C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 tbi 's leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 PM
capnron3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 tbi 's leaking gas

just purchased 82 vette with 55000 original miles , I have had the chance to take it out a couple of times however in new England not good weather rite now after I park the car in the garage I get an slight odor of gas I believe its comin from the throttle body is this normal for this year vette?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by capnron3
just purchased 82 vette with 55000 original miles , I have had the chance to take it out a couple of times however in new England not good weather rite now after I park the car in the garage I get an slight odor of gas I believe its comin from the throttle body is this normal for this year vette?
Sometimes it is possible you will smell a faint odor of gas if you were getting on it hard and then parked. The fuel may have splashed out of the TB rim a tad and that's what you smell. The injector is bad/dirty if it is also dribbling while running. However, if you watch the TBs after you start the motor and idling and either one is dripping gas out of the injector while spraying, you have an issue. Also if it drips after you shut off the motor, you probably have the small bottom o-ring in the injector pod bad and needs to be replaced. If you do that, you might as well rebuild both TBs, it isn't that hard either. Here is the kit to buy from Autozone, GP Sorensen/Throttle Body Rebuild Kit PN: 96-629 I think they are still about $45 and it will do both TBs with some parts let over that you will not need that are for the dual two barrel TBs. This kit is the ONLY kit that I know of for sure that is correct for the bladders, there are other out there that LOOK like they are the same, they are NOT the same and you will have issues with the motor. A good way to see if your injectors are performing correctly is to connect a timing light up and at idle, point the light at the injectors. Since your injectors pulse as they fire and the light pulses on #1 fire you can easily watch for a nice spray pattern coming from the injector. If it doesn't look like a perfect reverse cone, something is probably wrong including your fuel pressure. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-19-2019 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
capnron3 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The injectors on my 82 were dripping gas while pulsing. I pulled them and sent them off to FIC for rebuild. Relatively inexpensive and quick turn-around. Just make sure you record the stamped part number along with its location on the manifold. The injectors are not identical.
capnron3 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: have you check the fuel vapor canister?
capnron3 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifter36
The injectors on my 82 were dripping gas while pulsing. I pulled them and sent them off to FIC for rebuild. Relatively inexpensive and quick turn-around. Just make sure you record the stamped part number along with its location on the manifold. The injectors are not identical.
Wow...really? I wonder what would be different about them?

Jebby

EDIT: Learn something every day!!!!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+injector,6224

Last edited by Jebbysan; 02-20-2019 at 11:06 AM.
capnron3 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Wow...really? I wonder what would be different about them?

Jebby

EDIT: Learn something every day!!!!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+injector,6224
Yep, they are not the same # per hr rating injectors in stock configuration. I run the 454 injectors to feed my motor and like mentioned above, the charcoal canister could also be an issue with it being fuel soaked.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had this problem on my 82. Turns out when the previous owner installed a crate engine he did not install the O2 sensor! :O

I bought a new O2 sensor and installed and at the same time converted to dual exhaust and it's never done that again.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 tbi 's leaking gas

Quick Reply: 82 tbi 's leaking gas