C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Borgeson question I've not seen asked

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I've gotten rid of the stock PS in two Vettes.

In my 80, I swapped over to stock-style manual steering, with the proper drag-link and pitman arm. I have a GTR1999 steering box ready to install this winter, but even with the old sloppy box, steering is improved, but parking is difficult (backing into spaces, as I do with my truck anyway, helps.)

In my wife's 79, I put in a Borgeson box. She loves it. Steering is light and quick, with no slop. I added a U-joint, the frame brace, and shortly after the install, a newly rebuilt PS pump. I had to pull the column to collapse it.

The number one improvement, however, is that neither system leaks. I was going through a quart or more of PS fluid per month.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,587 Posts

In my case I have manual steering now, which I cannot stand with a BB.
So I have to buy something, either the leakprone original slow steering setup or the faster ratio, newer, leak free Borgenson. Costs is about the same, so in my case, it's no contest.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by leigh1322
In my case I have manual steering now, which I cannot stand with a BB.
So I have to buy something, either the leakprone original slow steering setup or the faster ratio, newer, leak free Borgenson. Costs is about the same, so in my case, it's no contest.
You won't be sorry. The Borgeson is way ahead of the stock setup.
BTW your right around the corner from me. I lived in Marlton for 25 years before moving down the road to Voorhees.

Quick Reply: A Borgeson question I've not seen asked