C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 1976 Rear spring help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

White one- it appears both shafts were placed. I’m not sure I understand how the relationship of the shafts effect the ride height. I will look at them closer. Maybe one of them is messed up.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:47 AM
white one
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRiley
White one- it appears both shafts were placed. I’m not sure I understand how the relationship of the shafts effect the ride height. I will look at them closer. Maybe one of them is messed up.
When I removed the passenger side half shaft with the car in the air and no support under the tires, the trailing arm with the wheel assembly dropped down several inches. My thought was maybe? The u-joint needle bearings inside of the cups were destroyed thus creating play at the joint itself. If this is the case? Maybe there is enough slop to cause the trailing arm assembly to drop slightly as seen in one of your photos.

Also check to see if the hub bearings on the passenger side are ok? To get a good look at these bearings without taking everything apart, about the only mechanical you'll have to do is you will have to remove the passenger side half shaft to unload the suspension. Now, with the half shaft out, you can get a better look to see if there is any slop within the u-joint itself. Once the half shaft is removed you can spin the wheel to listen if there is any unusual noise. Also grab the tire at the bottom and top to wiggle up and down, in and out to see if there is any major play. The tolerance in the hub bearings when properly setup are very minimal.

You may even want to try this first? With the lift you're working off of, you can even load and unload the assembled passenger side suspension to see if anything obvious jumps out at you while watching the trailing arm and suspension as you load and unload it? Is anything moving that shows a lot of slop? Or moving that shouldn't be? At first I was thinking something may be bent? But your photos show the passenger side hangs lower than the driver side with both sides up in the air. You also stated that the passenger side sits lower when all four tires are on the ground with the suspension equally loaded. I may be wrong? But this indicates a common denominator that affects the passenger side suspension while being loaded up, and unloaded. I believe you have some slop on the passenger side with some suspension part? Worse comes to worse? Can you spin the spring 180 degrees to see if there is any difference to see if the problem moves to the driver side?

Just some ideas of how I would approach this if your car was at my shop. It may be a lot of turning wrenches and aggravation, but the parts list and expense is minimal. You may want to buy a set of four French locks for the back of the hub flange bolts unless yours are still in good shape.

I'm sure with the suggestions and help from others on this site, you will find this issue and solve it! Once you find it, hopefully you will let us know so we can all learn.
Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Having blast cabinets is handy.

Left side

Right side

well, I’m deep into it now. Hopefully these and the next batch of pictures will help me and others.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:38 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Have diff level

Clearly right side not hanging as low

Look at gap to shock for reference

Right side sitting on frame

Left side sitting on frame
Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 732 Posts

The bushings were shot - your diff and your butt will thank you.
I would:
Check the shocks while it's apart.

Are both trailing arms hanging down the same amount?

Remember that the 1/2 shafts cannot turn when they are way down due to the angle in the universals. If you want to test then bring them up to almost level.

See if you can put a level across the diff cross member at the diff mounting point to see if the cross member is bent. Easier to do it now then later.

Great work. The end result will make you happy.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-04-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

The diff is level, I have the diff supported to take the angle from the half shafts. No bind in them. The trailing arms are sitting on the frame pocket on both sides. The shocks are disconnected. No matter how high I lift the differential, the passenger side is still higher than the drivers side.

Yeh, the bushings were bad. I’m excited about all this getting replaced.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

I measured both half shafts looking for length differences- none.
The frame is level on the lift. And since the rear end is completely separated from the car except the trailing arms, a bent frame seems out of the question.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Check out this beauty. LOL
Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Are there adjustments in the trailing arm?

Can something in the alignment adjustment arms cause this?

i starting to think this was a gm factory delivered like this- not sure if that’s possible????

If so, I have a theory to “fix”. Install shins inside crossmember bushing to adjust tide height. This will allow same tension on each side of the spring. - essentially I’d be rotating the diff a few degrees clockwise.

Last edited by BobRiley; 01-04-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 PM
white one
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In photo number 4 from the top it looks like the arch of the spring is higher on the right side that the left side. Could the spring itself be tweaked or weaker on one side than the other? A bad spring maybe?

Last edited by white one; 01-04-2019 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlphaBob (01-07-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Originally Posted by white one
In photo number 4 from the top it looks like the arch of the spring is higher on the right side that the left side. Could the spring itself be tweaked or weaker on one side than the other? A bad spring maybe?
in photo 4, the spring was just being supported. The stock spring allowed the pass side to sit low. I bought new 9 leaf spring. It still stat
low. I reversed spring to make sure it wasn’t a weak leaf. It sat exactly the same.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

In the photo of the rear with the level the left lower mount looks off - it may be the photo angle.

I would take the spring out and after the rear is remounted check the mount for level and / or bends.

The spring should hang almost level.

I'm often too exacting so I would be cleaning and measuring each part as I went. IT's easier now then to take it apart later.

Unless something is binding the spring should set the ride height. I would check each part going through it's movement to see if anything binds.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

No matter how high I lift the differential, the passenger side is still higher than the drivers side.
And since the rear end is completely separated from the car except the trailing arms, a bent frame seems out of the question.
When you say this, do you mean that the attaching bracket on the "nose" of the differential is also disconnected from the frame?
Since this is becoming quite the puzzle, just out of curiosity, have you moved the jack that you have under the differential? The ring gear, which is one of the heavier components in the diff case, is offset, which may be contributing to the last bit of "droop", now that most everything else has been disconnected.

Just thinking out loud....
Old 01-05-2019, 03:32 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Thanks for all the help so far. At least I’m learning about the car. So, after thinking I found nothing serious wrong, I reassembled everything with the new snubber and crossmember bushings. Car sits low 1” to passenger side stil.

So so then I wondered about the strut rods and bracket as they have been replaced with new bolts before me. Something looks amiss.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:34 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Is this the correct bracket as I’ve seen many different ones in google images. This one is obviously bent. Also looking like the hard angle on the strut rods would be reduced if the bracket were flipped 180 degrees.

If im buying bushing, brackets,etc, any validity to get the adjustable units I’ve seen?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:22 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Is this the correct bracket as I’ve seen many different ones in google images. This one is obviously bent. Also looking like the hard angle on the strut rods would be reduced if the bracket were flipped 180 degrees.

If im buying bushing, brackets,etc, any validity to get the adjustable units I’ve seen?
The strut bracket looks like it's in the correct position, flat side to the rear of the car. Check out Globalwest.com and watch Dougs Video on strut rods. I've installed these on my rebuild/yet to be tested, but I'm confident they'll do the job.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Had the same issue but driver side was low, new front springs and the problem went away.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 1976 Rear spring help please

Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just a point not that it applies here but sway bar adjustments can effect ride height side to side.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

I got mine from RICKS CORVETTE, They make alignment easier. They are also more durable if you intend to really push the car. If yoy are going for an alignment in the rear I would get the SS shims for the rear trailing arms - 2 packs.

This is why I replaced mine.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Wow! Those are bent bad.

So, is it normal for the ends to look so tweaked to the side? It’s like the brackets were not angled properly.

Any thpught to the rods with heim joints instead of bushings?

Quick Reply: C3 1976 Rear spring help please