C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 side pipe Rocker moulding help

Old 12-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Tom_K
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 68 side pipe Rocker moulding help

My 68 427 had the factory (69?) side pipes with factory fiberglass covers. -
I am replacing that system with real headers and side exhaust. (Dougs header) ---good stuff!

It looks like I need to get rocker covers on the car prior to mounting the new exhaust or it will look like hell down there.
Is there a "best way to go" or do I need a special type for use with side pipes.
The websites that sell them are inconclusive and vague.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know I would not use the two piece design rocker panels due to they are fiberglass with the upper metal trim. I would get a metal rocket panel and then use it due to I would fear the fiberglass could get hot and begin to show signs of beign hot and falling apart where they are in contact with the header tube..

Maybe I am over thinking it but I have seen aftermarket side exhaust On Corvettes and IF they had the fiberglas rocker panels...they would show signs of beign burnt.....while the aluminum rocker panels for the later years do not show any signs of getting hot.

In the aluminum design of rocker panels I do know they come in different lengths....so measure yours and make sure you get ones that are the same length if you go that route, The same is you are going to cut on these rockers if I am not mistaken..

DUB
Old 12-10-2018, 05:25 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 127 Posts

70 to 77 aluminum rockers are what you would want. You could paint them black of so desired. You may be able to get a used set in poor condition, not all bent, but poor aluminum condition if you do paint them and cut them up some.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have the same thing going- I have the fiberglass/metal trim rockers- I used a 2-/12 sanding drum to open the forward end of the trim to clear the header primary tubes. I have the headers/pipes all installed, it looks like I'm going to have to pull the rear tires to slip them in from the back. Project for another day.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have a fab or metal shop near you, measure the length and width or make a cardboard pattern of the rocker and let them cut out a piece of stainless steel for you.
or just buy a piece and cut it yourself, the thin stainless piece will give you more clearance and it will look great.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 side pipe Rocker moulding help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 side pipe Rocker moulding help