C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Autocad files for C3 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:07 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Looking for Autocad files for C3 Corvette

I'm looking for everything I can find. About 15 years ago there was a sea of files floating around from sources all over the world. Now, it's like everyone got them, then deleted all links and uploads of them online. Probably for capitalistic reasons..

Please, anyone and everyone send me your files via dropbox or email.
Thanks,
-Stroke

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 02-22-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Go over to VetteMOD and PM twin_turbo, he should have a lot of files still. He is from Norway Netherlands I believe.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-22-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 AM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I’ll shoot him a PM
Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

AutoCad? Are we talking 2D drawings? WOW, welcome to the 80's/90's. I didn't know anyone used AutoCad anymore. Get a 3D modeling program and you can download free 3D models of any Corvettte you want.

https://hum3d.com/chevrolet-corvette/
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by htown81vette
AutoCad? Are we talking 2D drawings? WOW, welcome to the 80's/90's. I didn't know anyone used AutoCad anymore. Get a 3D modeling program and you can download free 3D models of any Corvettte you want.

https://hum3d.com/chevrolet-corvette/
It's not called AutoCAD anymore, it's now called Autodesk and it is 3D. Fusion 360 is a better choice for 3D modeling developed by Autodesk. SolidWorks would be maybe a better choice for 3D mechanical engineer modeling. There are plenty of others now.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-22-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:55 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
It's not called AutoCAD anymore, it's now called Autodesk and it is 3D. Fusion 360 is a better choice for 3D modeling developed by Autodesk. SolidWorks would be maybe a better choice for 3D mechanical engineer modeling. There are plenty of others now.
I know. I have probably over 2,000 hours on Inventor and over 5,000 hours on Solidworks. I probably have well over 10,000 hours of 3D CAD total over the last 20 years or so.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Also, Autodesk is the company that makes it, and Inventor is the name of the 3D program that Autodesk makes/owns. AutoCad (which is also the name of the 2D program that Autodesk makes/owns) is still around, but I don't even know anyone that uses it anymore, everyone I know and work with uses Solidworks. AutoCad is more or less obsolete except maybe in the piping industry for creating piping schematics.

Last edited by htown81vette; 02-22-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you looking for specific mechanical bits or like a C3 vette shell?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

In response to everyone... yea I’ll be switching to Solidworks. I did some research last night and it is much more geared towards my style of R&D. I’ve joined vettemod and am pretty pleased with the community resources so far.

Ive now read about several people having already designed headlight bezels but still don’t see anyone actually sharing their ideas, nor do I see many pictures. With as little time as I’ve spent designing mine, I’m pretty shocked their are not dozens (if not hundreds) of designs being shared around the world. Or at the very least, being sold.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

What are you looking for? I've made a few interior pieces for 78-82 (below example is an HVAC control blanking plate, that could be used to mount switches). There appear to be some more parts from other folks here. Try some other searches to find other stuff.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...55c702e4fa6357

I'd likely just post stuff at Thingiverse if it is useful to anyone.

I can't afford SolidWorks for home, but I've made use of Fusion 360, and then Cura 3D to convert the .STL files into gcode for my 3D printer.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C3DeedlyDee
Are you looking for specific mechanical bits or like a C3 vette shell?
Hey Deedly,

currently, anything I can get my hands on. But specifically I am looking for the front headlight area. Inside and out. So I can properly model and design a custom bezel. In theory, I could spend the next month doing it myself, but I would rather skip the boring stuff and jump straight in to creating.

-Stroke
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM
EP1978
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an architecture student, Autodesk AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit are both still heavily used in the architecture industry for 2D and 3D architectural drawings, respectively. For 3D modeling, Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks (Dassault Systemes) are your best bet. Autodesk Fusion 360 is pretty good too if you're new to CAD software.

Last edited by EP1978; 02-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onewiththecake
For 3D modeling, Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks (Dassault Systemes) are your best bet. Autodesk Fusion 360 is pretty good too if you're new to CAD software.
I am completely new. I spent a couple of hours on 3D design and then jumoed into Autocad. I was able to create and entire design for a bezel in an hour with 3D design, albeit not In accurate dimensions. It took my like 8 hours in autocad to just figure out how to accurately model the trapezoid shape with proper radius of the factory headlight cutouts. Im looking for whatever will be the most user friendly for physically creating parts with intuitive design elements and tools.

What do you suggest out of the three? Fusion, SW or Inventor? Edit: I’ve also been looking at ironCAD. It seems to focus on object/geometrical designing.

-Stroke

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 02-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:31 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
Hey Deedly,

currently, anything I can get my hands on. But specifically I am looking for the front headlight area. Inside and out. So I can properly model and design a custom bezel. In theory, I could spend the next month doing it myself, but I would rather skip the boring stuff and jump straight in to creating.

-Stroke
You might be able to get a student copy of Solidworks for alot less than a professional license, as the professional license cost about 5k not including the laptop to run it (which will probably run another 3k). Just go to your local college and enroll in a spanish class. Hey I'm a student! Get your free copy (I think it's free or at least dirt cheap). I would sell you my Solidworks 2016 professional and laptop but I'm not sure I want to let it go. That was a money maker for me back in 2016/2017.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bikespace

these look really good. All done in sketchup?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:57 AM
EP1978
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the late reply, but if you're looking for something simple and user-friendly, go with fusion. It's designed for people who don't need to commercially design parts and is really geared towards 3D printing too, if you're interested in pursuing that. For more advanced software, my personal favorite is Inventor. It's not as easy to learn as fusion or solidworks, but the Interface works a lot better. As far as software goes, getting a cheap copy of solidworks won't be easy. Autodesk, however, provides free software to students here. (You don't necessarily need to be a student, you can just lie about that part) If you're looking to learn how to use the software more, I'd recommend SolidProfessor as it has courses on virtually every CAD software. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Onewiththecake
Sorry for the late reply, but if you're looking for something simple and user-friendly, go with fusion. It's designed for people who don't need to commercially design parts and is really geared towards 3D printing too, if you're interested in pursuing that. For more advanced software, my personal favorite is Inventor. It's not as easy to learn as fusion or solidworks, but the Interface works a lot better. As far as software goes, getting a cheap copy of solidworks won't be easy. Autodesk, however, provides free software to students here. (You don't necessarily need to be a student, you can just lie about that part) If you're looking to learn how to use the software more, I'd recommend SolidProfessor as it has courses on virtually every CAD software. Good luck!
It's okay. Thank you for the in depth reply. I do have access to discounted or free software and I am currently messing around with solidworks. After about 6-7 hours on it I have really learned enough to at least get something designed. Although it's not anything like I really want, I'm glad to see something come together.

I posted pics here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598950758

-Stroke

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Autocad files for C3 Corvette

Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
What are you looking for? I've made a few interior pieces for 78-82 (below example is an HVAC control blanking plate, that could be used to mount switches). There appear to be some more parts from other folks here. Try some other searches to find other stuff.

I can't afford SolidWorks for home, but I've made use of Fusion 360, and then Cura 3D to convert the .STL files into gcode for my 3D printer.

Thats cool, what year is the radio bezel fit?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Thats cool, what year is the radio bezel fit?
I haven't posted anything on Thingiverse, yet, but others clearly had, and that would be my first thought for where to post anything I made that is worthwhile (hasn't happened yet...). I may have been unclear.

The center console bezel on Thingiverse appears to be for an early (68-76) C3, but I couldn't tell you which year(s). My shift console above is for an 80.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by htown81vette
Also, Autodesk is the company that makes it, and Inventor is the name of the 3D program that Autodesk makes/owns. AutoCad (which is also the name of the 2D program that Autodesk makes/owns) is still around, but I don't even know anyone that uses it anymore, everyone I know and work with uses Solidworks. AutoCad is more or less obsolete except maybe in the piping industry for creating piping schematics.
We use autocad for industrial plants/clients day in/day out. The majority require autocad files/drawing to be returned to them whether we create it in another program or not.

Quick Reply: Looking for Autocad files for C3 Corvette