C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up stuff from machine ship tomorrow: What should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Baked and Blasted

My first post here in some 2 - 3 years

Sorry you've had difficulties with dirty IRON blocks and IRON heads.

Next time choose an auto machine shop which has the proper equipment ... then specify your chosen method. ... but, in a nutshell, to clean:
First via BAKING then Followed via BLASTING. First time I saw baked and blasted heads & blocks I thought they were brand new.

Special care must be taken with ALUMINUM.

Baking = high heat oven
Blasting = high pressure wash

PLEASE READ this linked article on engine cleaning published in professional trade magazine ... a real-world comprehensive guide to cleaning. There's also a wealth of other articles there to help y'all out.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...ds-and-blocks/

jackson

The following 2 users liked this post by jackson:
CA-Legal-Vette (11-18-2018), NewbVetteGuy (11-26-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Have it redone somewhere else. I bet its all half ***.
This is what I would do as well. Sounds like you were taken for a ride IMO and wouldn't trust anything they did. Good luck with anything you decide to do.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
That's awfully sloppy on the piston clearance. Forged pistons, when in-spec, run at .0025 to .0030 (two-and-a-half to 3 thousands). Pistons with .0045 slop are usually considered worn out and out of tolerance in a street car. Is the shop really recommending that as a "good" spec...?

Lars
I followed up on this and 4.5 thousandths for cast pistons is outside of the GM spec for cast pistons

Road Use: 0.0015- 0.0025
Street/Strip: 0.0025- 0.0030
Racing: 0.0030 - 0.0040

But the old forged pistons are a high expansion alloy and the specs are much wider:
Road use: 0.0040- 0.0050
Street/ Strip: 0.0050 - 0.0060
Racing: 0.0055- 0.0065

So I'm right in the middle of the range for road use; very happy with that.

Adam
Old 11-18-2018, 11:17 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I could use some help with bearing clearances.

http://www.chevytech.info/1c6o1.html

The link above says the main bearing bore spec range for Medium Journal SBCs is 2.6406- 2.6415, but it doesn't list the bearing clearance spec range for medium journal bearings (only small and large).

Can anyone tell me what the medium journal clearance range SHOULD BE?

The only two measurements I got from the machine shop say: "2.4482 / 2.4488" and "2.0985 / 2.0990"

Adam
Old 11-18-2018, 04:30 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Adam,
Not 100 % sure but those numbers are probably for the bearing bores in the block where the bearings are installed. Not the bearing shell to crank clearance.

You need to be checking the bearing to crank dimensions. Check in several places on each journal so you can check for any eccentric "egg shaped" wear. We are double checking the work the shop should have checked.

The 350 crankshaft main journal needs to be 2.0985" diameter at a minimum in order to run a standard bearing shell. If your crank mains measures smaller than that, you will need undersize main bearings. If your journals are .001" smaller than that, run a .001" smaller bearing shell. They make .002" if needed.

The 350 crankshaft rod journal needs to me at least 2.4479" diameter in order to run a standard size bearing shell. If your crank rod journals measures smaller than that, you will need undersize rod bearings. If your journals are .001" smaller than that, run a .001" smaller bearing shell. They make .002" if needed.

The numbers the shop gave you could be the largest and smallest journal dimensions they found. Hope this helps you ask the right questions.

Last edited by stingr69; 11-18-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Mixed bearing shells

You can also mix undersize bearing shells.
perhaps you need to make up only 0.0005" ???
put a standard shell in rod cap and a "one" (undersize 0.001") into rod; same method for mains OK. Put the thickest shell in rod or block.
Many good race motors built this way SOP.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

It's stuff like this that makes me very grateful and thankful for the machine shop where I have my work done. I know they're busy with high-end builds, so I take my junk in during their off season and tell them to call when it's finished. Spot-on work from the best in the business.

RaceShop at Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock - thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by L88Plus
It's stuff like this that makes me very grateful and thankful for the machine shop where I have my work done. I know they're busy with high-end builds, so I take my junk in during their off season and tell them to call when it's finished. Spot-on work from the best in the business.

Exactly^^^^^^^^^

Unless you really now what you are doing, I would not be experimenting on my own engine....................
Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Nevermind.
Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 11-23-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sky65
How can you trust anything that shop said, 0045" clearance, with the blatant disregard for your instructions and the poor quality of their work? Then question Lars. One of the most respected guys on this forum. And Jim, who also has loads of real experience, gives advise and you ignore him too. Then you continue to ask for advise when you obviously won't take it.

I just don't get it.
Tom
Tom. You're not getting it, because you're missing some information and are jumping to some incorrect conclusions.

I don't trust anything the shop said.
I didn't get the piston to bore sizing recommendations that I posted from the machine shop, but reposted them from another source. -It would seem that Lars was talking about (and correct about) piston-to-wall clearances for cast stock pistons; the old forged pistons expand a lot more and need larger clearances. You can use the Google to look this stuff up. It's not that I'm ignoring the advice that I'm getting it's that I get a lot of different advice from a lot of people that conflicts and I'm taking ownership of getting to the truth and tracking things down when there's a difference of opinions. (Blindly trusting off-the-cuff advice from an internet forum without double-checking it doesn't seem like a good recipe for success.)

Some of the advice is focused on things I COULD HAVE done if my decision on what to have done at the machine shop was in the FUTURE, it was not. When I created this thread, the machining was already done, I was just picking things up. Its hard to take advice in the past; I have a Corvette; not a Delorean.

This is just supposed to be a cheapy refreshed stock bottom-end L82 rebuild with some good heads and a roller cam up top. I have no desire to put $2,000 - $3,000 in the bottom-end at this point in time. Later on when it gets rebuilt, I will either buy a CNC Motorsports GM 383 short block or a CNC Motorsports Dart SHP short block and strap all the top-end components on it. If I had infinite money and wanted to put infinite amounts of money into the bottom-end I could follow all the advice on here and just say "yes" to every machining operation.

-I'm not sure why you would expect someone to just start an internet forum thread and take ALL the advice and literally do an engine build that just does what all the posts of the thread say (especially when many of the posts conflict with each other). -Ever seen the Simpson's "Homermobile" episode?

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 11-26-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:55 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by L88Plus

Definitely jealous you've got Scoggin-Dickey down the street!

Adam
Old 11-26-2018, 01:16 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
It's not that I'm ignoring the advice that I'm getting it's that I get a lot of different advice from a lot of people that conflicts and I'm taking ownership of getting to the truth and tracking things down when there's a difference of opinions. (Blindly trusting off-the-cuff advice from an internet forum without double-checking it doesn't seem like a good recipe for success.)

This is just supposed to be a cheapy refreshed stock bottom-end L82 rebuild

Adam
Engine building is not an exact science. To say your looking for truth is to imply someone is telling a mis-truth. That’s simply not correct. There are many opinions as to what’s right and many of them are right. It’s important to filter out what’s the wrong way versus trying to find the one right way. You seem to ask questions looking for a particular answer....that’s bad bad science.

And by your own words your NOT doing a cheapy bottom end L82 rebuild. Your building an L82 with modern machining, parts and build techniques. There’s nothing cheap about that.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim2527
Engine building is not an exact science. To say your looking for truth is to imply someone is telling a mis-truth. That’s simply not correct.

Some things really are that simple. Sometimes people say things that are not the truth / sometimes people are wrong. I don't understand why that's so controversial.

. You seem to ask questions looking for a particular answer....that’s bad bad science.
I'd say I know the goals that I have and some people make recommendations based upon their goals which might be totally different from mine, so I can kinda see where you might get that impression, but the purpose of this thread was literally "I'm going to the machine shop, what things should I be sure to ask them before I pick my stuff up." -I don't even know what the answers to that question might be, so definitely not looking for a particular answer; it's a very open-ended question.

-Example: My build will NOT be a high RPM build, any advice that's focused on a high RPM engine is kinda not applicable.
I'm looking to keep a mostly stock bottom-end L82 and put some good top-end components on it and run it until it needs a rebuild and THEN put money into the bottom-end. -Any advice that says to spend a bunch of money now and buy new pistons or a new crank, is not applicable to where I'm looking to go.
I'm looking to use the numbers-matching block and keep the numbers for this rebuild. -Any advice that says to go buy a crate motor or a new short block, is not applicable to where I'm looking to go.

-It's not that I'm looking for a particular answer to everything, but I DO know at a high level where I want to go.

When I ask what things I should ask the machine shop when I pick the parts up that's a real and open-ended question; I don't even know what the answers might be so I'm not looking for a particular answer, I'm just posting up some example questions that I wonder about.

And by your own words your NOT doing a cheapy bottom end L82 rebuild. Your building an L82 with modern machining, parts and build techniques. There’s nothing cheap about that.
That's a good point. I've definitely got some money into this thing.

I literally planned on just bolting my top-end parts onto the block originally, but then I decided I should pull the engine to make replacing the RMS and flex plate much, MUCH easier. Then I decided I wanted to paint the block and then new rings and a hone scope creeped their way in. Now I'm kinda drawing the line on any more scope creep and I'm just looking to get it reassembled well and run the thing.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 11-26-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Adam,

FWIW, I did not torque plate my block either in 2014 when I did my rebuild/upgrade on my L-82 with 66,000 OEM miles but I did need to bore the block .030. I did have to replace the TRW L-82 OEM L-82 pistons/rings with JE Forged Pistons/Rings. I also reused the OEM forged L-82 crank, polished and Straightened, New bearings, reconditioned the L-82 rods, everything balanced with a new clutch kit etc.

Assuming that pistons seal reasonably well (9:1?), what cylinder heads are you using and specs?, and cam type and specs, roller?

Assuming a compression of >10:1 with top quality heads and a roller cam with moderate specs for peak mid range torque, you will be shocked at the power potential in the L-82 350, as it is.
I guess I am confused since it appears what you are after is mostly what I did in 2014 ^^^^ using the numbers matching L-82 block and many of the OEM components BUT with upgrades along the way with pistons (because I had to ), roller cam and AFR heads. It was not cheap but it looks like an OEM L-82 cruises like an OEM L-82 BUT goes like stink at any throttle input of off idle and cruise...AND I mean GOES....
Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I guess I am confused since it appears what you are after is mostly what I did in 2014 ^^^^ using the numbers matching L-82 block and many of the OEM components BUT with upgrades along the way with pistons (because I had to ), roller cam and AFR heads. It was not cheap but it looks like an OEM L-82 cruises like an OEM L-82 BUT goes like stink at any throttle input of off idle and cruise...AND I mean GOES....
Yea, it's funny because I know we've been on threads discussing the merits of doing a rebuild with 355 cubes vs. 383 and I ended up very close to your build in the end. I've been slowly copying where you went with your suspension, too, so I guess I'm doing a JB78L-82 clone build (except for my intake and EFI).

I'm obviously using the stock pistons, though. I've got $998 Jegs Profiler heads, a fairly aggressive Mike Jones Roller cam, and a weird TPI-style FIRST Fuel injection intake to go with the Holley HP EFI. -Then crank trigger ignition with LS COP ignition coils.
Mine sure won't look remotely like stock, though.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 11-26-2018 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jb78L-82 (11-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Picking up stuff from machine ship tomorrow: What should I ask?