Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

69 - Centrifugal Super Charger build (Vortech)

Old 03-29-2019, 09:28 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 69 - Centrifugal Super Charger build (Vortech)

So I normally don’t post build stuff but figured I would since some of this isn’t the norm and would maybe help someone. So I purchased this car on a total impulse about 6 months ago. I have a C5 and C7 but always wanted a 68-72 C3. So I found this 10 footer for a good price. Paint is nice but not perfect. It’s not a show car and needed some work. It isn’t original (which I prefer) and I have a ton of parts from other projects.

And she is home in the garage.........

Last edited by nyciti; 03-29-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

So first thing I decided to do was rewire the car. 50yr old wiring is never a good thing. I wasn’t a fan of the options in the market – I feel they are way too pricey and don’t offer enough extra circuits. I had a new American Auto Wire kit (Builder 19 Universal Wiring System) laying around so easy choice and I am a fan of their stuff. Most of it was pretty easy and straight forward. Couple of obvious issues with going this way 1) firewall connection. For this I used a 22 Delphi Weather Pack Bulkhead Kit. I cut a piece of aluminum and then just cut the shape of the connection and passed it through. A little seam sealer and all good. YES I know its grey, I’ll be painting the FW again soon.

Second issue with this kit is connections. I have a ton of GM connections kits I got from electricalhub (great website for Merti and Delphi packs BTW). I had to crimp and create all of my connections. Not a big deal for me 1) I enjoy it 2) its better fit to the car.

Last Issue mounting of the box. I removed the fuse panel from the box cut a piece of aluminum shaped it cut a whole for the box and mounted it using the stock holes for the high beam pedal. (more on that later)

You may notice a couple of things going on in the photos below....

Old 03-29-2019, 09:48 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Car came with a tired 350/400 and NO vette of mine will ever be an auto...SO out went the 400 and the auto pedals. I installed the manual pedals, a Lokar gas pedal I had laying around, and a lokar hood opener. I am not a fan of the stock safety switch so I used one from a 98 f-body that you can see in the photos above. The high beam switch is gone and moved into the column.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Speaking on the column, I wanted tilt and the later columns are a couple of inches shorter....I sourced a unit out of an 80 off the bay. When it arrived I cut the plastic down, rebuilt it and in it went. Sorry no photos but this has been covered to death by many. Again I had this wheel from my Front engine Covair build I never used, so perfect for the C3! I lost the Telescopic function but don't care I locked it at its lowest point. The point of it all wast to get as much room as possible.

Last edited by nyciti; 03-29-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Okay....now on to the fun stuff I said this car needed some work. The good thing about a car with no interior you can see if the birdcage has any issues. Thankfully only the top of the windshield and its corners were shot. I REALLY went over the car and this was it...so I order the parts and went to work....again this has been covered by many but if you have any questions about my method please ask.

Yes the glass and trim fit....I tested everything just haven't put the glass back in permanently.

Last edited by nyciti; 03-29-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:31 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

So put this one under just cause....

I had a windshield wiper motor out of a caddy, which is the same motor DSE used in their wiper kits for years. I haven't looked at what they are using now. I cut a piece of aluminum put it on the mill, cut some holes and she's in. I'll post some additional photos for this if anyone is interested. I had to buy and wire a 7 selector switch and the wiper arm had to be cut and welded for the proper angle
Old 03-29-2019, 10:41 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

I got lucky and found a good deal on a rack and pinion kit from a fellow member here. I took some measurements and based on the very few post I found here I knew I needed to cut the front cross member to clear the crank. I believe it was 3 inches I needed so I cut 4. I boxed it, welded it all the way around, welded it the lower plate, and double plated it which is the extra weld in the center. Its overkill but that was the point. Sorry for the crappy lighting in the photo.

Last edited by nyciti; 03-29-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:54 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Now that was done I pulled the old motor and in the SBC I built a few years ago. It has all of maybe 5 miles on it....Long story. Specs are SBC 383, AFR 195 heads - 9:1 compression. Forge everything. GM 846 cam w/1.6 RR 543/563 lift, 222/230 112LSA. TPIS Miniram, Holley EFI. Out with the old in with technically new. The swap was a PITA I sent the rear out to GTR to work his magic, so I couldn't roll the car out. Doing this in the garage by myself and my friend 2x4 was a bit nerve wrecking but It all worked out.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:10 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

I also installed a hydra-boost unit as you can see in the photos above. However I purchased a unit from hydratech a few years ago I had laying around. The plate is for a g-body (86 monte carlo for those who may not know). Since I don't like things to go to waste I measured the plate against the stock c3 holes and pedals. The g-body holes are literally 1/4 of an inch to high if you flip the plate 180. So I took the brake unit out, placed the aluminum mounting plate on my mill and slotted the holes. My car was originally manual brakes so I also had to extend the hole for the rod. So if you come across a g-body unit it can be used in our cars with a little work and I'm sure cheaper than the "vette tax". The slotting can also be done on a drill press.

Last edited by nyciti; 03-29-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:51 AM
terrys6t8roadster
CF Senior Member

Received 190 Likes on 183 Posts

Does the hood close with the S/C unit mounted? T
Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 AM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster View Post
Does the hood close with the S/C unit mounted? T
No - I had to cut some of the hood support to get it to close. I'll post a photo later for reference.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:58 AM
terrys6t8roadster
CF Senior Member

Received 190 Likes on 183 Posts

Had the same problem with my Vortec. What boost are you running? T
Old 03-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Halfnium
CF Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. I've done similar with a 78 - but a procharger. Glad to see those using a centrifugal SC - sharing their experiences.
Keep up the good work!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:02 AM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Finally got around to wiring the motor this weekend. Couple of issues I had to figure out. First I love wiring but I hate looking at it, so I wanted to hide as much as possible. Second my MSD box and the ECM needed to be out of the way. Last the C3 is one of the worst cars to hide anything given the space. Since I'm going to install a vintage air, I knew I had that corner to play with. So here is what I came up with.

I took a sheet of aluminum, shaped it to the area. Drilled a 2" hole and snaked the wiring through the old astro vent. It's blocked off with the vintage Air, no need to drill any new holes. I couldn't find a place I was happy with the MSD, so after some thought I came up with this. A couple of aluminum spacers allowed me to mount the box over the wires and hide it also.

Still need to clean it up a bit but for it works...

Last edited by nyciti; 04-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 AM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

So the motor is mostly done!! It fired up and is now running, have to finish plumbing the SC intake to the intercoolers and then tune. The serp brackets were a challenge. What I came up with is using an 91 F-body water pump pulley and crank pulley. The Alt / PS bracket is from vortech and the AC bracket is from kwikperf. The AC bracket had to be spaced out another 1/2 inch but it all lines up perfect and works. My Electric fans are from an 04 GTO, they fit like a glove and require very little trimming to make fit.

Last edited by nyciti; 07-11-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

The following 2 users liked this post by nyciti:
platinummaker (07-11-2019), Rescue Rogers (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Halfnium
CF Member

Awesome work! What did you end up doing for the PCV plumbing?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Halfnium View Post
Awesome work! What did you end up doing for the PCV plumbing?
Thanks. For the PCV - suction off the intake side of the SC to a catch can (you can see in the photo above) to Pass side pcv. The drivers side has a line to another catch can then to a breather - I run two catch cans cause I don't want oil spilling out the breather if I have that much pressure and I don't want oil all over my valve covers / smell. Cheap enough

Last edited by nyciti; 07-11-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Halfnium
CF Member

10-4. I couldn't see the second catch can - nor the breather. It looked like you ran the passenger side valve cover and the drivers side valve cover to a single catch can - and I couldn't see the breather anywhere...
So I was intrigued...
I haven't made any additional progress on mine - except the spreader bar (centrifugal SC application). I've been working on the six speed T-56 conversion.

Good work though...

KT
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 PM
nyciti
CF Senior Member

Actually you right that - those aren't the most recent photos. I'll post the latest once I get em.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 - Centrifugal Super Charger build (Vortech)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: