C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Chrome bumpers too wide.....

Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Front Chrome bumpers too wide.....

From watt little I have read, it's a commom problem, seems a bit strange, so the question is WHY?? are there variations in the plastic/glass that makes the need for the bumpers made these daze to be wider on the end wraps??

so the issue is, just what would it take to get one that fits correctly??

and since the EPA has all but outlawed chrome shops, I understand the prices are outta site....

SO, I have an older bumper with bad chrome, the one on the car is nice enough, but too wide....
AS I RECALL from years ago, the old bumper fit better....but ASSuming I can get the bad one bent/welded I can then get it powder coated....same for rear....
butt I am willing to stick with chrome, ASSuming a decent affordable solution can be found....

Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,246 Likes on 3,898 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

There are chrome companies around still, but yes they are pricey. Someone here cut out the center bend, shortened and straightened it, then welded and chromed it. I came out nice
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Can you set the old bumper on top of the new one and see whether or not the width is the same?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

From first hand experience I had to go through about 4 new chrome front bumpers until got one to fit correctly. All of the three previous bumpers were drastically different due to how the supports that are welded into the bumper that hold it on were not correctly welded in place.

Some of the outer threaded mounts were spaced out from where they should so the ends of the front bumper would stick out very far...while the other side that had the mount fully seated and welded in place wrapped around the body and fit perfect.

DUB
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

mrvette... My rear bumpers were badly pitted and, while I have not cut corners on my car, I just couldn't justify the cost of new parts or the cost to re-chrome. I bought a pair of cores in a bit better shape and had them powdercoated. If your front is damaged, I would search for a used "original core" and have it powdercoated. I realize it is not show quality, but mine is a driver and I figure someday I will invest if I really want the chrome back.

These are finished in "chrome powdercoat":

The following 2 users liked this post by JoeMinnesota:
Dynra Rockets (12-19-2018), mrvette (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 05:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
mrvette... My rear bumpers were badly pitted and, while I have not cut corners on my car, I just couldn't justify the cost of new parts or the cost to re-chrome. I bought a pair of cores in a bit better shape and had them powdercoated. If your front is damaged, I would search for a used "original core" and have it powdercoated. I realize it is not show quality, but mine is a driver and I figure someday I will invest if I really want the chrome back.

These are finished in "chrome powdercoat":

I had that sneaky thought in back of my mind.....and now I KNOW it's the way to go....cool beans.....

so to pick a decent day this winter in north Florida, and take the front bumper off and check the fit of the old one hanging up on the wall, and then maybe a trip to my welder buddy, and go from there.....

Old 12-20-2018, 07:00 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Maybe they should sell noses in various widths to match the bumper we have...
Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Maybe they should sell noses in various widths to match the bumper we have...

DUB
Old 12-20-2018, 04:03 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Just be aware - with the powdercoat - it is not as durable as a chrome finish. The underside (in the case of rear bumpers) will discolor over time from exhaust gases, but it isn't really visible. You also should not use bug/tar remover or any other chemicals or it might break down. I wax mine and clean it with quick wax spray as needed. If you coat the front bumper and it gets buggy, you will want to clean it with soap & water and keep wax on it. Still a decent alternative to lots of $$ in chrome for a driver.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (12-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Front Chrome bumpers too wide.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Chrome bumpers too wide.....