C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center gauge bezel removal questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Default Center gauge bezel removal questions...

Want to replace the tired old non OEM cassette radio in my 1968 convertible. Car does not have AC. Want to remove and cut the bezel for a modern media/radio unit.

1. I have removed the wiper control panel and taken out the screws on the sides of the center gauge bezel. Looks like the whole panel comes out by lifting up but I am not sure if there is something else holding it in and do not want to force it. Do other panels or brackets have to be removed? Is there enough service loop to pull out?

2. Lots of what looks like oil around the top of the radio and on the sides of the center console. Is the oil gauge actually hooked up to a fluid connection?

Did a search but did not find a radio replacement procedure....anyone know of one? Thanks in advance for any information.

Redvette2
Old 12-06-2018, 05:59 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I suggest you remove the passenger side dash first.... makes work a lot easier.

There are 2 nuts on the bottom side that you have to remove. Most of the time I've owned my car I have not installed them. Just this past summer I got some "long" nuts(not sure what they're called---like for connecting 2 studs) to that I can easily install and remove. Anyway-- you have to loosen those ...really remove the nuts so you can wiggle.
My 68 has an oil tube feeding the gauge. Not sure when they went to electric.

Originally Posted by Redvette2
Want to replace the tired old non OEM cassette radio in my 1968 convertible. Car does not have AC. Want to remove and cut the bezel for a modern media/radio unit.

1. I have removed the wiper control panel and taken out the screws on the sides of the center gauge bezel. Looks like the whole panel comes out by lifting up but I am not sure if there is something else holding it in and do not want to force it. Do other panels or brackets have to be removed? Is there enough service loop to pull out?

2. Lots of what looks like oil around the top of the radio and on the sides of the center console. Is the oil gauge actually hooked up to a fluid connection?

Did a search but did not find a radio replacement procedure....anyone know of one? Thanks in advance for any information.

Redvette2

Last edited by carriljc; 12-06-2018 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kissarmy007 (09-24-2020)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:04 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Here you go.... I found a picture of mine. It's the 2 tittle stubs that are at the bottom.
kissarmy007 (09-24-2020)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

I guess these long nuts are called "Rod Coupling Nut Threaded Rod Connectors".

I don't remember the size --- just took the nut that fits the stud to the hardware store and got 2 of them....easier to loosen and tighten than a regular flat nut.

The following 2 users liked this post by carriljc:
Peterbuilt (12-06-2018), resdoggie (12-08-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Looks like my car's previous owners have left these off. So I can just carefully pull out the whole assembly and not break anything?

Thanks for the quick feedback,

Redvette2
Old 12-06-2018, 07:22 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

I suggest that you take the k n o b s off the radio and the nut behind the k n o b s . Did you remove the passenger side dash pad yet? Take a picture so we can see where you're at.

There is a lot of stuff that will easily break so you want to go slow here.

The good news is that D1N radios make it all easier....

Looks like my car's previous owners have left these off. So I can just carefully pull out the whole assembly and not break anything?

Thanks for the quick feedback,

Redvette2

Last edited by carriljc; 01-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Redvette2 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

And you'll probably want to read some of this also:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cut-bezel.html
Redvette2 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:47 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

I've changed my radio a couple times and have put 2 different radio bezels in as well.

Sounds like you, or someone else, pulled the bezel out too far and pulled the oil pressure line off the fitting. It's shorter than the wires so it's the first thing to go if you pull. It slides over the fitting and is crimped on if I recall.

Because the fitting slides inside the line you can probably "glue" the line back onto the fitting and have no issues. Ask me how I know. (I think I broke mine changing the radio without removing the bezel)

I found it much easier to work on that area by also removing the ebrake console, shifter plate, etc so the forward shift console loose.

Removing the passenger side dash is a good idea if you haven't done this before. I've had my bezel get caught on loose vinyl and not want to come out.

Last edited by BarryB72; 12-06-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Redvette2 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

.... Want to remove and cut the bezel for a modern media/radio unit. Redvette2
Unless they have disappeared from the marketplace, you can buy bezels that are already cut for modern radios. A lot easier and safer than cutting your original as they are prone to break. The couplings are still a bit of a struggle but worth it.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Originally Posted by carriljc
I suggest that you take the ***** off the radio and the nut behind the *****. Did you remove the passenger side dash pad yet? Take a picture so we can see where you're at.

There is a lot of stuff that will easily break so you want to go slow here.

The good news is that D1N radios make it all easier....
Bingo...as soon as I removed the large passenger dash pad the assembly fell out....thanks for the suggestion.

Redvette2
Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Originally Posted by BarryB72
I've changed my radio a couple times and have put 2 different radio bezels in as well.

Sounds like you, or someone else, pulled the bezel out too far and pulled the oil pressure line off the fitting. It's shorter than the wires so it's the first thing to go if you pull. It slides over the fitting and is crimped on if I recall.

Because the fitting slides inside the line you can probably "glue" the line back onto the fitting and have no issues. Ask me how I know. (I think I broke mine changing the radio without removing the bezel)

I found it much easier to work on that area by also removing the ebrake console, shifter plate, etc so the forward shift console loose.

Removing the passenger side dash is a good idea if you haven't done this before. I've had my bezel get caught on loose vinyl and not want to come out.
The oil is not fresh and the oil pressure gauge seems to work well so hopefully nothing is still leaking....I will check it out tomorrow. As stated in another post here, as soon as I removed the large passenger dash panel the gauge assembly fell out.

Thanks for the feedback.
Redvette2
Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

And you'll probably want to read some of this also:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cut-bezel.html
That bezel mentioned in the post is exactly what I am looking for....I will check it out and see if they are still available as the post was quite old.

Edit: Went to the site (www.mobile-emotions.com) and found it had the bezels still....ordered for under $20.00 including shipping. I will attach pictures when install is all done. Cancelled...decided to go with full bezel.
Thanks for the link.

Redvette2

Last edited by Redvette2; 12-07-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Update on Bezel 2
Old 12-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Originally Posted by ignatz
Unless they have disappeared from the marketplace, you can buy bezels that are already cut for modern radios. A lot easier and safer than cutting your original as they are prone to break. The couplings are still a bit of a struggle but worth it.
Yes...it is the width and curved surface that the bezel needs to look half way decent. I tried ebay but did not see it. One of the posts today links to a source from 2013 which I will try to get tomorrow and let people know if it is still available. I may have to cut the single din opening but I can handle that. Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: If you mean the replacement full bezels...yes they are still available however very expensive. I am willing to go with the smaller piece and cutting my stock bezel. My car is not very original already.

Redvette2

Last edited by Redvette2; 12-06-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

This is also available from Corvette Central (other vendors may carry it as well) and no cutting is required...

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...f%3fcount%3d18

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

here is one... I would shop around some more and maybe even buy a cracked one to modfiy....

https://www.corvettecentral.com/acce...-for-an-103394

my bezel was broken at the corners so I was willing to modify for the D1N stereo. Being broken also makes it easier to install and remove.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Before you cut yours, if its an original 68, sell it to some one here thats restoring a 68. They are a 1 year only piece and hard to come by. I picked up a cheap 69 model on ebay that was cracked,, already DIN cut and repaired it for cheap. You would be helping a member out and saving an expensive piece. Yo could sell it for the $200 yo need for a new aftermarket one pretty easily I believe.

If it was installed correctly there should have been a vent sticking out below the wiper switch that was screwed in going up into the bezel. When you install everything the vent plastic will stick through and you should get pretty good airflow through it. Also look into a big block oil line or an aftermarket oil line that is copper. its a hard line and less likely to crack and leak. I lost a new stereo and bought new carpeting because of the same leak. If you spend the money on the BB lline it should come with the correct gauge connection

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 12-07-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Redvette2 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

I repaired/replaced my oil pressure line with a new plastic line probably 20 years ago. About 10 bucks. I got it locally so you can probably find one locally, but here is one from one of our vendors:
https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...968-427-303105

Here is a fancy braided unit.... for 20 bucks I might do this if I wasn't in a hurry.......I'd verify/check the fitting sizes first though.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Braid...-Kit,4147.html

additional fitting info... read all the way through to ascertain fitting sizes. You want to make sure and get the correct fittings to avoid future hassles.... and that braided kit may need additional, or other adapters for 5/6-24 size....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...8-to-73-a.html

Last edited by carriljc; 12-07-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Redvette2 (12-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Center gauge bezel removal questions...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Before you cut yours, if its an original 68, sell it to some one here thats restoring a 68. They are a 1 year only piece and hard to come by. I picked up a cheap 69 model on ebay that was cracked,, already DIN cut and repaired it for cheap. You would be helping a member out and saving an expensive piece. Yo could sell it for the $200 yo need for a new aftermarket one pretty easily I believe.

If it was installed correctly there should have been a vent sticking out below the wiper switch that was screwed in going up into the bezel. When you install everything the vent plastic will stick through and you should get pretty good airflow through it. Also look into a big block oil line or an aftermarket oil line that is copper. its a hard line and less likely to crack and leak. I lost a new stereo and bought new carpeting because of the same leak. If you spend the money on the BB lline it should come with the correct gauge connection
Not sure if this piece is original but I do have the vent you mentioned. Old radio has tape on the whole top as if owner was trying to protect it from the oil. Carpet is new also. Looks like I will be replacing the oil line.

Edit: If I could sell the old gauge bezel then I could get a new DIN one now and sell the old one later. I will check the oil line and bezel out later today and maybe go this route.

Thanks for the info,
Redvette2

Last edited by Redvette2; 12-07-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: More thoughts...
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

I repaired/replaced my oil pressure line with a new plastic line probably 20 years ago. About 10 bucks. I got it locally so you can probably find one locally, but here is one from one of our vendors:
https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...968-427-303105

Here is a fancy braided unit.... for 20 bucks I might do this if I wasn't in a hurry.......I'd verify/check the fitting sizes first though.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Braid...-Kit,4147.html

additional fitting info... read all the way through to ascertain fitting sizes. You want to make sure and get the correct fittings to avoid future hassles.... and that braided kit may need additional, or other adapters for 5/6-24 size....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...8-to-73-a.html
As mentioned in the previous post I will need to replace the oil line. Thanks for the info and links.

Redvette2
Old 12-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Default Update....

Examined the gauge bezel and see that the top part is broken off and missing above the gauges so not something to sell. Also looks like a cast metal part so would not be so easy to cut the hole. Checked the oil gauge line fitting and it is weeping. Decided to go ahead and order a full size DIN bezel and new oil line kit to fix.

Thanks for everyone's inputs...sure makes finding the best solutions easier.

Redvette2

Quick Reply: Center gauge bezel removal questions...