C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great video about ajrothm's (Alan's) new 496

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Very nice. I am curious since the engine was still climbing at 6300 why you did not pull it higher, do you have a set rpm limit? It would be nice to see how far the power caries out to determine a shift point. Also the torque peak was the at the lowest recorded number, it would have been interesting to start the pull lower to see where the torque starts to build, does it match well with your torque convertor?
On other pulls, we did pull it higher. It varied from pull to pull, and whatever changes we were making. One pull it peaked at 6400, one it peaked at 6200 etc etc. Most of the pulls it peaked at 6200-6300, then was down by 4-5hp by 6400. We were changing so many things from pull to pull, and fighting with the air quality as the day went on....plus heat soaking the intake...it was all over the place. We made a pull, left for lunch, came back an hour later and made a pull and it was 6hp higher, with the exact same water temp. Just having the intake getting heat soaked is a killer.

Spending the day on the dyno is an interesting experience, I’ve done it before, but not this extensively. It’s definitely not as easy to get the numbers as people think, lots of variables to deal with.

Last edited by ajrothm; 12-11-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TimAT
Nice!! Makes me wonder what my 496 is up to. I have a little more cam, aluminum heads and a little more compression..Fun Stuff.
. Yeah, no telling Tim without testing it. There is so much stuff involved with making power in these things, a lot more then just the big components. There is a lot of “700hp” 540s out there for sale...when they “should” be 800hp 540s based on the components listed.

If anything, throw it on the chassis dyno and do some ricer math and see what it calculates out to. At least with a stick car you can get decent rwhp numbers.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:23 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

healthy combo, can't wait for the track runs and some video's

It's unbelievable what some with the knowledge on how to work the 049 heads to work with the selected engine parts can do, the flow numbers and actual HP produced leaves a good number of out the box heads lacking.

thanks for sharing,

Neal
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:42 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
healthy combo, can't wait for the track runs and some video's

It's unbelievable what some with the knowledge on how to work the 049 heads to work with the selected engine parts can do, the flow numbers and actual HP produced leaves a good number of out the box heads lacking.

thanks for sharing,

Neal

Whats up Neal!

Go check out MJs YouTube channel, he has 22 vids posted of exactly how he builds these things and gets the power out of them. It’s a good binge watch on a rainy day.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1W5b...HYwfa2w/videos
Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM
79 C3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Mark build my engine also. He does a great job of getting power out of them. When I dyno mine, I believe I was his first that wanted to test my FiTech EFI vs. his carburetor pulls on the dyno. After a few adjustments, we where able make just about the same power numbers on very little run time with the EFI.

You have a lot more HP and can't wait to see what a difference it make. Thanks for the video, it brings back good memories!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:58 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, Alan!! That is quite an impressive 496! You are very fortunate to have hooked up with Mark - the guy is brilliant. I can't wait to hear what you car does at the track. I am also going to be interested to see what you are going to do about a torque converter. Do you plan on running the same one? Congrats!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

THink its awesome you still have steel heads on it, no way to guess what its really making by looking at it.
Used to watch a lot of Joe Shermans discussions on how he would always sqeeze more than most from his motors, Mark sounds just as talented.

700 is a lot of power period and does not come easy. If I did a BB as much as I like to DIY Id be real tempted to hand it over to Mark. Hes not going to have you remortgaging your home either.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Very nice Alan! That broad torque curve is spectacular!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 632C2
Wow, Alan!! That is quite an impressive 496! You are very fortunate to have hooked up with Mark - the guy is brilliant. I can't wait to hear what you car does at the track. I am also going to be interested to see what you are going to do about a torque converter. Do you plan on running the same one? Congrats!
Thanks Steve. I'm going to run the same converter. Looking at the HP/TQ at 4400 rpms, its up about 4-5hp now so...it didn't seem to lose anything in the low-mid range with the slightly larger cam, so I'm sure my converter will be ok...well at least as good as it was before. Its always been way too tight to really leave good but...it drives so well on the street, I don't want to ruin that driveability….No doubt a custom 8" converter would net me 2-3 tenths. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
THink its awesome you still have steel heads on it, no way to guess what its really making by looking at it.
Used to watch a lot of Joe Shermans discussions on how he would always sqeeze more than most from his motors, Mark sounds just as talented.

700 is a lot of power period and does not come easy. If I did a BB as much as I like to DIY Id be real tempted to hand it over to Mark. Hes not going to have you remortgaging your home either.
Yeah Mark's attention to detail is insane. There is a LOT more to it then just throwing parts in a motor. I'd be willing to bet, if I built this engine myself with exactly the same parts and just normal/average machine work, that it would be down at least 50hp compared to Mark's.

Everyone likes to bench race and use ricer math to compare parts/combos to gauge power, I often times just sit here and think to myself "Do your thing, I'll wait for it"...

For comparison purposes, my buddy built a 498", 10.5-1, Dart 270 ovals, fully ported by Slick Rick, big Straub HYD roller (like 258*), Victor Jr intake, Zepeda 1000 carb.... It made 706hp/656tq... SO he had more compression, more head, more cam, more intake, more carb.... and only made 8hp more? And it was professionally machined and built by Owens Racing engines who has been around since the 70's. On paper, you would think he would make 40-50hp more then my combo but...not the case. His car did run well though, 10.02@132 with a 1.37 60' at 3500lbs.. I hope mine traps close to that.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 79 C3
I had Mark build my engine also. He does a great job of getting power out of them. When I dyno mine, I believe I was his first that wanted to test my FiTech EFI vs. his carburetor pulls on the dyno. After a few adjustments, we where able make just about the same power numbers on very little run time with the EFI.

You have a lot more HP and can't wait to see what a difference it make. Thanks for the video, it brings back good memories!
How did it go with the comparison with the FiTech vs the carb? I'm definitely kicking around the idea of fuel injection, but I'm afraid of losing power. I can't find anything with a 1000cfm TB, they are either 900 cfm or 1400+... For what a custom built carb costs, its 75% the cost of a Sniper system...

Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Aj, are your Pistons a custom dome profile of off the shelf?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by suprspooky
Aj, are your Pistons a custom dome profile of off the shelf?
They are off the shelf Mahle pistons. I THINK they are p/n 929907110. 4.31", -18cc, 9.8-1 w/124cc chambers. Block is zero decked. Pistons are out of the hole JUST a bit...
The following users liked this post:
suprspooky (12-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Great video about ajrothm's (Alan's) new 496