C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Upgrade on my 1968 C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Parodi Cigar
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternator Upgrade on my 1968 C3

Hi All,

I have a 1968 C3. After installing an air conditioner and new radio, I need a higher amperage alternator to keep up with the demand. My car has a non-original engine (283 small block) with an AC Delco Alternator (PN 19135668) which is a 10DN 55 amp alternator. I'd like to jump up to a 100 amp alternator. Can anyone answer a few questions for me?
  1. Should I convert to a 1 wire system and by-pass the voltage regulator?
  2. If yes, I know about the Big-3 wire replacement idea where you upgrade the single power wire to the alternator, the battery ground and the engine ground as well. Do I need to do all three?
  3. For the alternator wire, do I need to run the single wire all the way back to the battery or is there an acceptable spot under the hood (like the starter) where I could attach the wire?
  4. For a new 100 amp alternator, what wire gauge should I use for each of the above wires?

If I should not convert to the one wire system:
  1. Can someone suggest a good 100 amp replacement that would simply plug-n-play?
  2. What wires would I upgrade if I did it this way?
  3. Also, is there a way to match up a new voltage regulator with the larger alternator or can I simply use the old one?
As you can tell, I'm new at this... Lol. I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer!

Alex
Old 11-17-2018, 07:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

A factory rated 108 amp alt 17SI has internal regulator, and is the easiest one to install, the diameter is slightly larger though so fan belt need changing.....I trying to remember if your alt has a built in reg...if so, it's a plug in change, and I would take your heavy additional loads right off the output stud, and leave the stock wiring harness alone....

unless you are an old ET, and used to playing with elecTRICKal stuff.....

The following users liked this post:
Parodi Cigar (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:07 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

1. Do NOT convert to a 1-wire system, but DO convert to an internally regulated alternator. I recommend a CS-144, that's what I did on my 68.
You're overcomplicating the rest of it. You can either get a conversion kit to bypass the external regulator or just rewire it. I just rewired mine -- it's quite simple and there's quite a bit of guidance on the net.
You should upgrade the lead (bigger wire, smaller number gauge) from the horn relay to the starter post. Included there should be either fusible link, or one of those big fuses.

If I remember and find a link for rewiring the external regulator I will come back and post it.

Originally Posted by Parodi Cigar
Hi All,

I have a 1968 C3. After installing an air conditioner and new radio, I need a higher amperage alternator to keep up with the demand. My car has a non-original engine (283 small block) with an AC Delco Alternator (PN 19135668) which is a 10DN 55 amp alternator. I'd like to jump up to a 100 amp alternator. Can anyone answer a few questions for me?
  1. Should I convert to a 1 wire system and by-pass the voltage regulator?
  2. If yes, I know about the Big-3 wire replacement idea where you upgrade the single power wire to the alternator, the battery ground and the engine ground as well. Do I need to do all three?
  3. For the alternator wire, do I need to run the single wire all the way back to the battery or is there an acceptable spot under the hood (like the starter) where I could attach the wire?
  4. For a new 100 amp alternator, what wire gauge should I use for each of the above wires?

If I should not convert to the one wire system:
  1. Can someone suggest a good 100 amp replacement that would simply plug-n-play?
  2. What wires would I upgrade if I did it this way?
  3. Also, is there a way to match up a new voltage regulator with the larger alternator or can I simply use the old one?
As you can tell, I'm new at this... Lol. I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer!

Alex
Old 11-17-2018, 08:24 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Here is some info for you. I'm reading between the lines, but I don't suppose that you want to do soldering and rewiring? So take a look at this link where you can just buy parts.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1579084140
Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

They make heavier stators to up the Amps to near 100 for 10si and 10dn alternators.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-17-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:54 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

dub answered this in this post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-wiring.html
Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Parodi Cigar
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect. Thanks for guiding me to that thread!

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Upgrade on my 1968 C3

Quick Reply: Alternator Upgrade on my 1968 C3