C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on power to manual brake conversion

Old 01-10-2019, 06:31 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Question on power to manual brake conversion

Based on the issues I am continuing to have with my power brakes because of my low vacuum, I am planning to switch to manual brakes.
I already have Wilwood calipers and M/C but I don't like having to run a vacuum pump to get enough vacuum and I think my booster is just a pain in the *** overall.

Has anyone done this switch? Any suggestions or learnings?

From what I understand, I need a higher brake pedal ratio for manual brakes. I haven't looked under the dash yet but the assembly manual suggests that there is already a hole higher up on my brake pedal. If not, I may be screwed because there is no way I can get a drill in there to drill a higher one.

I very roughly measured the pedal ratio. 4" to the rod on a 13" pedal. He told me for manual brakes I am going to need the attachment closer to 2.5" from the pivot!.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Its my understanding that you will need to change your MC again, to a manual unit. The difference is how far or how close the piston is to the mounting flange surface. One piston is more shallow than the other when viewing from the back side or booster side or firewall side. This will affect the pedal rod length.

What are the drawbacks of your electric Vac pump? Noisy? Runs all the time? Takes up valuable space?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Manual m/c has a 1" bore. Use the upper hole on the pedal.

Power m/c has a 1 1/8" bore. Use the lower hole on the pedal.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:50 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Yes it can be done.

Yes, the pedal already has the holes needed. You’ll have to switch your stripper plate for the brake light switch. It’ll go in the hole currently occupied by the clevis and visa versa. There is a different striker plate for manual.

You’lll need a manual pushrod. Theyre are not easy to find.

the hole in the firewall will have to be elongated. I’ll post the pic if I can find it.

Last, you’ll need a new master cylinder with a smaller diameter bore.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Its my understanding that you will need to change your MC again, to a manual unit. The difference is how far or how close the piston is to the mounting flange surface. One piston is more shallow than the other when viewing from the back side or booster side or firewall side. This will affect the pedal rod length.

What are the drawbacks of your electric Vac pump? Noisy? Runs all the time? Takes up valuable space?
Yes. All of the above. It is loud, adds complexity, adds load on the electrical, takes up a lot of room.
The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (01-13-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Yes it can be done.

Yes, the pedal already has the holes needed. You’ll have to switch your stripper plate for the brake light switch. It’ll go in the hole currently occupied by the clevis and visa versa. There is a different striker plate for manual.

You’lll need a manual pushrod. Theyre are not easy to find.

the hole in the firewall will have to be elongated. I’ll post the pic if I can find it.

Last, you’ll need a new master cylinder with a smaller diameter bore.
Thanks.
I already have a 1" bore Wilwood M/C and the guy said they can send me the rod for it.
Its VERY good to know that I should already have an upper hole for it on the pedal.
I will take a look at the 68 switch. I think that one will be ok with the change in pushrod location.

Yeah if you can find the pic of the firewall, I would totally appreciate it!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Thanks.
I already have a 1" bore Wilwood M/C and the guy said they can send me the rod for it.
Its VERY good to know that I should already have an upper hole for it on the pedal.
I will take a look at the 68 switch. I think that one will be ok with the change in pushrod location.

Yeah if you can find the pic of the firewall, I would totally appreciate it!
Lets see if this works. The only place I could find it is on Photobucket. If you haven’t heard, Photobucket sucks putrid donkey *****.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I've got all the parts here to swap to manual myself, but I'm going to change to dual masters with a balance bar at the same time to allow me to tune the brake balance front to rear. Actually not overly expensive, probably no more than replacing a factory master and booster, but will require removing and modifying the brake pedal, as well as modifying the firewall and fabricating some brackets and brake lines.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's a good visual-

Manual on the left- Power on the right-

The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Man up. The power booster in mine failed this Fall. Just have to put one's quads to work. I can lock all four. Just is a bore on an incline when stopped. Some real pressure has to be maintained on the pedal or the car will roll.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 AM
Dusky
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

You dont 100% need a manual rod. You can space out the matter cylinder too. Just an idea, it's what I did after having no luck finding a proper rod.
I also kept the (new) power master I just bought. Seems to work fine. Maybe needs a bit more effort.

Last edited by Dusky; 01-11-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I just went the other way. Manual to PB. I swapped out the whole pedal box to a PB pedal box. I have the manual pedal box if you want to go that way.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

If you look at the pic that I posted closely, you’ll see some of the differences for the pedal box that Gordon is talking about. The manual box has studs coming out towards the master cylinder, just below the top two holes on the power brake box. It can certainly be done without it and the hole locations aren’t hugely different, but if you want to do it as closely to original as possible...
Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 849 Likes on 623 Posts

Scott, here are two pics of the bracket I got from Master Power Brakes which allow you to use manual brakes with the power brake pedal box which I am doing. As you can see on the bracket, the master cylinder mounting holes are right in the middle of the power box/brake booster holes with some adjustment available as seen in pics. Now everything I have seen and read says manual master mounting studs were only a half inch below the top holes, so I may make a new adapter bracket to these dimensions. Third and fourth pic show difference between power and manual firewall where you can see how close to the top holes the manual master mounts. Matching up Richard’s pic above, with my bottom pics you can see the difference in manual and power pedal box. Easiest may be to get the manual box from Gordon and just drill the new holes. The metal reinforcement is there in the firewall to accommodate both set ups.

Outside of this bracket, I did everything people have said up above. Top hole in pedal, manual brake pushrod (Ebay), different brake light switch bracket, and 1” bore master cylinder. They worked great, although while my car is apart I may remake this bracket to match factory dimensions of manual master cylinder mount. Hope this helps!

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:00 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Bought a 75 at the auction. halfway home I got out to pull the cap and see what's wrong with the brake fluid level. I realized there was no power booster. I can't understand anybody removing power brakes.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Based on the issues I am continuing to have with my power brakes because of my low vacuum, I am planning to switch to manual brakes.
I already have Wilwood calipers and M/C but I don't like having to run a vacuum pump to get enough vacuum and I think my booster is just a pain in the *** overall.

Has anyone done this switch? Any suggestions or learnings?

From what I understand, I need a higher brake pedal ratio for manual brakes. I haven't looked under the dash yet but the assembly manual suggests that there is already a hole higher up on my brake pedal. If not, I may be screwed because there is no way I can get a drill in there to drill a higher one.

I very roughly measured the pedal ratio. 4" to the rod on a 13" pedal. He told me for manual brakes I am going to need the attachment closer to 2.5" from the pivot!.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing as I was not happy with how far down my brake pedal goes. I want to say Wilwood suggest using a 1" for power brakes and 3/4" bore for manual, you should check with the manufacturer of your Master cylinder.

Last edited by Kacyc3; 01-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Guys removed PB or found manual disc cars back in the day so they could save weight and not have hassles with rowdy cams. They stop just fine
Using a vacuum canister and PB,right on the line of "ok" and having to eliminate them....Im spoiled though they are stayin

Get notified of new replies

To Question on power to manual brake conversion

Old 01-12-2019, 10:17 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Hydraboost?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
I have been thinking about doing the same thing as I was not happy with how far down my brake pedal goes. I want to say Wilwood suggest using a 1" for power brakes and 3/4" bore for manual, you should check with the manufacturer of your Master cylinder.
Iam using the 7/8" master cylinder from wilwood, Iam sure they dont do a 3/4?

i did a power to manual conversion, the manual brakes work great, the 7/8 gives more line pressure, so easier on your leg

Last edited by corvettedave383; 01-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by corvettedave383
Iam using the 7/8" master cylinder from wilwood, Iam sure there dont do a 3/4?

i did a power to manual conversion, the manual brakes work great, the 7/8 gives more line pressure, so easier on your leg
I've got the 7/8" as well- they don't make anything smaller in the tandem style.

It was recommended as I'm running 14" 6 pistons calipers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on power to manual brake conversion