C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my motor is done for. please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:18 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingydonut
hahaha about an hour north of NYC, list of things included in that 1500 dollars, tune up, air filter, new belts, new fluids, new wires, cap and plugs, new headlight switch (apparently thats a real bitch to replace), rag joint replacement (i included my own rag joint), oil sending switch replaced, few missing bulbs replaced.... still 1500 is a stretch for that... and actually it was more like 1650.
wow.. its shops like that that created the concept of rip off mechanics.. and the headlight switch replace is not difficult in the least ... You need to find an older mechanic, 55+..familiar with Small blocks chevy motors and not reliant on OBD to tell him what to do .. I would pull the valve covers and compare rocker movement for a burned cam lobe or a bad lifter . good luck..
Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Back in 80-82 aa a tech we used to hope we could clear a check engine light with a part.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:57 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Do the diagnostics to figure out exactly what the issue is before you start installing new parts.
Installing a new cam and lifters is a lot of work.
It's not difficult, just time consuming.
The intake manifold, everything on the front of the motor and radiator needs to be removed.
If that wasn't the issue you've spent time and money for nothing.
You would be like that crappy mechanic and ripping yourself off and still not fixing your problem.
Take your time figure it out and find the issue, then if you have to replace something, research the best fix and if your State allows upgrades and performance mods, do what you can to pull some extra horsepower out from that motor.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:44 AM
Kerz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep us updated on your progress.
Vic
Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

as Lars and I both said earlier, take off the valve covers and run the engine with the valve covers off for a minute. Yes it's messy. Watch all 16 rockers, if they're all moving the same amount up and down your camshaft is okay. You may need to do some valve adjusting stuff like that but the cam opens and closes all the valves. If one or two valves aren't moving or aren't moving enough, look and see if the pushrods are straight. But more than likely at that point you have a camshaft problem. this combined with a compression test will give you a pretty good idea whether you were Motors should run okay or not. If you have really low compression in one or two cylinders and the valves are all moving correctly, you have a valve or at piston-ring problem.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-12-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

My!
That's a beautiful car you have there. You shouldn't hold back spending dollars on a good investment, and I'd say ya got one there.
But you're being wise in asking here before doing so. Follow our advise and you will end up saving some of those bucks for going to the car shows.

Steve
Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

And if you do need and get a new motor, at least you will know it was necessary. Not be walking around with that butthurt because you might have just got screwed.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
as Lars and I both said earlier, take off the valve covers and run the engine with the valve covers off for a minute. Yes it's messy. Watch all 16 rockers, if they're all moving the same amount up and down your camshaft is okay.
Actually, you don't even need to run the engine to do this: Just pull the ignition hot wire to the distributor to prevent the engine from starting and have someone crank the engine over on the starter for a few moments - you can easily spot rockers that are not moving the same as the others without any oil mess from a running engine. Since you're going to pull the plugs to do a compression test anyway, leave the plugs out for this test, and the engine will spin over very easily without overheating the starter. You can spot a flat cam lobe almost immediately.

Lars
The following users liked this post:
rickimvette (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Actually, you don't even need to run the engine to do this: Just pull the ignition hot wire to the distributor to prevent the engine from starting and have someone crank the engine over on the starter for a few moments - you can easily spot rockers that are not moving the same as the others without any oil mess from a running engine. Since you're going to pull the plugs to do a compression test anyway, leave the plugs out for this test, and the engine will spin over very easily without overheating the starter. You can spot a flat cam lobe almost immediately.

Lars
The last thing you need is you and your car covered with oil from running with no valve covers. Take Lars' advise and pull the ign wire.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 02-02-2019, 02:30 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Don't you hate when a thread just stops like this?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

The problem moved to here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ease-help.html

and here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-install.html

It's like a serialized novel!
Jstan2014 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Steve Ference
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean engine, as in Internal Combustion Engine, as opposed to motor, as in Electrical Motor????

I am bored with this **** of calling things by their wrong name.

Lets call a distributor, a dissy, DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ignatz (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:48 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

'STRI byudur

sbc timin' GEAR
Old 02-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

The joy of 81 ownership. One year only designed by Rube Goldberg.

I wish he was close. 81 has it's own issues and solutions. Cam designs are limited to what the computer will read, etc.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM
wajulia
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I do not in any way mean to contradict Lars, all of his advise is sound and based on much more experience than mine, but if it were me I would be looking at the Check Engine light first. It might be caused by the miss or it might be causing the miss, but I would try to figure it out first. In the 81 you can read the codes stored in the ECU by jumping two pins on the connector under the ash tray. The code will blink in the Check Engine light. There are only about 15 different codes. There is lots of stuff on the net on how to do it, but just ask me if you want some help and I can send you the appropriate pages from the shop manual.

After we see the code we can go from there. It might be something as simple as a bad sensor.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 PM
wajulia
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking at the engine pictures I see that the air pump is missing and the air injector pipes going into the exhaust headers are plugged off -- are you sure that they are indeed plugged off? A leak in those would definitely mess up the O2 sensor readings for the ECU. Just a thought

Also -- that looks like a computer controlled distributor -- so the timing on an 81 is unique -- you pull the plug that goes into the distributor and set the timing 8 degrees. Your mechanic may not have know that -- quite unique to the early GM ECU. As Lars said earlier it would probably not cause a miss (but there is a computer in all this that can get confused) but I like to get all the little things right before I start looking for the bigger things.

Last edited by wajulia; 02-04-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: I think my motor is done for. please help!!