C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 1976 Rear spring help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C3 1976 Rear spring help please

Hope you guys can help. I have read countless threads on this, but nothing seems to match what I have going on. The car is new to me with no history of its past. The passenger side rear sits 1.5" low as measured from the ground to top of fender well opening. Tires inflated the same and measured to make sure. It had a 8 leaf, so I hoped wrong or worn spring was the issue. Bought new 9 leaf. Ride height increased about 1", but still had over a 1" difference. I have measured front- all good. Body bushing measure same compression. Frame crossframe to ground measurement follows ride height sloping to passenger.
What I did- feel very bad about this, but to prove to myself what is happening- I installed 14 grade 8 washers (about 1.5") between castle nut and large bushing washer to effectively shorten passenger side bolt. This brought car to withing 1/4" level. So closer that if you measure ground to crossframe now it is dead on. Everything looks perfect - except you can see the obvious difference in spring deflection to hold the car level.
What I feel it needs is a pinion shim like you would use on standard style springs but in my case a 2-3 degree angle that the spring is mounted to axle housing. Then spring tension would be good side to side.

Again, front end is dead level. Body is level to frame. rear wheel centers to frame were all that was out. It was even obvious in driveshaft angle.

I know something very obvious to one of you guys will scream at you, but it is alluding me.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:47 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

I would jack up the car so it is level to a height that you can get under the car.

Make sure the car is well supported.
Measure each frame to level ground to make sure it's level.

Now check the spring mount on the rear differential cover to see if it is level. If not check the diff mount and cross brace.

You should see something out of whack in that area.

Just remember if a front spring is bad it will affect the rear also. To test this jack up the car from the front just off the ground and measure the frame to ground under the front door as a reference. Both sides equal.

If the spring mount is tilted the car will tilt. If the diff is tilted - same. Check all mounts and bushings.

If you drop the spare tire tub it may reveal some issues and make life easier.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 12-23-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:59 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

We have a 4 post lift, so I’m doing all these measurements from under the car. So, the rear diff can be mounted out of level? That’s what it “feels” like in my mind with what I had to do to fix it.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 AM
BobRiley
Advanced

Also, the diff bolts to the cross frame as I call it. That is now level that the body is level. I measured the rear diff spring bracket 3 times sure it was casted out of level
Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

First if you have a new spring in the rear. I would remove the two front springs and make sure there is identical , or preferably replace with a known set of springs .
If one side of the rear Is down the the opposite side front has to be up . If the chassis is not bent.
measure chassis to ground on a level surface , before measuring body.
bfit

Last edited by bfit; 12-24-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:17 AM
BobRiley
Advanced

So, while rear was out of level-frontwas level. After rear is level-front is still level. I have assumed frame bent also, but since my car is now level and crossframeabove diff side to side is also level, I’m baffled as to what could be put.

I think ill put car back on lift and support frame level. Then remove spring and put level on axle diff. It has to be out, but I don’t see how it could be out. Doesn’t iount directly to frame which sits against body?
Old 12-24-2018, 12:31 AM
BobRiley
Advanced

Would front springs not make care out of level in front if one front spring was my issue? I need to remove to check?
Old 12-24-2018, 01:38 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Make sure the front springs are both properly mounted and the spring ends are locked into the spring pockets.
If one of the spring ends is not resting in the pocket it will throw everything out.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:58 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Can you post a photo of the rear suspension from the rear of the car. With the spare carrier removed if possible
bfit

Last edited by bfit; 12-24-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:12 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

The spring mount had 2 " tabs" that extend out from the diff cover which is the spring mount. If these are out of level even a slight amount - it will show up as a much larger deviation at the frame rail. due to the length away from the center of the car. I would take the spare tire tub out and double check the area.

If you can :

Jack up the car in the rear.
Remove both spring to trailing arm bolts.
Measure how far down the spring drops on both sides - should be the same.
Measure to the trailing arm spring mount hole both sides to the frame.- should be the same.

The only other variable is the shock. If a shock is bad it can upset the car. to test - set spring as normal - equal length both sides - remove the shocks, put the car on the ground and see if the car is level.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:07 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRiley
Also, the diff bolts to the cross frame as I call it. That is now level that the body is level. I measured the rear diff spring bracket 3 times sure it was casted out of level
Bob, correct me if I'm hearing you wrong, but it sounds as if you are thinking your rear differential cover was cast incorrectly?
In other words, the two red lines (on your rear cover) are not parallel.

If that's the case, it should be easy to verify by just comparing the two measurements at A and B. If the two measurements are the same, the rear cover is probably cast correctly, but if the rear cross member is bent, that could cause the rear to shift and create the same effect/result.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-24-2018, 12:09 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Would front springs not make care out of level in front if one front spring was my issue? I need to remove to check?
You have to think of the car as a 4 legged stool. If one leg is "off", it affects the other 3. My suggestion, so you don't have to do a lot of disassembly, and especially since you have the advantage of a 4 post lift (I'm extremely jealous!!), is to measure from the inner pivot bolts, of the lower a-arms, to the ramps of the lift, on both sides, in the front of the car. If this distance is equal, then your issue is most likely in the rear of the car. If the front isn't level, side to side, I'd recommend you attack that first, so you're not chasing your tail. And secondly, using the height of the fender openings, while frequently used, isn't always accurate, as the body panels aren't always attached in a uniform manner.

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Make sure the front springs are both properly mounted and the spring ends are locked into the spring pockets.
If one of the spring ends is not resting in the pocket it will throw everything out.
This is a good idea, too, and easy to check. Just look in the lower a-arm, and see if the spring indexes FULLY in the recess of the arm. This USUALLY is a proper check, HOWEVER, if you're not the original owner of the car, and know it's previous history, you won't know if a previous owner replaced the springs, and in doing so, installed proper springs.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

That is what was wrong with my '70. it sat low on the drivers side. PO had the rear spring reset by a local spring making company but it made no difference so he gave up, I replaced the front springs and the car sits level now. FWIW both the original springs were the same length when I removed them.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:11 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

I measured the front and it is dead level from control arms and any other points I can find to ground.

The rear casting is cast straight.

It must be in rear. I’m starting to wonder if cross brace is bent. Even a couple degrees might do this I would guess.

Wed ill I’ll be back in shop to look at. I think I’ll jack car on 4 post rolling jack( jealousy is really abound by now) 😂 then remove spring from both sides and hopefully I can see what part is out of level. I’ll take pics. Thanks everyone for the help.

This is the car I’ve wanted since HS, I’m 52 now. Finally money, time, the right car, and all other things in the universe have lined up.

Last edited by BobRiley; 12-24-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:35 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
The spring mount had 2 " tabs" that extend out from the diff cover which is the spring mount.
Can you show me what this looks like? My new spring bolted to diff and I don’t think there was anything but a rectangle shaped pad
Old 12-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,245 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and welcome!

First thing is to stop guessing and measure the frame,
The measurements can be found in your 76 Service Manual and look like this from the 74 book.

Take off the extra washers as they are not a proper fix.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:51 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Can you show me what this looks like? My new spring bolted to diff and I don’t think there was anything but a rectangle shaped pad
Bob, I believe these are the tabs he's referring to. One on each side, which are two of the four that hold the spring to the differential.

I've personally never seen a casting that appeared to have been incorrectly cast, but one person here who might have is Gary Ramadi, (GTR1999) who's probably looked at as many different castings as anyone here. He may stop by this post and comment, or you could send him a PM and ask him. I would be more inclined to think the cross-member or one of the sombrero's that attach it to the frame is at fault first.

Again, good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 12-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 1976 Rear spring help please

Old 12-24-2018, 05:31 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Snuck in today. Leveled frame. Cross frame seems out of level. Guessing crossframe bushings?

Last edited by BobRiley; 12-24-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:42 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

across frame
Old 12-24-2018, 05:48 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Quick Reply: C3 1976 Rear spring help please