C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High octane fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
He's right. That's what octane measures.
Octane is the measure of resistance to detonation. It is not the measure of the burn rate.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
Thanks. Do you know what issue? I'd like to read it.
It was right around the time I won the East Coast Impala Racing Series, so early 2000's. Sorry I can't pinpoint it closer than that.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Octane is the measure of resistance to detonation. It is not the measure of the burn rate.
Resistance to detonation is a derivative of the burn rate. They're one and the same.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:02 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Put a tank of pump and a can of Torco in it thats more than enough.
Or Wild Bills Supreme Octane 100...if you have cats know that stuff has lead in it.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Correct, which means spontaneous combustion due to heat and pressure causing the remaining fuel to explode and not burn at a controlled rate. The spontaneous combustion causes a shock wave and that is what you hear as knock.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:17 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Everything you wanted to know about octane rating and effects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Effects
Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Interesting, I got my but kicked by the octane experts when I talked about burn rate. This makes me feel better that it is addressed. Wish I had help back then. The worst I was called in a post was a pea brain.

Dom
Old 02-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Resistance to detonation is a derivative of the burn rate. They're one and the same.
Um, no.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:31 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
At 11.0:1, assuming you have a distributor set up to give you 36 degrees of mechanical at about 3K rpm, adding about 4 to 5 gallons of 116 to 93 will improve the engine performance.
Only if its on the edge of detonation. Lots of variables can affect this. If the engine is cammed correctly, and the dynamic compression ratio is in check, it won't likely gain anything on race fuel.

Dynamic compression (utilizing cam events)
chamber design
head/block material
engine coolant temps
intake temps

All of this dictates what an engine can handle and with what fuel. Just being 11.0-1 means nothing. There are modern engines with 12.0-1 compression that run fine on 87 octane.

On our old school, iron head motors with dome pistons etc, its probably a good idea to run some race fuel if your true measured compression ratio is 11.0-1 and running a stock-ish cam etc... as they were designed to run on 100+ octane leaded fuel...definitely an added safety factor, but slapping some 110 in a stock L71/L78 isn't just gonna add power.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by trz1000
Ethanol blends can cause premature failure of some soft parts in the fuel system (hose, fuel pump/carb rubbers, etc.) and I've heard plenty of stories though personally I've never had a problem.

10% ethanol content also reduces fuel efficiency a little as ethanol has a lower heat capacity (basically available energy per pound) than gasoline. Generally not an issue with our antiques. Most of our carbs are jetted on the rich side, and some ethanol fuel reduces the gasoline content but increases the oxygen content for a better A/F ratio. E85 is something like 25% less efficient than straight up gas.

On a side note there was a (maybe still is) a trend of guys building motors to run on E85 to take advantage of it's high octane rating at lower cost than race fuel. I've never had much interest in building a motor that I can't get gas anywhere/anytime so haven't paid much attention to that genre and don't honestly know how successful guys have been.

Anyway, more on topic. As already stated octane is a measure of burn rate No. with higher being slower. Not necessarily. High compression engines need slower burn rates No. Slower burn rates reduce the engine's efficiency by increasing the number of crankshaft degrees that the piston is moving up against the additional cylinder pressure caused by lighting off the mixture earlier due to having to advance the timing to make up for a slower burning fuel. due to ignition by compression (the basic theory of diesel engines). If the fuel burns too quickly you'll get pre-ignition also called detonation or spark knock. Pre-ignition and detonation are NOT the same thing. Pre-ignition happens before the spark/TDC, and detonation happens after the spark/TDC. Pre-ignition is caused by hot spots in the chamber or on the piston, and detonation is caused by high pressure/hot mixtures at the tail end of the flame front.

If you're getting detonation, short of actually going through the hassle of lowering CR, you can dial back timing a degree or three and/or switch to a higher octane fuel. That will solve most street driven motor detonation issues.

Also as stated, the comments from the speed shop guys on ethanol is utter nonsense. Probably talks about 3/4 race cams and high nickle blocks too.

In broad strokes: For a street driven, naturally aspirated motor run as much timing with as little octane as possible. Detonation is the limit on both.
You run the timing that gives the best performance (or 15* ATDC LPP if you have instrumentation). You do not crank up the advance until the engine knocks.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I run 12.25-1 Compression Ratio on my 1968 Corvette with it's 427. I have been driving with this compression ratio for many years and even traveled with it. I do not have a problem with detonation nor ever have with this engine. In the old days Compression meant "power" so I basically did my research on which cylinder head to use (as I could not afford the aftermarket aluminum in the early 1990's). I chose a Closed Chamber Cylinder head made by GM used on several applications of Big Blocks both 396 and the 427's. My chamber is only 100.3 cc and the pistons fit into the pockets in the heads. These cylinder heads resist detonating far more than the newer style Open Chamber Cylinder head. Unfortunately for me they are made of cast Iron but they have had larger valves and some professional Porting work.

I have tried it all at one time or another in the name of preventing detonation, I installed an MSD Knock Sensor to monitor the engine. I used all sorts of race fuels and they are just too expensive to use everyday. I like driving my Corvette and I love the sound it makes when pushed a bit.

Snow Performance makes a nice Water/Methanol Injection system which I have tested on my engine with success. By the end of this winter my water/methanol injection system will be using -4AN SS Braided fuel lines from it's tank to the injector. Using windshield washer fluid in a tank in my rear section I get the equivalent of 116 Octane fuel. My 427 likes this stuff and especially while the motor is under load and accelerating. The injection system also cools down the combustion a bit with the water. My ignition system has been beefed up to handle lighting off the mixture after squeezing the heck out of it. I am using a MSD Distributor and a MSD 6al ignition box and their hot coil. I will be installing a J&S Safeguard Timing control box this spring. This will allow my engine to retard a particular cylinder without the entire engine making less power.

The lesson on Octane is a tough pill for some out there. I love watching people with stock Civics putting 93 octane in their car, sadly it happens way too often. About 6 years ago I drove across this great country of ours and I was surprised to find 100 octane gasoline at stations along the interstates. Where I live they sell us this 10% ethanol stuff and call it "gasoline". Then the stations who sell real 100% gasoline charge a premium for it, it should be cheaper as the ethanol costs more than gasoline and is used in addition.

There are ways of living with High Compression, it can be very rewarding if done right. Race Fuel is not the only solution to cars with higher compression. Technology has come to the rescue! I guess those 13 quarts of Tetra-ethyl Lead might go to waste.
Good Luck and ONLY buy the amount of octane you REALLY need.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Most people, if ALL never used high octane fule!!! They profess the lower octane to feed their needs and not use the rated HP the car was to have.

SORRY,you will loos a race if you would ever do it. Grandma drivers.

Dom
Old 02-28-2019, 01:00 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
Most people, if ALL never used high octane fule!!! They profess the lower octane to feed their needs and not use the rated HP the car was to have.

SORRY,you will loos a race if you would ever do it. Grandma drivers.

Dom
I re-read my post and it was not to insult any one that posted what works for them. My high compression engines only perform with high octane. I moved the timing and tried our wonderfull CALIF 91 and it just doesn't do it for me. I do retard just below the pinging but have trouble beating a small 4 door Honda. With my timing in the right place and high octane I have trouble keeping my car on the road.
NOW I am going back to the 50's when they had 2 long glass tubes. One had a few drops of low octane and the other high octane. The low beat the high to the end of the tube when ignited by the same source! That was or lesson as to using the octane the engine was designed to use. That was back then and they actually had pistons out of a car that used a low octane. They were damaged on top.
On the other hand I don't want to go to jail for display, but I do get crazy coming out of the parking lot late a night where I can see a half mile in either direction.
One night I took the old vette out to show a younger what he was missing. I didn't check the tire pressure and one in the rear was low. When I power shifted into 2nd the vette went sideways and took out a few taxi way lights.

Dom
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

dom has a point..how many threads do we see with "I got this much hp" but put the cheapest pee gas they can in it. Esp a brand new engine never figured out that one

jbsblownc5 is a torco dealer here, hit him up for Torco delivered to your front door.

Quick Reply: High octane fuel.