FiTech Fuel Injection timing control question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

FiTech Fuel Injection timing control question

Old 01-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Haggisbash
CF Senior Member

Default FiTech Fuel Injection timing control question

I am thinking of dumping the carb on my 350 and installing a FiTech injection system. I would like to utilise their timing control feature but am advised that the Pertronix module I have in the standard distributor cannot be used to send a signal to their unit and I need a magnetic pickup only. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what magnetic pickup would be suitable? Don't really want to have to shell out for a complete MSD unit or the like, they cost around a grand here.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Greengear
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haggisbash View Post
I am thinking of dumping the carb on my 350 and installing a FiTech injection system. I would like to utilise their timing control feature but am advised that the Pertronix module I have in the standard distributor cannot be used to send a signal to their unit and I need a magnetic pickup only. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what magnetic pickup would be suitable? Don't really want to have to shell out for a complete MSD unit or the like, they cost around a grand here.
I recently bought and installed a holley sniper fuel injection and matching holley distributor. I chose holley because they seem to be selling more than fitech or msd resulting in more individual forum posts and better support from other owners.
I am happy with the results because it works great. At least 50hp gain over my tired carb and hei.
As I understand it a different pick up is usually required for computerized timing control because of electro magnetic noise on the line from distributor to fi computer. Why a shielded cable would not allow for use of hei pick up I am not sure.
There is a youtube channel called turbo camarro. He made a video about modifying an hei for use with holley sniper in order to avoid buying the new distributor. I wanted to follow his instructions but ended up just buying the complete holley dist, coil and box. Im glad I did. I can cold start my 77 and immediately back out of an inclined driveway with no hesitation or surges. Idle cruise and wot all work great.

Last edited by Greengear; 01-10-2019 at 08:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greengear For This Useful Post:
Haggisbash (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Metalhead140
CF Senior Member

I'm using timing control with my Fitech, I picked up an older secondhand MSD dizzy/coil/6al for cheap before I built it, so never tried to get it to work with the stock ignition. Have a look, you may be surprised at how cheaply MSD stuff can be picked up secondhand, and based on my and a few others recent experience I believe the quality has gone downhill on new MSD stuff in the last couple of years anyway. If buying new I would probably buy ICE ignition instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metalhead140 For This Useful Post:
Haggisbash (01-11-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 AM
Sunstroked
CF Senior Member

I may have a different view than others. Im using newer msd distributor, 6al, coil, with the Fitech 600, and utilizing the timing control. MSD still builds quality stuff, Ive used MSD parts since 1980. Anyhow, it works pretty darn well. My suggestion would be to install the whatever fuel injection system you choose, get it running, then switch to a timing control if so desired. I had issues trying to run timing control when I did my initial installation. Tech support suggested I use a basic setup using the traditional vacuum advance which we are familiar with. I did and was quite happy with the results. Now I knew a bit about the fItech. When I installed the 434 sb I switched to timing control. I set the initial around 15btdc and drove it that way for a week or so before taking it to a tuner and having it chasis dyno tuned. My exhaust is still too small for the engine but 455 rwhp and 440 ft lbs torque is a real kick in the butt. New headers are on the wall in the garage, just need to build a 3" exhaust for the 500 rwhp the engine is capaable of.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM
c3_dk
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sunstroked View Post
I may have a different view than others. Im using newer msd distributor, 6al, coil, with the Fitech 600, and utilizing the timing control. MSD still builds quality stuff, Ive used MSD parts since 1980. Anyhow, it works pretty darn well. My suggestion would be to install the whatever fuel injection system you choose, get it running, then switch to a timing control if so desired. I had issues trying to run timing control when I did my initial installation. Tech support suggested I use a basic setup using the traditional vacuum advance which we are familiar with. I did and was quite happy with the results. Now I knew a bit about the fItech. When I installed the 434 sb I switched to timing control. I set the initial around 15btdc and drove it that way for a week or so before taking it to a tuner and having it chasis dyno tuned. My exhaust is still too small for the engine but 455 rwhp and 440 ft lbs torque is a real kick in the butt. New headers are on the wall in the garage, just need to build a 3" exhaust for the 500 rwhp the engine is capaable of.

If you are go for Fitech, then buy the 600hp kit, with ignition control, not the 400 hp with out.

Thx,
John

P.S Sunstroked again thanks for the deal, I love my 8572 :- )
The Following User Says Thank You to c3_dk For This Useful Post:
worship79 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:18 PM
jpattt24
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Just buy a $49.00 GM hei on ebay and use it.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Haggisbash
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jpattt24 View Post
Just buy a $49.00 GM hei on ebay and use it.
Could you elaborate?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 PM
jpattt24
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Could you elaborate?
You should be able to use a standard gm hei distributor. and run the fitech timing control with it. I have the fitech fuel injection on my engine with a gm hei. but im not using timing control. but pretty sure you can use it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-Ta...frcectupt=true

Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Haggisbash
CF Senior Member

Because I have a mechanical tach (recently renewed) I wanted to stick with the original distributor (also rebuilt a few years back but not many miles on it) so at this stage FI is looking like a too hard basket or rather too expensive option to me. Seems to get where I want I will need to run the existing ignition setup which I'm not entirely happy with because it won't give me the equivalent of manifold vacuum advance under 1500 rpm.
Tach conversion would run me to $500 here, MSD ignition $1000, FiTech 600 hp system $2,000, Fuel command centre $850, vent lines etc another $200 odd. It would make more sense to do an LS conversion $4800 here for second hand motor, wiring harness and computer.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:15 PM
jpattt24
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Because I have a mechanical tach (recently renewed) I wanted to stick with the original distributor (also rebuilt a few years back but not many miles on it) so at this stage FI is looking like a too hard basket or rather too expensive option to me. Seems to get where I want I will need to run the existing ignition setup which I'm not entirely happy with because it won't give me the equivalent of manifold vacuum advance under 1500 rpm.
Tach conversion would run me to $500 here, MSD ignition $1000, FiTech 600 hp system $2,000, Fuel command centre $850, vent lines etc another $200 odd. It would make more sense to do an LS conversion $4800 here for second hand motor, wiring harness and computer.
just get a tach drive distributor like in the ebay link. and don't use the timing control on the fitech. it a easy setup. I am running the same distributor and fitech. it runs great and im getting 17 miles per gallon. with a 450 hp 383.i also used the fitech inline fuel pump kit with line and everything needed in kit. the fitech 600hp system is only $1000.00 I also used the stock fuel and vent lines on my 71 only cost around $1400.00 for everything.

Last edited by jpattt24; 01-15-2019 at 05:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpattt24 For This Useful Post:
Haggisbash (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 PM
jackson
CF Senior Member

I used an HEI distributor without module simply to trigger an MSD 6 box and MSD canister coil. Then connected hi-tension from canister coil to an MSD adapter in place of deleted OE HEI coil then HEI to distribute hi-tension thru sp wires.

Maybe you can use an HEI without module to trigger FiTech?

-edit- maybe you can delete just the pertronix module but retain its pickup to trigger your FiTech?

Last edited by jackson; 01-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Haggisbash
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jackson View Post
I used an HEI distributor without module simply to trigger an MSD 6 box and MSD canister coil. Then connected hi-tension from canister coil to an MSD adapter in place of deleted OE HEI coil then HEI to distribute hi-tension thru sp wires.

Maybe you can use an HEI without module to trigger FiTech?

-edit- maybe you can delete just the pertronix module but retain its pickup to trigger your FiTech?
It would be interesting to find out if the HEI can be adapted to connect to the FiTech. I don't believe that the Pertronix can be adapted as it is an all one module.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FiTech Fuel Injection timing control question

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: