C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milling down the divider of the intake, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

GM used to mill the whole plenum out square as much as they could and machine the divider clear out down to the floor.
Also, any radius work at the floor level where the upper and lower meet, or the "cliff" is helpful as well as any area where the mill leaves a sharp edge.
When I decide to put the sneaky Winters LT-1/DZ manifold on mine......this is what I will do.......

Jebby
Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
GM used to mill the whole plenum out square as much as they could and machine the divider clear out down to the floor.
Also, any radius work at the floor level where the upper and lower meet, or the "cliff" is helpful as well as any area where the mill leaves a sharp edge.
When I decide to put the sneaky Winters LT-1/DZ manifold on mine......this is what I will do.......

Jebby
That's a "question" I've always been curious about. If the idea is to open the plenum sufficiently to allow both sides of the carburetor to feed all of the runners, why is/was Chevrolet doing one thing on the manifold (machining the wall completely out), and recommending something else in the Power book (leaving a quarter inch of wall remaining). And, once you get that close to the upper plenum floor, is that quarter inch wall doing anything productive?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

Machining the center was a way to get the open "chamber" single plane benefit in a dual plane. Dual plane manifolds are / were better on the street in low power / low RPM driving - less stumble.. etc.

Way back in the late 60's there was an article with tests to "determine" what worked best, and how much to machine out. (for street / strip cars)

Without getting too technical - it has to do with the reverse pulses and signal to the carb.

If you understand how a "tuned pipe" works on a chain saw or motorcycle you can understand the theory of machining the divider on the manifold. It's not the exact same but it has do with the waves and return waves from the closed valves...

It's quite complex and the math is not easy... + it's RPM dependent.

IT's like a Tunnel Ram on the street = looks cool but a PIA and great at the track.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-21-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 571 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I wonder when someone will try it on one of those junk L-82 aluminum intakes.everybody back in the day used to cut down the divider, because generally it worked.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:27 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by gg521
To get back to the original question, here is a video that discusses the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DvnoHWagk
Actually they missed what is going on here. If you look at all the runs they all have a torque dip at the start of every run. This is an exhaust reversion induced torque dip from running open headers. I've seen it a thousand times if I've seen it once. It can be cured with anti reversion methods such as just putting a muffler on the header. What they are really missing is that when you have an open plenum with a larger area there is less signal to the venturis. The reversion waves are lessened in force by the large volume plenum so the backwards airflow produced by reversion waves do not have as big of an effect on the air fuel curve from double carburation. With the divided plenum there is less dampening of the reversion waves and they actually push air out backwards through the carb and then are drawn back through again making a way overly rich air fuel ratio. The whole test would have looked different if they would have had mufflers on the engine.

Mike
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
As PAmotorman mentioned, the Chevy Power Catalog recommends leaving a quarter inch ridge between the plenum halves.
that is because without the lip you will have fuel spill over as there is always raw fuel puddled in the floor of the intake
Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
That's a "question" I've always been curious about. If the idea is to open the plenum sufficiently to allow both sides of the carburetor to feed all of the runners, why is/was Chevrolet doing one thing on the manifold (machining the wall completely out), and recommending something else in the Power book (leaving a quarter inch of wall remaining). And, once you get that close to the upper plenum floor, is that quarter inch wall doing anything productive?
Not sure.......but the LT-2 454 Test car was milled out and down as much as possible........this was 1970. I think that if you leave some divider in it....it would cause some turbulence at WOT when it is moving some real air.......the "divider" to me would just get in the way of flow left and right.
Of course at this point, the only real reason to run a dual plane like this is for looks........just step up to a single plane, it is going to signal the same but flow better......

Jebby
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Not sure.......but the LT-2 454 Test car was milled out and down as much as possible........this was 1970. I think that if you leave some divider in it....it would cause some turbulence at WOT when it is moving some real air.......the "divider" to me would just get in the way of flow left and right.
Of course at this point, the only real reason to run a dual plane like this is for looks........just step up to a single plane, it is going to signal the same but flow better......

Jebby
I agree with you there. My problem is I just like the stock/sleeper look.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
that is because without the lip you will have fuel spill over as there is always raw fuel puddled in the floor of the intake
I could see this happening....maybe a 1/4” of divider will keep wet fuel from falling into the lower half....

Jebby
Old 01-23-2019, 06:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Milling it down if you have overlap gets shared with all cyls...personally I think you eiher get a good dual or single plane setup you cant make one do both.

Can only get so much through those longer runners anways
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 571 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well there's a few minutes of my life I won't get back. Boring! Sorry , just expected nothing else

Quick Reply: Milling down the divider of the intake, yes or no?