C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the button pin from tach drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 AM
Daverizzo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing the button pin from tach drive

Hi all, I’m working on my 72 454 4 spd distributor and I want to replace the nylon button for drive gear that looks like it is no longer there. But the small pin in the rear is there. How do I get this out. Is it a set screw with Allen head or a drive pin? Should I punch it out with small punch? I already ordered nylon button and gear w washer.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Daverizzo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoops, As soon as I put my heavy duty punch on it, it fell out. It was just left over nylon from the original button. That was easy enough.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

hope the rest of the project goes smoothly
Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Daverizzo
Whoops, As soon as I put my heavy duty punch on it, it fell out. It was just left over nylon from the original button. That was easy enough.
Yes, as a distributor re-builder, once you knock the old out you'll need to replace the button... But other things you should check is the top bushing as well as the coupling having a groove in it.... there is more info on this on our tech site at this link http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=&s=distributor

You can check this on a distributor machine and the key is to check the dwell while the distributor is spooling up. When you spool up the distributor either in an engine or on the machine if the dwell opens as you rev it up, then there is an issue with the upper bushing.

The other issue is if the cross shaft is bad in the distributor then the main shaft is more than likely bad. So don't replace the cross shaft without replacing the main shaft.

Now... while upper and lower bushings are available, and so are the installation tools.... Most don't have the correct ream to run through the bushings once they have been installed. When you install new bushings even with the correct installation tool... they will compress.... so the ream is monumental in making sure the clearance is correct for the shaft and bushing. We sell the heck out of the bushing kits but how these people install them correctly I have no idea (unless they have the correct ream).

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the button pin from tach drive

Quick Reply: Removing the button pin from tach drive