C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 runs too hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New shroud

Originally Posted by carriljc
What shroud are you getting? Something with new fans? Hopefully you are not ordering a stock shroud to use with those electric fans?
I found an aluminum shroud (cookie sheet &#128522 that fits 12” existing fans. It fits the measurements of the existing radiator. I’m going to try this first. Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Penelopegirl

I found an aluminum shroud (cookie sheet ��) that fits 12” existing fans. It fits the measurements of the existing radiator. I’m going to try this first. Thanks

Wonderful. I found a video on youtube where a guy cookie-sheeted a couple of fans. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I also found discussion/videos of installing Ford Focus Dual Fans and of installing mid 90's Camaro V-6 Dual Fans. Those puppies are already built into a self-contained shrouded fans. If you cannot find then just say so and I'll go find info again (or you can try using the search function on this forum -- it is quite good).
When my fan ever fails I will probably go to dual fans. I went with a manufacturer's fan because they're expected to last through a warranty and because I thought I could always go find one later...hahaha... well, I can no longer find a new Lincoln Mark 8 fan. The Camaro 3.8L v-6 and Ford Focus dual fans may be available longer since they were a lot more popular.

Last edited by carriljc; 01-20-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Penelopegirl - you've got this discussion going in 2 threads so I am also adding this here:

-hopefully your cookie sheet shroud plan works. However, if it does not, then take a look at this thread.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587817315

Per your discussion I would not expect you to enjoy wandering around a pick-a-part (I do ) and these mid 90's Camaro fan assemblies are all put together with a shroud. In the post above F22 even shows dimenions with a tape measure. Great post with F22.
The following users liked this post:
F22 (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I found an aluminum shroud (cookie sheet &#128522 that fits 12” existing fans. It fits the measurements of the existing radiator. I’m going to try this first. Thanks
The first step is to identify the problem. I don't feel this has been done. Lots of assuming going on here.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
Penelopegirl - you've got this discussion going in 2 threads so I am also adding this here:

-hopefully your cookie sheet shroud plan works. However, if it does not, then take a look at this thread.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587817315

Per your discussion I would not expect you to enjoy wandering around a pick-a-part (I do ) and these mid 90's Camaro fan assemblies are all put together with a shroud. In the post above F22 even shows dimenions with a tape measure. Great post with F22.
Five years later, they're still running well. It was a half off day, and I picked up the Camaro fan assembly for $40! Perfect fit too. Just had to make sure the circumference of the shroud was sealed with a thin rubber strip to the radiator. Air will (and does) takes the route of least resistance.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
The first step is to identify the problem. I don't feel this has been done. Lots of assuming going on here.
This is true. Somebody put together a neat little list in this thread.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

i am suspecting the water pump as well.
especially after recent posts about 3 mile trips.
wrong rotation
Old 01-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

I ordered something like this. Fits existing and not expensive.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Hello folks
i called March and with the help of Price he confirmed they sent the reverse rotation water pump with my kit parts. I told him about the overheating and he suggested thermostat much lower like 160 which several of you have mentioned and might check whether the water is moving too fast. He said to look for Morosso resistors to slow it down. I think I saw this comment elsewhere. So waiting on parts and ready to ride.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Hello folks
i called March and with the help of Price he confirmed they sent the reverse rotation water pump with my kit parts. I told him about the overheating and he suggested thermostat much lower like 160 which several of you have mentioned and might check whether the water is moving too fast. He said to look for Morosso resistors to slow it down. I think I saw this comment elsewhere. So waiting on parts and ready to ride.
the other thread a guy mentioned the serp belt setup
is an underdrive pulley.
basically the pump spins too slow.
restricting it will hurt, if indeed the pump turns too slow.
i have had good luck with a high volume pump.
this makes more water flow.
there is a long debate about time the water is in the block.
some say, like your mech it is going too fast and doesn't cool so restrict it.
some say bs. my own experience fast helps.

i would first see if the serp belt underdrives the pump, meaning it turns to slow.

good luck
Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I ordered something like this. Fits existing and not expensive.
But No pass-thru flapper(s)
That's nice...where & how much?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Hello folks
He is full of it. 180* stat is fine. Pumping too fast is urban legend, rooted back in the old days of vertical radiators.

I am glad the pump is correct.

Do you have any idea what the base timing is set at? Do you have any info on which carb/jets were installed.

The more we know, the better to nail it down. I know you are frustrated, but don't throw parts at it till we identify the issue/s.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackson
But No pass-thru flapper(s)
That's nice...where & how much?
I googled it and Found it on Amazon like $79 free shipping. Takes a week to get here. I looked for one with integrated fans but they were all $400-500 so I decided to stick to the cheap route for right now and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

I googled it and Found it on Amazon like $79 free shipping. Takes a week to get here. I looked for one with integrated fans but they were all $400-500 so I decided to stick to the cheap route for right now and see what happens.
I agree. I popped over to that other thread for a specific question because that guy has my exact engine and it got out of control. Sorry.
Hey. Couple of mentions that since all this is new maybe they need to burp the system. How is that done? I’ve asked this kid working on my car a couple questions and I swear he gets a blank look on his face. Did I mention my late father built a Model T truck from the ground up when I was a kid? I’ve had cars in my blood since I was born.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

I agree. I popped over to that other thread for a specific question because that guy has my exact engine and it got out of control. Sorry.
Hey. Couple of mentions that since all this is new maybe they need to burp the system. How is that done? I’ve asked this kid working on my car a couple questions and I swear he gets a blank look on his face. Did I mention my late father built a Model T truck from the ground up when I was a kid? I’ve had cars in my blood since I was born.
Kid? Oh crap.

I have a 1923 Ford Touring I built when I was 16..How much is that plane ticket?

Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

He is full of it. 180* stat is fine. Pumping too fast is urban legend, rooted back in the old days of vertical radiators.

I am glad the pump is correct.

Do you have any idea what the base timing is set at? Do you have any info on which carb/jets were installed.

The more we know, the better to nail it down. I know you are frustrated, but don't throw parts at it till we identify the issue/s.
Oops post 74 was supposed to reference you. That’s a new carb. But again I don’t have the invoice. I agree. Waiting on the shroud.
Changing the therm. Adding some seals. Checking the timing. And how to burp? Test? The car sat for so long I guess I should be happy if this is the only issue. It’s just frustrating and with the cool temps it’s perfect driving weather in Florida. I haven’t even thought about the air conditioning yet. Can’t deal with that until I get a better baseline on this. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Kid? Oh crap.

I have a 1923 Ford Touring I built when I was 16..How much is that plane ticket?
I’m telling my age when under 30 is a kid. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To 78 runs too hot

Old 01-21-2019, 06:36 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Burp

Oops post 74 was supposed to reference you. That’s a new carb. But again I don’t have the invoice. I agree. Waiting on the shroud.
Changing the therm. Adding some seals. Checking the timing. And how to burp? Test? The car sat for so long I guess I should be happy if this is the only issue. It’s just frustrating and with the cool temps it’s perfect driving weather in Florida. I haven’t even thought about the air conditioning yet. Can’t deal with that until I get a better baseline on this. Thanks for all the help.
I'm not looking at the pic right now … but I recall pic of your motor.
I recall there was a hexagonal "pipe" standing vertical adjacent to your t'stat housing. I recall that hex had what seemed a bolt or large allen screw in its top.
I recall this because when I saw it thought that someone was thinking ahead to install the hex.
So, open the "port" atop the "hex" and use that to burp as it's likely the highest point in your cooling system.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

A few more simple tests I know you can do.

If you have a sloped driveway, set the car nose up and take off the radiator cap when cold.Don't trust the parking brake yet.Use a wheel chock. You want the cap higher than the engine.
Start the car, then wait for the stat to open. You will see flow, and verify it's full. Shut it off.
Take note of the temp reading when the fans come on.
Now turn the key on, don't start the engine,and carefully feel the air flow. It should feel like 6 or more hair dryers.
(At this point, we don't know if the fans are pushers, or pullers, or even hooked up correct polarity).
Re install the cap, making sure the arrows align with the overflow hose.

See if you can identify the distributor model number, the vacuum advance, and the color of the springs under the rotor. Check invoices again. Distributor and carb part numbers help.

Do what your comfortable with. Nothing else.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackson
I'm not looking at the pic right now … but I recall pic of your motor.
I recall there was a hexagonal "pipe" standing vertical adjacent to your t'stat housing. I recall that hex had what seemed a bolt or large allen screw in its top.
I recall this because when I saw it thought that someone was thinking ahead to install the hex.
So, open the "port" atop the "hex" and use that to burp as it's likely the highest point in your cooling system.
Good catch Jackson
I wonder if the kid knows which way the stat goes. Ive seen dumber.
I also wonder if that pump has a bypass.
If she goes 180*, maybe a robert shaw with the bypass holes.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 01-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 78 runs too hot