Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Bearing material in pan, what would you do?

Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 PM
Gale Banks 80'
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

I'b be curious what the inside of the Oil Filter looks like.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:14 AM
randallsteel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Hey guys I know itís been a while, but I figured Iíd let everyone what was happening. Drove it for about 5 months and my oil pressure got lower, lost about 10 pounds. So I pulled the motor this last weekend and turns out.
cam bearings #1 and #2 were bad. The outer race on both of them were missing some chunks. So thatís where the strips came from and the extra clearance is why oil pressure went down.
bottom end is fine, one main bearing has a score mark, probably from metal in the oil. But crank is smooth and no issues.
thanks for the all the opinions dudes.
The following users liked this post:
F22 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 AM
JoeMinnesota
CF Senior Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Randall - we read a lot of posts that never get a final response or closure. Very nice of you to circle back on this one, so Thank You from some of us who were curious about your issue. Hmmm - cam bearings. Hopefully you're freshening up the motor and will get many more miles of enjoyment. Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 675 Likes on 625 Posts

Can bearings is usually an engine rebuild. Time you bang those bearings out you're getting stuff into the oil galleries. so the oil galleries have to be cleaned out which means the crank and the bearings have to leave. It's difficult but not impossible to pull the crank leaving all 8 pistons and place. But if you going to go through all this you can't justify not doing rings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bearing material in pan, what would you do?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: