C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Corvette no start. Turn key nothing happens.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Usserymtg
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Corvette no start. Turn key nothing happens.

Hello friends. So I've recently had some troubles getting my Corvette starting. I live in MN and only start my Corvette once a month or so, to keep it from sitting to still
Recently I went to try to start, and nothing happens. And I literally mean nothing. Purchased a brand new battery, and still nothing. When I turn the key it slides effortlessly. No clicks, or resistance what so ever. Slides from lock to start in one motion with no clicks in between. No lights, no radio, no fuel pump starting, complete silence
Just replaced the ignition lock cylinder thinking that might be the culprit, but the same thing is happening.
The only click I get now is to unlock the steering wheel. Everything after that is the same click/ resistance free turn of the key and nothing g happens.
Anyone have some ideas?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:16 AM
roboto65
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the fuseable link down by the starter turn the key on and check for voltage at the red wire on the starter.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

The neutral safety switch might be out of adjustment. Try starting it in neutral (auto trans. ).
Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Usserymtg
Everything after that is the same click/ resistance free turn of the key and nothing g happens.
If you're not getting any resistance when turning the key, it sounds like the rod connecting the key cylinder to the actual switch (mounted on the steering column near the firewall) might have become disconnected on one end or the other?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
DaGuvner
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same thing happen in terms of "No Resistance" when rotating the key. The problem ended up being the sector gear and a broken gear rack.

The gear and rack are inside the left side of the steering column opposite the key. There is a small shaft that is engaged with both the keyed tumbler and the sector gear. When the key is rotated the gear rotates (which is in mesh with the rack) causing the rack to pull up (move toward the driver in) a linear direction. There is a rod attached to the rack that travels down inside the column. This rod is also attached to the actual ignition switch. The switch is mounted external on top of the steering column behind the lower dash pad. When the rack pulls up the switch is actuated energizing the electrical circuit to the starter solenoid.

Here's what the gear and rack kit looks like. O Reilly can get them.

Last edited by DaGuvner; 04-01-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Resivion
The following users liked this post:
bradleyb66 (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 12:05 PM
DaGuvner
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 76 w tilt/tele column by the way.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

That one will not work on a 76. The 69-76 rack and sector kit is not available. The 77-82 is not a suitable replacement either. The sector gear for the 69-76 just came out but you can't use the rack from the 77-82. You are going to have to disassemble and see which one is bad. However before you do that, just the ignition switch, the actual electrical one down toward the lower half of the column. You will see all the wires going into it. Have someone turn the key why you look at it and see if the rod moves. If the rod is moving then the problem is that switch. If the rod doesn't move then you are going to be taking the column apart. If you are not sure about how to do that, you can send it to us and we can do it for you.
Thank You
Justin
Old 04-07-2019, 09:01 AM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Try putting forward pressure on the gear selector and you turn the ignition switch. My car is also a 76 with tilt/tele and currently has this same issue but I haven't fixed it because to me it's another theft deterrent..

Last edited by ykf7b0; 04-07-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

I would check all your wire connections going from the battery to the starter for corrosion first.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Corvette no start. Turn key nothing happens.

Quick Reply: 76 Corvette no start. Turn key nothing happens.