I think my motor is done for. please help!! - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

I think my motor is done for. please help!!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:18 AM
fishslayer143
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stingydonut View Post
hahaha about an hour north of NYC, list of things included in that 1500 dollars, tune up, air filter, new belts, new fluids, new wires, cap and plugs, new headlight switch (apparently thats a real bitch to replace), rag joint replacement (i included my own rag joint), oil sending switch replaced, few missing bulbs replaced.... still 1500 is a stretch for that... and actually it was more like 1650.
wow.. its shops like that that created the concept of rip off mechanics.. and the headlight switch replace is not difficult in the least ... You need to find an older mechanic, 55+..familiar with Small blocks chevy motors and not reliant on OBD to tell him what to do .. I would pull the valve covers and compare rocker movement for a burned cam lobe or a bad lifter . good luck..
Old 11-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Back in 80-82 aa a tech we used to hope we could clear a check engine light with a part.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:57 AM
OldCarBum
CF Senior Member

Do the diagnostics to figure out exactly what the issue is before you start installing new parts.
Installing a new cam and lifters is a lot of work.
It's not difficult, just time consuming.
The intake manifold, everything on the front of the motor and radiator needs to be removed.
If that wasn't the issue you've spent time and money for nothing.
You would be like that crappy mechanic and ripping yourself off and still not fixing your problem.
Take your time figure it out and find the issue, then if you have to replace something, research the best fix and if your State allows upgrades and performance mods, do what you can to pull some extra horsepower out from that motor.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Kerz
CF Member

Keep us updated on your progress.
Vic
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 AM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

as Lars and I both said earlier, take off the valve covers and run the engine with the valve covers off for a minute. Yes it's messy. Watch all 16 rockers, if they're all moving the same amount up and down your camshaft is okay. You may need to do some valve adjusting stuff like that but the cam opens and closes all the valves. If one or two valves aren't moving or aren't moving enough, look and see if the pushrods are straight. But more than likely at that point you have a camshaft problem. this combined with a compression test will give you a pretty good idea whether you were Motors should run okay or not. If you have really low compression in one or two cylinders and the valves are all moving correctly, you have a valve or at piston-ring problem.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-12-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Cavu2u
CF Senior Member

My!
That's a beautiful car you have there. You shouldn't hold back spending dollars on a good investment, and I'd say ya got one there.
But you're being wise in asking here before doing so. Follow our advise and you will end up saving some of those bucks for going to the car shows.

Steve
Old 11-12-2018, 11:50 AM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

And if you do need and get a new motor, at least you will know it was necessary. Not be walking around with that butthurt because you might have just got screwed.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM
lars
CF Senior Member

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado

Originally Posted by derekderek View Post
as Lars and I both said earlier, take off the valve covers and run the engine with the valve covers off for a minute. Yes it's messy. Watch all 16 rockers, if they're all moving the same amount up and down your camshaft is okay.
Actually, you don't even need to run the engine to do this: Just pull the ignition hot wire to the distributor to prevent the engine from starting and have someone crank the engine over on the starter for a few moments - you can easily spot rockers that are not moving the same as the others without any oil mess from a running engine. Since you're going to pull the plugs to do a compression test anyway, leave the plugs out for this test, and the engine will spin over very easily without overheating the starter. You can spot a flat cam lobe almost immediately.

Lars
The Following User Says Thank You to lars For This Useful Post:
rickimvette (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 PM
stumpshot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by lars View Post
Actually, you don't even need to run the engine to do this: Just pull the ignition hot wire to the distributor to prevent the engine from starting and have someone crank the engine over on the starter for a few moments - you can easily spot rockers that are not moving the same as the others without any oil mess from a running engine. Since you're going to pull the plugs to do a compression test anyway, leave the plugs out for this test, and the engine will spin over very easily without overheating the starter. You can spot a flat cam lobe almost immediately.

Lars
The last thing you need is you and your car covered with oil from running with no valve covers. Take Lars' advise and pull the ign wire.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: