable which locks the steering wheel from being turned, and, allows the key to be removed from the ignition switch.
All 4 speed cars had this feature. (Automatic transmission cars had a similar system.)
Here're a couple of photos.
Regards,
Alan

Shifting into reverse moves the cable which pushes the lever up. The steering wheel locks and the key can be removed.
The column is in the 'locked' position in this photo.

Here's the cable connection at the transmission reverse lever.

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-28-2017 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marc9889 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM
marc9889
Instructor

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks Alan!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:34 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by marc9889
That's exactly what I needed. Thanks Alan!
If you don't want to replace the cable, I've seen customers wire them in place as a temporary fix.

Willcox
Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 PM
marc9889
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
If you don't want to replace the cable, I've seen customers wire them in place as a temporary fix.

Willcox
Mine is wired to hold it in place at the moment. Do you guys sell that cable, clips, etc?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just to give you a 'heads-up'

IF you are planning on putting that cable in do not be surprised that the cable end that is clipped too the bracket that is bolted to your transmission is going to be a TOTAL PAIN.

When I do them I remove the bracket off the transmission and attach the cable to it and then are-attach the cable bracket to the transmission....The reason is ...that cable is going to FIGHT you due to it lacks flexibility.

DUB
Old 07-28-2017, 06:08 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Mine has been wire tied up for over 40 years without an issue.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:08 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Mine is wired to hold it in place at the moment. Do you guys sell that cable, clips, etc?
Transmission Control Interlock Cable Bracket. 4 Speed 69-73
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-4-speed-69-73

Transmission Control Interlock Cable Bracket. 4 Speed 69-75
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-4-speed-69-75

Transmission Control Interlock Cable 4 speed. 69-76 replacement
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...eed-69-76-repl

Transmission Control Interlock Cable 4 speed. 69-76 Correct
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-76-repl-26672

Park Brake Cable / Trans Lock Cable Retainer Clip 65-82
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ner-clip-65-82

The replacement cables work just fine too, unless you are going NCRS.

Willcox
marc9889 (07-31-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM
marc9889
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Transmission Control Interlock Cable Bracket. 4 Speed 69-73
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-4-speed-69-73

Transmission Control Interlock Cable Bracket. 4 Speed 69-75
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-4-speed-69-75

Transmission Control Interlock Cable 4 speed. 69-76 replacement
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...eed-69-76-repl

Transmission Control Interlock Cable 4 speed. 69-76 Correct
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-76-repl-26672

Park Brake Cable / Trans Lock Cable Retainer Clip 65-82
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ner-clip-65-82

The replacement cables work just fine too, unless you are going NCRS.

Willcox
One more thing - You might consider putting together a hardware kit for people who want to eliminate the cable. Just a "whatever-it-takes to keep the lever in the right position kit". My result was a good bit less elegant that what you could probably offer.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One more thing - You might consider putting together a hardware kit for people who want to eliminate the cable. Just a "whatever-it-takes to keep the lever in the right position kit". My result was a good bit less elegant that what you could probably offer.
Removed the cable, rotated the lever to the "lock" position, hit it with a small tack weld, and cut the lever off. End of problems.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

YEP...keeping the tab in the correct position does not take a lot of imagination to make it work. I will have it secured in place in less time than it would to call and order a 'part' to by-pass it. I do not even take the time to cut off the lever.

DUB
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Removed the cable, rotated the lever to the "lock" position, hit it with a small tack weld, and cut the lever off. End of problems.
Some 22 years ago, up north yet, I installed a late shark TT wheel/column assy instead of the stock fixed bus driver wheel....and so I also removed that interlock lever/tube assy, but now I wonder if maybe I can find the parts to put it back, because of grandsons.....but I suspect that after 22 years, anyone wanna BET I can't find those damn PARTS?? much less that it's been changed from a 4 speed to a 200 4r..... guess I need go junkyarding..look at how other vehicles got the problem solved.....
Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Two words...LINE LOCK. The rear wheels will lock down and the car will not move if that is your concern if they take the car out of gear.

Might be a bit easier than totally taking a steering column apart to but the lever and tube back in.

DUB
Stingre' (03-31-2021)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:58 AM
ku4sd
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about this lever too. I just purchased my 74 about 3 weeks ago and I am trying to fix the things I find. I replaced my interlock cable yesterday because I noticed it was severely kinked. I now know why it was kinked, the lever will not go all the way to the 1 O'clock position. If I would force the shift lever from drive to neutral, reverse, or Park, I would ruin the new cable. It is disconnected on the steering column end right now, but it is hard to get the key out of the ignition, and it won't go into accessory. The lever turns very free, but it sounds like it is hitting a hard stop somewhere at the base of the steering column on the inside of the vehicle and it won't go from 3 to 1 o'clock. Any guesses what is causing this?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:41 AM
marc9889
Instructor

Originally Posted by ku4sd
I have a question about this lever too. I just purchased my 74 about 3 weeks ago and I am trying to fix the things I find. I replaced my interlock cable yesterday because I noticed it was severely kinked. I now know why it was kinked, the lever will not go all the way to the 1 O'clock position. If I would force the shift lever from drive to neutral, reverse, or Park, I would ruin the new cable. It is disconnected on the steering column end right now, but it is hard to get the key out of the ignition, and it won't go into accessory. The lever turns very free, but it sounds like it is hitting a hard stop somewhere at the base of the steering column on the inside of the vehicle and it won't go from 3 to 1 o'clock. Any guesses what is causing this?
On my column, the lever travel is limited by the housing itself. Using your left hand (sitting in the car), grab the column (nearest the dash) and turn it counter clockwise as far as it will go. With your right hand, turn the ignition switch to the accessory position. If it doesn't turn to accy normally, then the issue probably isn't related to the lever or cable.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM
ku4sd
4th Gear

On my column, the lever travel is limited by the housing itself. Using your left hand (sitting in the car), grab the column (nearest the dash) and turn it counter clockwise as far as it will go. With your right hand, turn the ignition switch to the accessory position. If it doesn't turn to accy normally, then the issue probably isn't related to the lever or cable.
Thanks, but I did look at that, the housing will limit it in the other direction. There it hits long before the housing stops it.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

'ku4sd'

IF the lever that your interlock cable attaches to can move relatively free...but not go all the way. ( if I read what you wrote correctly) Then you do have an issue internally in the column.

The column would have to be taken apart so you can watch how the lower portion of your column rotates ( that is hidden by that plastic cupped shield) and see what is causing the inability of the lock cylinder to be able to turn...which can be due to the toothed slide on the left side of the column on the inside.

I have had these columns be where the lever was really hard to move but still work..and it can be due the grease gets super hard and not allow that portion of the tube to smoothly rotate.

I am assuming that your column is correct for your year model....and I am assuming that it is a tele-tilt column.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column part

Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 PM
ku4sd
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
'ku4sd'

IF the lever that your interlock cable attaches to can move relatively free...but not go all the way. ( if I read what you wrote correctly) Then you do have an issue internally in the column.

The column would have to be taken apart so you can watch how the lower portion of your column rotates ( that is hidden by that plastic cupped shield) and see what is causing the inability of the lock cylinder to be able to turn...which can be due to the toothed slide on the left side of the column on the inside.

I have had these columns be where the lever was really hard to move but still work..and it can be due the grease gets super hard and not allow that portion of the tube to smoothly rotate.

I am assuming that your column is correct for your year model....and I am assuming that it is a tele-tilt column.

DUB
I think that is what I am going to do. Which part # in the picture in the first post of this thread is the toothed slide?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:51 AM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Marc,
The lever is part of the reverse ignition switch lock and steering wheel lock.
There is a cable that runs from that lever at the firewall to the reverse lever on the transmission.
When functioning properly, moving the shifter to reverse moves the cable which locks the steering wheel from being turned, and, allows the key to be removed from the ignition switch.
All 4 speed cars had this feature. (Automatic transmission cars had a similar system.)
Here're a couple of photos.
Regards,
Alan

Shifting into reverse moves the cable which pushes the lever up. The steering wheel locks and the key can be removed.
The column is in the 'locked' position in this photo.

Here's the cable connection at the transmission reverse lever.
So when you put the car in reverse the steering locks??? Is that what you just said???? Thats going to be tricky driving backwards...hahahaha

MaYbe say, with car in reverse it allows the key to be removed, which is how the steering locks.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by ku4sd
I think that is what I am going to do. Which part # in the picture in the first post of this thread is the toothed slide?
I do not know what you mean by 'toothed side'???

DUB

Quick Reply: Steering column part