C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What head for 383 builds

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:33 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

https://drivemag.com/video/cylinder-...-masters-ep-28
Old 01-22-2019, 12:50 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
A 195 is hard to beat for a solid all around street engine with a mild or moderately sized HR cam.....more aimed at the conservative driver that spends most of his time under 6000 RPM
A 210 is a good choice for a hotter street strip application.....slightly larger cam and more RPM.....the guy that wants to run it up a bit and spin it 65-6800 RPM when he races it. Still a great choice with a conservative cam if your looking for a head you can get more aggressive with later.

Regards,
Tony
Wow!

Tony, any thoughts on the appropriateness of building a roughly 6,000 RPM HP Peak 383 choosing the 210cc AFR head to have "room to grow" (potential to move to a higher RPM peaking cam later)? (looking at the airflow chart vs. min CSA diff (1.905" vs. 2.1") the airflow seems to increase more than the CSA with the jump to the 210cc head and a 383's got decent piston speeds at lower RPMs, too vs. a 350) -Assuming a modern hyd roller cam that should help keep the torque up in the lower RPMs?

-Just bump the TC stall and call it good?

This seems to be the place that so many of these build threads end. They end up right on the edge in application between the 195cc head and the 210cc head and at a distance on paper anyway it seems like the 210cc head holds more future potential than you'd give up on the bottom end.

Adam
Old 01-22-2019, 02:18 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Adam, all the new AFR eliminator heads have lighter small stem valves. lots of the modern LS h-roller motors have a factory 7000 red line. I've had friends who built their 383's using the later roller cam blocks with LS7 lifters and set their rev limiters to 7000. they use according to what I've been told cams with 236 or 240 intake duration. I have always been using solid rollers with the best components and red line is what ever I want. I've just kinda used a 7500 rpm limit to make things last longer.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:14 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 903 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Wow!

Tony, any thoughts on the appropriateness of building a roughly 6,000 RPM HP Peak 383 choosing the 210cc AFR head to have "room to grow" (potential to move to a higher RPM peaking cam later)? (looking at the airflow chart vs. min CSA diff (1.905" vs. 2.1") the airflow seems to increase more than the CSA with the jump to the 210cc head and a 383's got decent piston speeds at lower RPMs, too vs. a 350) -Assuming a modern hyd roller cam that should help keep the torque up in the lower RPMs?

-Just bump the TC stall and call it good?

This seems to be the place that so many of these build threads end. They end up right on the edge in application between the 195cc head and the 210cc head and at a distance on paper anyway it seems like the 210cc head holds more future potential than you'd give up on the bottom end.

Adam
No issues with that at all.....honestly a 210 head on a 383 is not big by any means.....its the equivalent of 195 on a 350 and that combo tends to work out real well even with modest cam profiles.....your situation would be no different

When your ready reach out to me personally and I will set you up with a winning combination....no guesswork and results you can count on

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
DItto, that site can be humbling with all the brains on there, I bet it stays up. The information there trumps about any enthusiast forum around.
Good to see you drop in Tony. Those Darts you did years ago are still rockin.
Sheepster....hope all is well with you....we should catch up some time.....wasn't sure if you were still in So Cal or not

Talk soon
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-23-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Quick Reply: What head for 383 builds