C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest cheapest way to switch to electric power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Easiest cheapest way to switch to electric power steering

I am a fan of electric power steering. My last few everyday cars have featured this system in one form
or another.
It is quiet, and has no fluid to leak. Seems like an ideal next upgrade for my 77’ as far as I can see two options are feasible

- try to fit a complete electric rack such as the one pictured. This electric rack is only $400. Of course running it without a can bus means it must have a limp home mode. Such a provision seems to be built into many electric power steering systems.
Also the rack must physically fit under the car.
- option 2 cut the steering column and install a power steering system into the steering shaft. This is also a good option and I am thinking this will be cheaper and easier.
Cramming a column mount type motor between the steering box and column seems best of all but I doubt sufficient room is available in a mostly stock car.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-20-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

There's a company out of the UK that does retro fits for vintage cars and I believe then opened an operation near Charlotte NC. Might be worth a look. Their system goes under the dash and replaces that part of the column. At least it would be an integrated system.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Have you tried manual steering first, with a proper center link, not a bypassed steering valve? No leaks in my 80, and it's fine for any speed above 5 mph or so.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Greengear
- try to fit a complete electric rack such as the one pictured. This electric rack is only $400. Of course running it without a can bus means it must have a limp home mode. Such a provision seems to be built into many electric power steering systems.
Also the rack must physically fit under the car.
- option 2 cut the steering column and install a power steering system into the steering shaft. This is also a good option and I am thinking this will be cheaper and easier.
Cramming a column mount type motor between the steering box and column seems best of all but I doubt sufficient room is available in a mostly stock car.

I really don't think that rack will fit.....

Electric Power Steering- It can be done- but I'm not going to say easily....

This guy- fellow forum member "waid1017" did a great thread a while back. I had looked at the Saturn one and the controller - but I think this is a better idea. He did a Ford Falcon and has a lot more room under the dash...From what I read- he was formerly a quality engineer for Hydraulic power steering systems and has been messing w/ steering for a while!!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-videos.html

I'm using a Nissan Cube (2010) motor and ECU- seem to be plentiful on eBay & junkyards plus the least expensive and also has a newer generation torque sensor .

If you have a z-bar- all bets are off. My car is "slightly modified" and running a hydraulic clutch with a TKO 5 speed. Plus my exhaust is a little different than stock and don't have power brakes nor a vacuum tank.

The steering column was shortened-and removed the reverse lock on the ignition.

If you are doing a rack and pinion mod- I'm thinking it might be a little easier....I ended up with a Flaming River Manual R & P.

The shaft on the electric motor can easily be removed- shortened and modded.

Tilt-Tele- that's going to take even more work...if it will work...

You have just about 9" between the firewall and stock steering box- if you are running a manual trans - you will need to convert to a hydraulic as there is no room for the Z-bar....

Here's my cutting-

Stock shaft- blue tape indicates firewall

Stock shaft cut- and inner stack shaft was cut to retain collapsible. Nissan steering wheel adapter

Nissan adapter turned down to fit cut-down OEM shaft

This will get welded

Fits into motor's torque sensor tube

Looking into the column-

Nissan bracket- fits almost perfect in the OEM column. A little more work (probably notch the OEM column) and it will be welded to the firewall bracket.

Here's what it looks like- motor slides into column- just have to design a mount to the frame for the motor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
69L46vert (04-13-2019), Illegal Vette (04-09-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I am all for folks trying new stuff. But on this one, my question would be "Why?" What problem is it resolving? Seems like a lot of trouble compared to other power steering alternatives.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I am all for folks trying new stuff. But on this one, my question would be "Why?" What problem is it resolving? Seems like a lot of trouble compared to other power steering alternatives.
Power steering ONLY when needed- has a torque sensor on the input side. Watch video-

Three wire hook-up- NO pump- NO belt- NO pulley-NO hydraulic lines-NO power steering fluid (and it's leaks). Weighs less.

COMPLETE motor and ECU can be found at the junkyard for $50 ( ebay is about $100)

Or this?
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
Illegal Vette (04-09-2019), Pegan2261 (08-15-2021)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Greengear
Racer

I am deep in thought regarding how to move forward.
Electric power steering seems within reach yet a bit too complex for a casual beer drinking saturday afternoon project.
Switching to manual steering is also a reasonable idea.
I do look forward to somehow stripping out the hydraulic ram and associated hoses, the pump and all the fluid leaks.
I assume the power steering and manual cars have different box ratios so switching to manual at least requires a new box. I am curious where the center link without power valve can be found.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Greengear
I am deep in thought regarding how to move forward.
Electric power steering seems within reach yet a bit too complex for a casual beer drinking saturday afternoon project.
Switching to manual steering is also a reasonable idea.
I do look forward to somehow stripping out the hydraulic ram and associated hoses, the pump and all the fluid leaks.
I assume the power steering and manual cars have different box ratios so switching to manual at least requires a new box. I am curious where the center link without power valve can be found.
Borgeson a possibility?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Same box for power and manual. Different centerlink and pitman arm but they are around so you can find them.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

OK, I certainly understand your issues and logic. Makes good sense...if it is worth the trouble to re-engineer your steering system. If it's that beneficial, I'd think some of the C3 aftermarket vendors would sell a complete conversion kit WITH INSTUCTIONS .

Anyway, all I will contribute to your 'conundrum' is that I refurbished the P/S system on my '71 about 8 years ago and have never had a leak or any problem since then. Kept the pump as is, replaced the hoses, rebuilt the control valve ($20 kit), and rebuilt the valve pack in the cylinder/ram ($15). After cleaning the gunk and grime off everything, it took me about 1 workday to rebuild the C/V and ram and another 1/2 day to reinstall it and adjust the rebuilt C/V. Everything is still completely stock and it works as good as new. (I should know, I've had two new ones, along with the other used Corvettes I've owned.)

Wish you the best as you make your decision and 'do the deed'. Just wanted you to keep this option on the table, rather than for you to simple ditch the system because you are [presently] unhappy with it.

P.S. If a reputable vendor ever puts together a complete conversion kit that is AFFORDABLE, I may do the electric conversion....when the P/S needs work again.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:27 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
What interests me about the possibility, is getting extra power steering boost at low speeds, my 79 is too heavy for me with that smaller factory steering wheel. I saved some threads about putting in a power steering pump from some kind of GM van that's supposed to give more boost at low speeds, but I was having a heard time grasping what whas needed to do the conversion and if it actually did make the steering effort easier than the factory power steering pump.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM
danc24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know anything about it, but I noticed the other day that Zip is selling an electric power steering conversion kit for C3's. Not cheap though!

Edit: It's actually this kit from EPAS Performance. Installation instructions are on the site.

Last edited by danc24; 03-22-2019 at 10:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by danc24:
hemorrhage22 (04-16-2024), Priya (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by danc24
I don't know anything about it, but I noticed the other day that Zip is selling an electric power steering conversion kit for C3's. Not cheap though!

Edit: It's actually this kit from EPAS Performance. Installation instructions are on the site.
That is soo cool! Thankyou for posting that link!

But, yes,for me the price is a little breathtaking. I want it, but not in the foreseeable future.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by danc24

Maybe I'm wrong- but the instructions don't tell you where the motor goes...I just don't see it fitting inside the car...

Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it mounts under the dash, kinda odd theres no instructions for mounting the motor, seems like it'd need some kind of bracket.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

With that EPAS kit, it looks like the Z-bar would be the least of your worries.

If you don't mind sharing the power steering pump (or hanging a second where the AC compressor would go), a clever person could get the stock PS piston, a Borgeson unit, and the electric PS all working at once.

Seriously, though, get manual steering to work, with the right stock components, new suspension bushings and ball joints, the right amount of caster, and a rebuilt steering box. You'll be surprised, and well prepared to add the electric steering solution.
The following users liked this post:
Priya (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
I think it mounts under the dash, kinda odd theres no instructions for mounting the motor, seems like it'd need some kind of bracket.
Have you been under a dash lately? I just don't think there is any room- as the motor is not small-

Here's mine- mounted outside the pass cabin- I have the Nissan collapsible steering shaft and have added a center bearing- adding the Flaming River R & P was a lot of work too!!!

9/16-26 spline to 3/4DD male

Get notified of new replies

To Easiest cheapest way to switch to electric power steering

Old 03-23-2019, 01:29 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Other than being "trick" and trendy, I see no REAL advantage to an electric steering system. But then, I don't race my car or have any reason to justify the expense or the effort to do it. I am interested in seeing how you proceed and how the installation goes.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-23-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:28 AM
Greengear
Racer

Looking at Richard454’s pics above it seems feasible to install a motor in rack type system. These are found on newer fords such as 2013 and up escape. The rack is made by trw.
As to why electric is good:
no lines, no fluid, no pump, one less belt.
Also almost every new car has electric power steering so its going to be like anything else that eventually becomes main stream.
I like how electric power steering comes to life when you first turn the car on, no noise, doesnt matter if the engine is running suddenly the wheel is easy to turn. Im always surprised that the gear motor under the dash style doesnt make gear whine when working.
unfortunately it doesnt seem like there will be a way to convert my c3 that is easy or cheap.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-23-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,654 Likes on 2,916 Posts

I purchased my Factory Five Racing 33 Hot Rod with the electric power steering upgrade with the Ididit rack and pinion and Ididit steering column.
The option is available in all Factory Five cars.
I was at a Goodguys car show last year and talked with an Ididit sales rep in their display.
He told me they were designing a complete system for C3’s including a rack and pinion, electric steering and complete column that could be purchased as a set or individual components.
They had their C2 system on display which he said they have sold many, but they really haven’t seen any demand from C3 owners so they weren’t in a big rush to complete the C3’s design.
Check their web site or give them a call.

Quick Reply: Easiest cheapest way to switch to electric power steering