C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum 327/350 68' vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:03 PM
greggome
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default vacuum 327/350 68' vette

I had been running ported vacuum to my distributor. Since my Q jet does not have a connection for manifold vacuum I used a t fitting to connect directly from my manifold to the distributor vacuum canister. Once I did this I started hearing a rattling sound. I checked around and it seemed to be coming from the distributor or the canister. Pinching off the vacuum to the canister and the sound stopped. I have checked the canister applying a vacuum to it and it does move and holds until the vacuum is released. I left it connected and the car seemed to run okay. Any ideas on whats causing this and if something needs replacement? I switched back to ported for now.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 AM
4corvettes
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure, but, if you are sharing manifold vacuum with another component via your tee fitting, then could that possibly be the rattling noise? Do you have a PCV hose coming off your manifold vacuum port as well?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by greggome
I had been running ported vacuum to my distributor. Since my Q jet does not have a connection for manifold vacuum I used a t fitting to connect directly from my manifold to the distributor vacuum canister. Once I did this I started hearing a rattling sound. I checked around and it seemed to be coming from the distributor or the canister. Pinching off the vacuum to the canister and the sound stopped. I have checked the canister applying a vacuum to it and it does move and holds until the vacuum is released. I left it connected and the car seemed to run okay. Any ideas on whats causing this and if something needs replacement? I switched back to ported for now.
Greg,

Go read this, it'll help you understand timing and vacuum http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/c...m-advance-101/

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
Kerz (11-04-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:37 PM
greggome
Racer

It shares the lines with accessory wipers and headlights using the T.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Hi Greg, If your carb is the original 68 I don't think there is a ported vacuum. There are 2 vacuum ports, one on the right side by the divorced choke and another on the lower front left. Both are manifold vacuum sources. The side tube was used for the smog pump and the front one was for distributor advance but both are manifold vacuum. My 69 is the same as they didn't start using ported vacuum until later.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 10-16-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 PM
greggome
Racer

thanks for the info. I do have a pretty good grasp on ported vs manifold vacuum pros cons and history but the detailed info is a refresher. I had been running manifold vacuum with a holley. Recently swapped back to the original Q Jet. The original 68 Q jet has no ports on the carb for manifold vacuum like the holly did. I tried the T fitting to return to manifold vacuum but got that funny rattle from the distributor/vacuum canister. The car runs fine on the ported just a little less smooth off the line and car doesn't seem to run any hotter than it did when I used to run manifold vacuum. Since the rattle was a concern I just returned back to the ported set up.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 PM
greggome
Racer

All smog stuff is off this car. The only vacuum port available is on the rear of the manifold close to the distributor. One hose exits this port for the accessories :headlights and wipers.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I wonder if maybe the rod on the advance canister is rattling against the stop with full vacuum as you said it was coming from the advance can area. When you first said a rattle I thought it might be the check ball in the pcv valve but that's not near the advance can. You could try one of the two vacuum sources on the carb and see if you still have the rattle as those are both manifold vacuum with a 68.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 10-16-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 PM
greggome
Racer

The port on the lower front left is the ported attachment on my carb no vacuum is produced from this at idle. the other right side port has a hose is attached to the choke not sure if this is manifold vacuum.

Get notified of new replies

To vacuum 327/350 68' vette

Quick Reply: vacuum 327/350 68' vette