C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN I GET TO 700hp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
Oh $hit... it is TBTR ...,,,
Yep....this guy is a mix of TBTR and about 90% of the kids on ls1tech in the FI section.... That's were EVERYONE makes 1k rwhp on stock motors, and they last forever........Until they actually try it. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by ajrothm:
69ttop502 (11-19-2018), Metalhead140 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
If you don't mind I'll make some observations
-The car is a corvette, therefore it already stands out. In that case, what purpose is there to hiding the forced induction units? Typically those are mounted for easy service or visible inspection. Also at minimum like to see the air filters unless there is a 3d printed box or other custom unit and in that case, again show it off because its a vette and already got the attention its going to get due to exterior. It will never be that kind of sleeper. This act although confusing obviously took some effort and I would say the plumbing is the crowning achievement of such a vehicle if its really a twin turbo application and the plumbing is reliable and easy to service.
-Lack of pcv suggests owner doesn't care about the engine or doesn't need to high mileage them, or has been through too many replacements to realize the devastating long term health effects of not having pcv because his engines without pcv have never went that kind of mileage. To put another way, I would never run an engine without pcv because I have to depend on it, so the lack of pcv suggests a non-dependable type car, excess pressure on engine oil seals, it will leak sooner, etc...

I appreciate the efforts of cleaning up the engine bay yet its done so well the pictures doesn't show off any of the most important parts we all want to see. Its almost like they are hiding...
Not everyone wants a turbo sitting up in the grill and dump pipes sticking up through the hood.... I know that's a hit with the millennials but....older guys go fast with class. Jim's Vette is a sleeper, and faster then most of the turbo junk you are seeing everywhere these days. Lemme know when your turbo 5.3 traps 160 mph on pump gas and also runs 200 in the mile for more then one pass. While I do appreciate the budget factor of turbo LS stuff, and yes I know all about Matt's stuff...but once you start going fast, even LS/turbo builds are no longer "budget"... and some cars are just too "cool" for that kind of swap, midyear vettes and early C3s being some of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajrothm:
69ttop502 (11-19-2018), 76strokervette (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:47 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
That is one impressive looking engine combination and car combination, looks clean!
Thanks but that is 427 HotRods engine. One very impressive car for sure!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:48 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Not everyone wants a turbo sitting up in the grill and dump pipes sticking up through the hood.... I know that's a hit with the millennials but....older guys go fast with class. Jim's Vette is a sleeper, and faster then most of the turbo junk you are seeing everywhere these days. Lemme know when your turbo 5.3 traps 160 mph on pump gas and also runs 200 in the mile for more then one pass. While I do appreciate the budget factor of turbo LS stuff, and yes I know all about Matt's stuff...but once you start going fast, even LS/turbo builds are no longer "budget"... and some cars are just too "cool" for that kind of swap, midyear vettes and early C3s being some of them.

Amen!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:22 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
If you don't mind I'll make some observations
-The car is a corvette, therefore it already stands out. In that case, what purpose is there to hiding the forced induction units? Typically those are mounted for easy service or visible inspection. Also at minimum like to see the air filters unless there is a 3d printed box or other custom unit and in that case, again show it off because its a vette and already got the attention its going to get due to exterior. It will never be that kind of sleeper. This act although confusing obviously took some effort and I would say the plumbing is the crowning achievement of such a vehicle if its really a twin turbo application and the plumbing is reliable and easy to service.
-Lack of pcv suggests owner doesn't care about the engine or doesn't need to high mileage them, or has been through too many replacements to realize the devastating long term health effects of not having pcv because his engines without pcv have never went that kind of mileage. To put another way, I would never run an engine without pcv because I have to depend on it, so the lack of pcv suggests a non-dependable type car, excess pressure on engine oil seals, it will leak sooner, etc...

I appreciate the efforts of cleaning up the engine bay yet its done so well the pictures doesn't show off any of the most important parts we all want to see. Its almost like they are hiding...
Wow...where do I begin?? The point of this car is to do what people wouldn't expect it to do. I spent a lot of time making sure it would all fit under the hood. In fact...If I had to cut the car up I wouldn't have done it.

I can't imagine working on some of those turbo setups with forward sweeping headers in a real car. You couldn't find a spark plug if you had to. I also insist I can pull a valve cover with no drama. Eventually I'll route intake pipes between the heads and firewall...but this was the quick easy way.

The turbos are bolted to the frame on brackets. They have K/N type filters on 90* elbows that tuck up under the fenders.

The breathers work just fine. PCV's are fine and work great...but I prefer not to introduce oil vapors into my intake tract. That engine is bone dry underneath and everywhere. It's been in this car for 18 years now. I will admit it has been apart a few times for upgrades and HP improvements. It's been the source of numerous magazine projects and has served as a mule car. The turbos were a series of articles working with Borg Warner. I've only hurt it once...and that was a toasted piston/head when a fuel pump died under full power and things happened too quick before I could get my foot out of it. New piston, fix head and right back in business. Went ahead and installed new rings and bearings in it since it had been together a few years of getting hammered on. Didn't really need to...bearings looked brand new when I opened it up.

As far as reliability...that engine has driven to NC, TN and CO numerous times and many other trips from its TX base. It was purposely built with 3.07 rear gears to make road trips easy.

So are LS's cool? You bet they are. And I'm amazed at the power they can make...but I really shouldn't be. Even the worst of them have fantastic heads...and if you throw 25-30-40+ psi of boost on a good motor it's going to make some power. BUT....I'm not too enthused about the prospect of a boosted junkyard LS coming apart and me trying to drive it with all that oil and water under the tires. I prefer to build it as good as I can. I'll watch other folks play that game. Must be age creeping in on me....

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 11-19-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The cleanest, most deceptively stock looking, non stock engine compartment you could find.
Nothing unnecessary, carefully packaged, elegantly executed and all businesses.
Complaints that you didn't chooch it up.
Perhaps a "give you money page" should be set up so you could get those giant wings you desperately need.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69ttop502

Lol, oh boy. Never mind that the car is knocking on the door of running 8’s and has seen 200 mph. But, what I am concerned about on Jim’s car is the appalling lack of windshield wipers!
LOL....you ought to see what those things do at 200 MPH!! There's some serious air at the base of that windshield and they get to flopping around pretty good. Safer to pull them off.

JIM
Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
The cleanest, most deceptively stock looking, non stock engine compartment you could find.
Nothing unnecessary, carefully packaged, elegantly executed and all businesses.
Complaints that you didn't chooch it up.
Perhaps a "give you money page" should be set up so you could get those giant wings you desperately need.
Thanks guys. I like "naked" engine compartments. I'll hide anything I can. You'll notice there's no distributor (crank trigger)….and no coils. Where could they be?? Also Nippondenso alternator with internal regulator.

This was what it looked like with a carb. It was making over 800 HP with points and a Bosch coil!

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 11-19-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Making it look clean and simple is much harder than it might appear to be.
Making it look naked when there is 10lbs of engine in a 5lb engine compartment, Impossible.
Yet there it is.
The following users liked this post:
427Hotrod (11-22-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Thanks guys. I like "naked" engine compartments. I'll hide anything I can. You'll notice there's no distributor (crank trigger)….and no coils. Where could they be?? Also Nippondenso alternator with internal regulator.

This was what it looked like with a carb. It was making over 800 HP with points and a Bosch coil!

JIM

ART beautiful work!!!!

amazing job brother

ART beautiful work!!!!

​​​​​​​amazing job brother
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
427Hotrod (11-22-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:25 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

To the OP, my 460 N/A (Straub cammed Hyd. Roller) with the small AFR's hit 597hp at 6000 and was still going up (dyno operator had it set for 6000 limit), that was with a Dart single plane and 850 Holley. My goal was a least 550HP with the original Tri-power (Air Cleaner installed) we hit 559. If you Dyno and have time run it with a single plane ( I bought the Dart used) to see what it's capable of (you may want the HP you gain, I'm a Tri-power lover so I left the HP on the Table). I'll be watching for updates. Oh and make sure you un-shroud the Intake Valve to Block area as much as possible, I think I left some HP on the Table there as well.

Last edited by suprspooky; 11-20-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

OP - as others have mentioned, dump that RPM Air Gap. It's a great intake for it's designed usage which, unfortunately, isn't you! Get a Holly Strip Dominator on there if you're gonna run a carb. That alone will jump you 25 hp.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Lurkin
OP - as others have mentioned, dump that RPM Air Gap. It's a great intake for it's designed usage which, unfortunately, isn't you! Get a Holly Strip Dominator on there if you're gonna run a carb. That alone will jump you 25 hp.

i have kinda planned on that, I’m putting my Airgap in my truck that I’m putting a 402 in. I called afr and they said they are coming out with a BBC intake manifold beginning of next year so I’m kinda waiting for that.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Muzzyzx7rr

i have kinda planned on that, I’m putting my Airgap in my truck that I’m putting a 402 in. I called afr and they said they are coming out with a BBC intake manifold beginning of next year so I’m kinda waiting for that.
Interesting. Do you know the height of their new manifold? That could be a good adder. One other reason for the old strip dominator is it will fit under an L88 style hood, if that's what you're doing, using the L88 aircleaner setup. Hopefully the AFR will as well since it will probably be a step up from the Holley intake.

Once you get your engine finished, the next problem will be the same one I have. The rear end in cars were never meant for 700 hp. If you ever put slicks on your car, the differential won't last.

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 11-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

JIM

Gotta admit Jim; your old setup looks great. I know your dual turbo setup makes more hp but this is what an old Corvette engine bay should, in my never so humble option, look like - with a carb.

It's hard to argue with the results of your TT555 tho!

Have a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thank you sir. There is a nice simplicity in opening the hood and seeing a big 'ole big block there with a carb on it!

JIM

Quick Reply: CAN I GET TO 700hp???