Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Spark Plug Wire recommendations

 
Old 03-14-2019, 01:16 AM
  #1  
suprspooky
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Blaine MN
Posts: 625
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wire recommendations

I have a BB with AFR 265 Heads and Hooker Super Comp Side Pipe Headers, I like running the Plug Wires up from the Plugs to Dist. Cyl. 1 is crazy close, almost impossible to get the Plug Wire snapped on without bending the connector inside the boot (MSD multi angle boots) to the point of kinking the core. What kind of Boots (straight, 90, 135) are folks using when it's tight? I'm using boot release lube and I've already massaged the tube for more clearance.
suprspooky is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 AM
  #2  
gkull
CF Senior Member
 
gkull's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 19,280
Received 377 Likes on 339 Posts

Default

This is what most racers use on their high powered ignition systems and me for the last 20 years. I have angle plugs and afr sometimes has header and spark plug boot clearance problems. I'm not sure what angle you might want

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-79602/

Last edited by gkull; 03-14-2019 at 01:44 AM.
gkull is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 AM
  #3  
Jebbysan
CF Senior Member
 
Jebbysan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 3,223
Received 388 Likes on 343 Posts
Default

But you are going to have to figure out what boot to run.......maybe buy some and try them? It seems to me the 90 degree would be best in your situation but can't tell....not there

Jebby
Jebbysan is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 03:31 PM
  #4  
flyeri
CF Senior Member
 
flyeri's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Kernersville NC
Posts: 1,246
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

I use Moroso 8mm universal wires with the 135 degree boots. I bought the tool to crimp the ends so I could run the wires in some orderly fashion. The #1 and #3 are a bit close the the header but do not touch and I have had no melting in 20,000 miles with both chrome and ceramic headers.Check you PM.
flyeri is offline  
The following users liked this post:
suprspooky (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:09 PM
  #5  
pauldana
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
pauldana's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: LA county ca
Posts: 9,931
Received 280 Likes on 225 Posts
Default

https://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm


Magnecor's KV85 Competition (8.5mm) and R-100 Racing (10mm) Race Cables feature Magnecor's exclusive 2.5mm high capacity Metallic Inductance EMI Suppressed conductor consisting of stainless steel wire precisely wound at 200 turns per inch over an insulated ferromagnetic core. The insulating jacket is made entirely of Magnecor's exclusive TC-1500-HS high strength aerospace grade silicone rubber, and its single layer construction will prolong the jacket's insulating ability by conducting extreme heat away from hot-spots that occur near over-the-limit heat sources. Some people have remarked that the cable jacket feels "soft," however, this is the nature of the particular silicone rubber used. It does help when these 8.5mm cables are fitted to 7mm OE cable retainer/dividers, as the cable is less likely to cause breakage.

The KV85 8.5mm jacket has a service heat resistance of 600 degrees F (320 degrees C) and up to 1,000 degrees F (540 degrees C) for short burst 3 minutes. The R-100 10mm jacket has a service heat resistance of 700 degrees F (380 degrees C) and up to 1,200 degrees F (650 degrees C) for short burst 3 minutes. Even if limits are exceeded, the silicone rubber will retain its insulating ability until wires are removed from engine.

Magnecor Race Wires are primarily designed and constructed to be used in applications where it is essential to prevent the possibility of ignition wires compromising engine performance. Modern race engines, modified street engines, overheating prone LPG conversions and stock street engines which rely on electronic devices to control the function of either or both the ignition and fuel systems are prone to interference from all other spiral conductor ignition wires sold through performance parts outlets, none of which can provide proper suppression for EMI, particularly if a high-output ignition system is used.

We always recommend use of our Race Wires for any stock or modified late model street engine that is electronically managed, however most other modified or street engines can also use our Race Wires to improve ignition performance
pauldana is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 05:18 PM
  #6  
Big2Bird
CF Senior Member
 
Big2Bird's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 7,027
Received 447 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pauldana View Post
https://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm


Magnecor's KV85 Competition (8.5mm) and R-100 Racing (10mm) Race Cables feature Magnecor's exclusive 2.5mm high capacity Metallic Inductance EMI Suppressed conductor consisting of stainless steel wire precisely wound at 200 turns per inch over an insulated ferromagnetic core. The insulating jacket is made entirely of Magnecor's exclusive TC-1500-HS high strength aerospace grade silicone rubber, and its single layer construction will prolong the jacket's insulating ability by conducting extreme heat away from hot-spots that occur near over-the-limit heat sources. Some people have remarked that the cable jacket feels "soft," however, this is the nature of the particular silicone rubber used. It does help when these 8.5mm cables are fitted to 7mm OE cable retainer/dividers, as the cable is less likely to cause breakage.

The KV85 8.5mm jacket has a service heat resistance of 600 degrees F (320 degrees C) and up to 1,000 degrees F (540 degrees C) for short burst 3 minutes. The R-100 10mm jacket has a service heat resistance of 700 degrees F (380 degrees C) and up to 1,200 degrees F (650 degrees C) for short burst 3 minutes. Even if limits are exceeded, the silicone rubber will retain its insulating ability until wires are removed from engine.

Magnecor Race Wires are primarily designed and constructed to be used in applications where it is essential to prevent the possibility of ignition wires compromising engine performance. Modern race engines, modified street engines, overheating prone LPG conversions and stock street engines which rely on electronic devices to control the function of either or both the ignition and fuel systems are prone to interference from all other spiral conductor ignition wires sold through performance parts outlets, none of which can provide proper suppression for EMI, particularly if a high-output ignition system is used.

We always recommend use of our Race Wires for any stock or modified late model street engine that is electronically managed, however most other modified or street engines can also use our Race Wires to improve ignition performance
And the hype award goes to............
Big2Bird is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM
  #7  
pauldana
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
pauldana's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: LA county ca
Posts: 9,931
Received 280 Likes on 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Big2Bird View Post
And the hype award goes to............

Maybe.... but I got them when I was having a lot of EMI problems in my EFI system... and with my spectrum analyzer on an antenna placed near the throttle body, I measured a significant reduction in EMI as compared to the Mallory I was running..,
so....
pauldana is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM
  #8  
Mooser
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 5,571
Received 511 Likes on 442 Posts
Default

I use a Taylor with 135 boots, ceramic shorty headers.
#1 is tight but doesn't touch if I orient the boot correctly, if I don't it touches and I've burnt one through because of it. The Taylors have a big fat square sparkplug end on them
I've been looking at the accel ceramic boot wires not that they offer them in black https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...02ck/overview/ but not until I'm don't fussing with the ignition system and I convince myself to spend another $150 on wires....





M

Last edited by Mooser; 03-14-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Mooser is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM
  #9  
suprspooky
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Blaine MN
Posts: 625
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
I use a Taylor with 135 boots, ceramic shorty headers.
#1 is tight but doesn't touch if I orient the boot correctly, if I don't it touches and I've burnt one through because of it. The Taylors have a big fat square sparkplug end on them
I've been looking at the accel ceramic boot wires not that they offer them in black https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...02ck/overview/ but not until I'm don't fussing with the ignition system and I convince myself to spend another $150 on wires....





M
Thanks for the pics and input, I tried some mallory ceramics (from summit) last fall and didn't have enough tube clearance to snap onto Plug (even with my tube massage), looks like you have a little more room than me. Do the Taylors snap on positive (meaning you can easily tell it's on correctly), my MSD's moved around so much it never felt properly engaged and i did have some mis-fires.
suprspooky is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:06 PM
  #10  
suprspooky
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Blaine MN
Posts: 625
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gkull View Post
This is what most racers use on their high powered ignition systems and me for the last 20 years. I have angle plugs and afr sometimes has header and spark plug boot clearance problems. I'm not sure what angle you might want

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-79602/
Thanks,

The AFR's made a tight fit worse (but worth the gains over the big rect. CI heads), I have to use a piece of rubber hose to install or remove #1 and have to seat it completely before I can even fit a Plug Socket on there. When I find the magic Boot combo I'll post it.
suprspooky is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 PM
  #11  
Mooser
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 5,571
Received 511 Likes on 442 Posts
Default

The Taylors do have a very definite "snap" when they go on straight and then they can rotate smooth, I found (the hard way) that the #1 when I wasn't lined up proper would never "snap" but felt tight and I couldn't rotate it... that was when it was actually bound against the header and didn't seat all the way.

On the replacement wire I trimmed the side of the boot on the corner that was causing the issue and it goes on good now and I also could add a "sock" JIC

I've never used one but there are also short "header" spark-plugs that can help with the tight installs
M
Mooser is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 PM
  #12  
Mooser
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 5,571
Received 511 Likes on 442 Posts
Default

Here's the boots with the big fat joint


I think this style would be better clearance


M
Mooser is offline  
The following users liked this post:
suprspooky (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:14 PM
  #13  
suprspooky
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Blaine MN
Posts: 625
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pauldana View Post
Maybe.... but I got them when I was having a lot of EMI problems in my EFI system... and with my spectrum analyzer on an antenna placed near the throttle body, I measured a significant reduction in EMI as compared to the Mallory I was running..,
so....
Did you buy a pre-made kit from them or terminate the Wires yourself? (if I remember correctly you have SB)
suprspooky is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 PM
  #14  
pauldana
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
pauldana's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: LA county ca
Posts: 9,931
Received 280 Likes on 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by suprspooky View Post
Did you buy a pre-made kit from them or terminate the Wires yourself? (if I remember correctly you have SB)
You send them the measured lengths, then they custom make them for you. So, if you can use a string of yarn and a tape measure, you'r set:-)
I have had SEVERAL mallory wires and other brands with bad crimps ether at the plug end or rotor end that were pre made. So I checked these when they arrived, ....perfect...
Yes, I run a SBC Gen1 427, 650hp Dart block, AFR 220 competition ported heads with 1 7/8" Kooks ceramic coated headers.... NEVER a single burned boot, not even a color change..And I run her HARD 4-7K RPM 30-60 minutes time, on 100* days, so it gets hot in there.. Wires and boots look like new.

Last edited by pauldana; 03-14-2019 at 07:25 PM.
pauldana is online now  
The following users liked this post:
suprspooky (03-14-2019)
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wire recommendations


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: