C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 L82 code 4 - loose lifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:21 AM
C3-79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 79 L82 code 4 - loose lifters

Hello everyone...

I am replacing my leaking valve covers/gaskets with new ones, while at it I checked the lifters and I have a couple loose should I work on that or just live it alone? What torque should those lifters be at in a complete stock engine?

One more question to I need to sand down the head surface were the gasket makes contact completely to the metal or just make sure the surface is smooth? I used yet sand paper and removed most of the oil/gunk/gasket but it still has some dark spots on it that would require more sanding to be 100% metal...

Thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

suggest you acquire your own copy of a basic repair-rebuild manual for small block chevy.
your lifters are NOT adjusted using a torque value.
your lifters ARE adjusted using a LASH method.

suggest do Not use sandpaper on gasket surfaces.
suggest DO use a penknife followed with scotchbrite abrasive pad.

get a book!
The following users liked this post:
C3-79 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:43 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Good God NO, sandpaper! Would you take some sand and sprinkle it on the cylinder head? That's exactly what sanding would be like. Where does the sand go? Into the oil. Where does the oil go? Into the bearings.
Use a plastic razor blade (eBay) and a rag soaked in Acetone (Walmart) to remove old RTV / gasket material.

Lifters (rocker-arms) are not torqued to any specifications. They ARE however set and this is called setting the valvelash. Check on YouTube for some videos for SBC valvelash adjustment. A common rachet / socket will do the trick. Do not leave any loose, watch the video.

If some of the rockers-arms are loose, I suspect your camshaft might be suffering abnormal wear. Are you using a oil with Zinc content mixed in?

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 02-17-2019 at 01:45 PM.
C3-79 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:15 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Setting lifters is not hard, but you do need to know what you are doing. Do not get a general repair manual, i.e. Chilton's, etc. They are garbage. HeadsUP is correct about YouTube
C3-79 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

lifters can bleed down some after its shut off making you think its loose when they are really just fine. Once running if they tick a lot could be different.
C3-79 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
C3-79
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackson
suggest you acquire your own copy of a basic repair-rebuild manual for small block chevy.
your lifters are NOT adjusted using a torque value.
your lifters ARE adjusted using a LASH method.

suggest do Not use sandpaper on gasket surfaces.
suggest DO use a penknife followed with scotchbrite abrasive pad.

get a book!
Thanks Jackson,
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
C3-79
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Good God NO, sandpaper! Would you take some sand and sprinkle it on the cylinder head? That's exactly what sanding would be like. Where does the sand go? Into the oil. Where does the oil go? Into the bearings.
Use a plastic razor blade (eBay) and a rag soaked in Acetone (Walmart) to remove old RTV / gasket material.

Lifters (rocker-arms) are not torqued to any specifications. They ARE however set and this is called setting the valvelash. Check on YouTube for some videos for SBC valvelash adjustment. A common rachet / socket will do the trick. Do not leave any loose, watch the video.

If some of the rockers-arms are loose, I suspect your camshaft might be suffering abnormal wear. Are you using a oil with Zinc content mixed in?
HeadsU.P. thanks I used yet sandpaper very fine and taped the all around the inside of heads just left the gasket area exposed.... after I was done I used WD40 to washdown and clean the heads I plugged the drains while doing that as well...

I did check youtube but my muflers are shot and the cars is really loud... I have to replace the rusted muflers in order to be able to hear the valves while adjusting...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:01 PM
C3-79
Advanced

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Setting lifters is not hard, but you do need to know what you are doing. Do not get a general repair manual, i.e. Chilton's, etc. They are garbage. HeadsUP is correct about YouTube
Thanks ratflinger

I can't hear the valves over the rusted muflers I will have to replace it before doing that....
Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM
C3-79
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
lifters can bleed down some after its shut off making you think its loose when they are really just fine. Once running if they tick a lot could be different.
Thanks cuisinartvette

Maybe that is case.. but a couple were really loose

Get notified of new replies

To 79 L82 code 4 - loose lifters

Quick Reply: 79 L82 code 4 - loose lifters