C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal pin clip ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Clutch pedal pin clip ?

Is this the correct clip to secure the the clutch rod to the pedal pin under the dash. and also does the clip have a washer behind it ? thanks jp

Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Yes, it is, and it's used with a washer. The clutch pedal pivot shaft is retained into the dash bracket with a different type of clip - the clip you show was used only to attach the clutch pedal push rod to the pin on the clutch pedal. In addition to the washer between the rod and the clip, there is also a spacer between the rod and the pedal.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 11-25-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 AM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by lars
Yes, it is, and it's used with a washer. The clutch pedal pivot shaft is retained into the dash bracket with a different type of clip - the clip you show was used only to attach the clutch pedal push rod to the pin on the clutch pedal. In addition to the washer between the rod and the clip, there is also a spacer between the rod and the pedal.

Lars
no spacer on mine just a pin to hold rod to on pedal. and pin fits tight in the hole. I just wanted to no if that's the correct clip for it. thanks lars I appreciate your reply. jp
Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

You need to have the spacer installed betwen the rod and the pedal. Also, you talk about "the pin" as if it's a separate part - the pin is part of the clutch pedal. If someone has altered or modified your linkage you might want to correct it. It should look like this:

But you've never stated what year car you're working on, or even if it's a Corvette...

Last edited by lars; 11-26-2018 at 12:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lars:
jim-81 (11-26-2018), jpattt24 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 01:04 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Also make sure you install the pin/clip the right way so that the pin is towards the outside, and the 'springy' part pushes in.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by lars
You need to have the spacer installed betwen the rod and the pedal. Also, you talk about "the pin" as if it's a separate part - the pin is part of the clutch pedal. If someone has altered or modified your linkage you might want to correct it. It should look like this:

But you've never stated what year car you're working on, or even if it's a Corvette...
thanks that's what I needed to see. I have a 71 corvette. my old rod and pin did not have spacers there just a washer and a week cotter pin. I am installing a speed direct linkage kit with the heim joints. when I put the heim joint on the clutch pedal pin it wont go on far enough to put the clip on with a thin washer behind it. I can only get the clip on it. I wish the pin was a little longer so I could get a washer behind it. I may try to grind the spacer built in the heim joint just enough to get a washer and a clip on it. but clutch feels really nice now when I push the pedal. lars thank you for helping me. jp
Old 11-26-2018, 03:06 PM
jim-81
Drifting

I have the Speed Direct heim linkage as well and I don't remember if I have a washer behind the pin although I would hope so. I will try to take a picture tonight. The heim joint is wider though so the spacer won't fit.
The following users liked this post:
jpattt24 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:24 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim-81
I have the Speed Direct heim linkage as well and I don't remember if I have a washer behind the pin although I would hope so. I will try to take a picture tonight. The heim joint is wider though so the spacer won't fit.
that would be great if you could look at your pin and see. thanks jp
Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

AS mentioned....in the illustration and spring part number 323. The drawing is INCORRECT to actually how the clip goes on. The clip need to be turned 180 degrees. So the long straight pin portion of the clip is still pointing down like in the drawing...but the tension is now on the spring when it is beign installed so it will work as designed.

DUB
jpattt24 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 12:23 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Here is the picture of mine although I don't have a washer behind the clip. Not sure why, maybe there's not enough room, or maybe something to do with laying on my back and not enough room for hands in there. Something I need to fix...

Old 11-27-2018, 12:40 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Here is the picture of mine although I don't have a washer behind the clip. Not sure why, maybe there's not enough room, or maybe something to do with laying on my back and not enough room for hands in there. Something I need to fix...

Mine is the same way. cant get washer on but it works fine I will keep a eye on it. the speed direct clutch rod kit makes the pedal real smooth now. no metal to metal contact t was a good investment. thank for your help. jp
Old 11-27-2018, 01:38 PM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

The on the back in tight quarters is no fun. I was able to install a washer on mine when installing the Speed Direct kit last week, I just used a generic washer as the old one was rusty.
Eddy
Old 11-27-2018, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

I HONESTLY doubt you need a washer due to the different design of rod end.

IF it were like the solid rod end like the factory a washer would be WISE so the movement of the rod would not wear on the 'G' clip.

But seeing how you have the spherical ball on your new rod set-up...it will not move and the rod can rotate on that ball...so the likely hood that 'G' clip will see any wear is highly unlikely.

And actually I have more of a concern about the effectiveness of the 'G' clip due not it now does not have a flat surface for the tension of the 'G' clip to press against...thus...possibly causing it not to be quite right. I knwo i would not have nay fear in using cotter pin in this area if the 'G' clip was sloppy loose.

I knwo if I JUST HAD TO HAVE a flat washer in there and the "G' clip did not want to go in. I would flat file the width of the spherical ball a little bit so I can slide a thin washer in there. It would not be the fist time I would have to do something like that.

DUB
jpattt24 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 PM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by DUB
And actually I have more of a concern about the effectiveness of the 'G' clip due not it now does not have a flat surface for the tension of the 'G' clip to press against...thus...possibly causing it not to be quite right. I knwo i would not have nay fear in using cotter pin in this area if the 'G' clip was sloppy loose.

I knwo if I JUST HAD TO HAVE a flat washer in there and the "G' clip did not want to go in. I would flat file the width of the spherical ball a little bit so I can slide a thin washer in there. It would not be the fist time I would have to do something like that.

DUB
I had plenty of room for the washer that I used and likewise saw no need to use the”G” clip, I felt like a cotter pin would work fine and was definitely easier to install.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glad that you have enough room for the washer with the spherical end you have...and If a cotter pin is properly bent.....it will not come out.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-28-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:15 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Agree - cotter pin and washer would probably be better.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal pin clip ?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal pin clip ?