C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx run in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
Are you referring to GM crate engines? I have no awareness of any mention in my instructions. There certainly was no oil in the crankcase.
I was at the Michigan facility that builds the LS7 motors and they all had Mobil 1 in them from the get go.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Are you referring to GM crate engines? I have no awareness of any mention in my instructions. There certainly was no oil in the crankcase.
No....another poster said his engine in his Vette came from the factory with synthetic oil.....
You can’t seat rings with synthetic oil.
Sorry for the confusion.....

Jebby
Old 02-01-2019, 12:54 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Even though your engine may have came with synthetic in the crankcase new.......the engine is run beforehand to seat rings with mineral oil.

Jebby
Ive read a detailed build of my engine type at GM, engine isnt started, just primed with oil to make sure its getting oil pressure, thats it, maybe iam wrong
Old 02-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan

No....another poster said his engine in his Vette came from the factory with synthetic oil.....
You can’t seat rings with synthetic oil.
Sorry for the confusion.....

Jebby
Looking into this a little deeper this is an ongoing debate on most forums. Most of the top engine builders state now with the machining tolerances now that can be held with modern equipment there is no need to "break in" the motors. Rings included. From all that I have seen and read all the GM LS engines come with synthetic oil from the first fire of the spark plugs.

There is a lot of myths and speculation out there and I am no expert or engineer as there are a lot smarter engineers at GM that design this but if the block is machined correctly the rings will seat with either type of oil.

Open for discussion
The following users liked this post:
ignatz (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 02:50 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Looking into this a little deeper this is an ongoing debate on most forums. Most of the top engine builders state now with the machining tolerances now that can be held with modern equipment there is no need to "break in" the motors. Rings included. From all that I have seen and read all the GM LS engines come with synthetic oil from the first fire of the spark plugs.

There is a lot of myths and speculation out there and I am no expert or engineer as there are a lot smarter engineers at GM that design this but if the block is machined correctly the rings will seat with either type of oil.

Open for discussion
The crate motor was dry. My Z06/LS7 of course came with oil. The crate motor comes with a very detailed set of break-in instructions and it includes Mobil 1.

Gordonm (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:19 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Yes Correct my LS7 Z06 came with Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic from the factory as well, BUT all GM engines and cars come with a detailed breakin procedure regardless of the factory oil fill. I think that the tolerances are MUCH tighter on new generation engines which as surmised allows for synthetic oil to be used during breakin versus conventional oil for breakin on my Gen 1 355 L-82 after its rebuild. The notion that keeps coming up, though, that newer GM engines, crate motors, roller cammed Gen 1 SBC, or ANY motor when new does not need a breakin, frankly, is a little ridiculous. The fact is that any new motor with new parts will experience metal shavings and filings during the first 1,000 miles or so. Those metal shavings and parts can and will contaminate the new engine internals if not done progressively with subsequent oil/filter changes....There is no getting around this new engine event.
Those who start new engines and let er rip are most likely not going to see the fruits, or lack there off, until later in the engine's life. I mentioned this earlier in another thread, that I am often shocked at the very few thousand miles some of these rebuilt SBC's go before another rebuild is necessary and I am beginning to understand the cause of this event?????!!!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 02-01-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:28 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Same here....plus I broke a exhaust manifold bolt off in the head (late at night test fitting headers and forgot to put antisieze on ss bolts. I pulled head to have it removed before i cranked it. The pistons looked brand new, plus there were paint or sharpie marks on top of pistons. I doubt those would've survived breaking in.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

I've had a few LS engines built over the years. First start on a engine dyno with dino oil typically 10-30 race? oil. Then after a short run up to temp both the oil filter and oil are dropped and filled with 10-30 Mobil 1. That is what the engine builder likes so who am I to second guess. All have run well.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:44 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettedave383
Ive searched these forums and others, cant really get an exact answer relating to my question

Ive got a new LSX b15 crate engine from GM, trying find out what run in oil to use - mineral or fully synthetic?
the gm create instructions say to use a fully synthetic oil at break in?

general talk on the web seem to suggest mineral to start with or is that relating to older engines or ??

thoughts?
Those motors are built to a far tighter tolerance than the old motors. That and the camshafts in the newer motors are roller from the factory. No need to run a break in oil because there really isn't much to break in.
corvettedave383 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:04 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Here is non auto engine anecdote.

Brand new lawn tractor with 15 hp Kohler Command Engine in 1998. Kohler says breakin the engine using 10W-30 conventional oil for 25 hours and then change oil/filter. I always warmed the engine to operating temp during the breakin 25 hours before using. I do just that and then switch to 5W-30 Mobil 1, later Mobil 1 15W-50, and for about the last 10 years Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula, none of which is specified by Kohler as an approved weight OR to use a synthetic, over the intervening 22 years. This engine today has somewhere between 2,500-3,000 hours on it cutting grass and does not burn 1 drop of oil during the cutting season. I change the oil and filter once per year, 2 qts Mobil 1 synthetic, and good to go.

2 points:
This engine required a conventional oil breakin and the synthetic oil has no doubt allowed this engine to operate with zero oil usage after so many hours. The local lawn repair guys are astounded that the engine is still operating and burns zero oil. Hmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by jb78L-82; 02-02-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

15 hp Kohler Command Engine - you can't kill it! LOL! Had mine for 13 years and only changed the oil twice! Used the JD LT150 in the winter too with a 42" snowblower.

I think engine design technology has progressed to the point where break-in is not required on some engines but is on others. Rings are designed to seat with dino or synthetic oils from first start-up, afaik.

Quick Reply: LSx run in oil?