C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is handling on all big-block Vettes sub-par?

Old 04-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
Counterpoint!

I was Zora's concierge for a week...We talked BB's. and dozens of other Vette topics ALONE. Truth...HE HATED THEM... so I'm calling BS! ILL handling, overheating, hard to work on, and felt he was FORCED into the BB's by the market. You all keep mentioning Aluminum this and Aluminum that...so Aluminum headed and Blocked big blocks were what 5% of what Chevy Produced??? What about the Cast iron ones? The quote I remember is "Ze hantle like a rock on a string".

Sorry...I was there. (however I'd sure like to see that article!) Mclellan was much more of a political animal than Zora....this smells of 'politician speak'.

Nowadays they CAN BE MADE to handle...technology has moved on.

Unkahal

I'M not a 'hater', just not a gushing fanboy either. What Zora Really liked was LT-1's.
Just curious. Did you, or anyone there, remind Duntov that "the market" paid his salary every two weeks? It doesn't matter what he liked or disliked. Without "the market" handing over their money to Chevrolet, Duntov would have been looking for work elsewhere.

Chrysler and Ford were selling lots of cars with 406 to 440 CID engines in them. Given the popularity of drag racing in the sixties, the Corvette's "reputation" would have been pretty poor from getting its *** kicked by a bunch of Ford and Chrysler sedans with big engines. Like they say, run with the big dogs, or stay on the porch.

In engineering, it doesn't matter what you like. All that matters is that you come up with a solution to the latest "problem/need".
Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

1963 farrari 250 P mid engine won 24 hours lemans and 12 hours sebring and everything else. 62 last year of a front engine car winning in all out competition, front engine car became an antique car by 63. Lol.they still raced them in lessor GT class racing still to this day just in the way on the track. You can read the drivers mind coming up on a gt car. Please get that damn snail out of my way have serious cars i have to race.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-13-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Danish Shark
I'm very surprised at the comments coming from knowledgeable posters that there is no difference in handling in a stock SB and BB! Or am I reading the comments wrong?

I had a very original stock 71 SB and then went on to buy a 69 BB (all iron) with Steeroids R&P.
The first time I drove the 69 I was amazed at how nose heavy it felt.
Just driving around in town there was a huge difference in how it felt in the turns. The BB felt like it wanted to continue driving in a straight line when I turned the wheel, to the point where it got me worried.

I realize that I'm comparing a 71 SB to a 69 BB, and that the 69 has Steeroids, but if Steerroids is that much worse than the stock setup, then why would people "upgrade" to Steeroids?

I'm not trying to bash the big block, in fact I eventually sold the SB and kept the BB.

/Karsten
Karsten, your comments are spot on and my experience over the years as well with BB C3's versus the SBC C3's and, of course, my own 78 L-82 4 speed over the last 40 years.

The BB crowd "family Secret" is putting a 150-175 lbs BB motor in a C3 (it is NOT 100 lbs difference between the BB and SB, which is part of the family secret) Does effect the handling significantly, not just in street driving since the BB engines DOES make the C3's feel nose heavy, do not even mention autocross or road racing. Now why is that?

Again, BB weight distribution is generally 54% Front;46% rear in a BB C3 (SBC C3 like my 78 L-82 is 48% Front:52% Rear), the BB engine is 150-175 lbs heavier overall, the BB sits slightly forward of the front axle center line (versus the SBC C3 sitting more mid engine to the chassis), AND the BB engine sits MUCH higher in the engine bay for a much higher center of gravity overall.

This nonsense comes up periodically mostly by the BB myth that the giant engine has tons more power and torque (which it does) but with a significant handling penalty, that is often denied vehemently by some.....the nay sayers....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 04-14-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:55 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Why does a BB "feel" heavier? I would suggest it is steering feel and seat of the pants as to which end of the car is doing all the work. Been a long time since I've driven a big block, so the following is only notional, but I would suggest it has to do with tire "slip angle". Tire slip angle is of course what generates the cornering force.

I halfway remembered a video I once saw where slip angle was derived from basic physical parameters. Video below. I went and crunched some numbers for a 3400# big block and 3200# SB and jb78l's weight distribution. Came up with the conclusion that the big block in a turn has a roughly 17% greater slip angle at the front tires whereas the SB has roughly an 8% greater slip angle at the rear tires. That would surely translate into a different feel between the two cars.

Your conclusions may vary, just drinking the morning coffee and doing some "maths". Mostly equation 8 in the video and all else being equal. Willing to be proven wrong, just fooling around with the numbers as given.

The following 2 users liked this post by ignatz:
leigh1322 (04-14-2019), Metalhead140 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:04 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm a little hesitant to get into the chocolate vs vanilla argument, but here is my take anyway. Any weight added to a car, especially towards the front, will adversely affect handling. Was the effect between SB a BB extreme, no, but you could feel the difference. Could this effect be offset by lighter engine parts, better suspension and tires, of course. Could the SB cars keep up with the BB cars back when these cars were new, no they couldn't, not on the street, the drag strip or the road race tracks.

As far as what can be built in 2019, it has little to do with what was available to the OEM when these cars were built. Racers were also limited to what GM was building at the time too.

The simplest answer to the OP's original question is yes and no. In the original SB and BB cars with the same suspension, the SB cars handled better, but that does not mean the BB cars were sub par to cars of the time.

As far as what is better, whatever you like in your car is better, but that does not mean it is better for everyone! Run what you like and be happy, don't worry about what others think is best. I run a small block but it is because I bought a small block car and had small block parts to build an engine. If I had bought a big block car and had big block parts on my shelf, that's what I would have built.

Mike
The following 3 users liked this post by v2racing:
68post (04-16-2019), Metalhead140 (04-14-2019), zmanabba (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by v2racing
I'm a little hesitant to get into the chocolate vs vanilla argument, but here is my take anyway. Any weight added to a car, especially towards the front, will adversely affect handling. Was the effect between SB a BB extreme, no, but you could feel the difference. Could this effect be offset by lighter engine parts, better suspension and tires, of course. Could the SB cars keep up with the BB cars back when these cars were new, no they couldn't, not on the street, the drag strip or the road race tracks.

As far as what can be built in 2019, it has little to do with what was available to the OEM when these cars were built. Racers were also limited to what GM was building at the time too.

The simplest answer to the OP's original question is yes and no. In the original SB and BB cars with the same suspension, the SB cars handled better, but that does not mean the BB cars were sub par to cars of the time.

As far as what is better, whatever you like in your car is better, but that does not mean it is better for everyone! Run what you like and be happy, don't worry about what others think is best. I run a small block but it is because I bought a small block car and had small block parts to build an engine. If I had bought a big block car and had big block parts on my shelf, that's what I would have built.

Mike
I think Mike's assessment above ^^^ pretty much summarizes the issues well....!!!!
The following users liked this post:
v2racing (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Karsten, your comments are spot on and my experience over the years as well with BB C3's versus the SBC C3's and, of course, my own 78 L-82 4 speed over the last 40 years.

The BB crowd "family Secret" is putting a 150-175 lbs BB motor in a C3 (it is NOT 100 lbs difference between the BB and SB, which is part of the family secret) Does effect the handling significantly, not just in street driving since the BB engines DOES make the C3's feel nose heavy, do not even mention autocross or road racing. Now why is that?

Again, BB weight distribution is generally 54% Front;46% rear in a BB C3 (SBC C3 like my 78 L-82 is 48% Front:52% Rear), the BB engine is 150-175 lbs heavier overall, the BB sits slightly forward of the front axle center line (versus the SBC C3 sitting more mid engine to the chassis), AND the BB engine sits MUCH higher in the engine bay for a much higher center of gravity overall.

This nonsense comes up periodically mostly by the BB myth that the giant engine has tons more power and torque (which it does) but with a significant handling penalty, that is often denied vehemently by some.....the nay sayers....
not even close to 54/46 on a bbc and a 70 LT1 no options is 49/51. All iron bbc in cluding iron manifold is 680 lbs same exact sbc is 520 lbs, 160 lbs difference. My 66 with the sbc with zero options i weighed it at 3150 lbs with the 331 i built for it 74, when i put the 396 in it same scales was 3310 lbs. Both engines iron except both had GM aluminum duel planes. Because all the stuff bigger when your start goi g aluminum on both engines the bbc starts realling the sbc in. 32 lbs saving on sbc head, 70 lb weight saving on bbc. The 78/79 heaviest vette made despite a sbc. My 69 camaro with nothing but power brakes sbc was 54/46 108 wheelbase with engine/ trans way away from rear axle. A bbc 68 camaro with an a/c system only 55/45 weight. Chevelle next bad with its 112 wheelbase. Then nobody want to know how bad your pickup is. Lol

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-14-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
1963 farrari 250 P mid engine won 24 hours lemans and 12 hours sebring and everything else. 62 last year of a front engine car winning in all out competition, front engine car became an antique car by 63. Lol.they still raced them in lessor GT class racing still to this day just in the way on the track. You can read the drivers mind coming up on a gt car. Please get that damn snail out of my way have serious cars i have to race.
While I find the trivia about the 1963 Ferrari interesting, you're still wrong about the '62 being the last front engine car to win overall in an all out major professional sportscar race.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69427
While I find the trivia about the 1963 Ferrari interesting, you're still wrong about the '62 being the last front engine car to win overall in an all out major professional sportscar race.
all out expermintal class that was put in 1963 so car manufacture did not have to sell the car to the public run what you brung there was never a front engine car win it. A mid engine car is just a vastly superior design for road racing. Im 100 percent correct in my statement. they all knew this back then not only in road racing front engine car was finished in oval track indy racing probably about the same time. Would you be interested in showing me a picture of a 1983 front engine indy car or formula 1 car !!

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-14-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

not even close to 54/46 on a bbc and a 70 LT1 no options is 49/51. All iron bbc in cluding iron manifold is 680 lbs same exact sbc is 520 lbs, 160 lbs difference. My 66 with the sbc with zero options i weighed it at 3150 lbs with the 331 i built for it 74, when i put the 396 in it same scales was 3310 lbs. Both engines iron except both had GM aluminum duel planes. Because all the stuff bigger when your start goi g aluminum on both engines the bbc starts realling the sbc in. 32 lbs saving on sbc head, 70 lb weight saving on bbc. The 78/79 heaviest vette made despite a sbc. My 69 camaro with nothing but power brakes sbc was 54/46 108 wheelbase with engine/ trans way away from rear axle. A bbc 68 camaro with an a/c system only 55/45 weight. Chevelle next bad with its 112 wheelbase. Then nobody want to know how bad your pickup is. Lol
Not going to arguing semantics but I did say the BBC C3's are a range depending on the year, Front 52-54%:Rear 46-48%. My 78 L82 4 speed SBC 350 is 48% Front: 52% rear. All these numbers are reported in the literature at the time quoting the above numbers..............
Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

I should think that compared to other cars of the time (late 60's) the BB Corvette exhibited better handling and better f/r weight distribution, correct? I've driven BB ponycars (Mustangs/Camaros), and I thought the Camaros showed terrible understeer and felt very nose heavy. I would assume, for instance that BB Camaros and Mustangs would be more in the range of 47/53 (or worse!) for f/r weight distribution. Couple that with the fact that most ponycars had only front disc brakes at best and a live rear axle - you have a real handful there. Don't even get started on Mopars which my friend owned. I've only driven SB Chevelles, so I don't know how they handled.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've had several of both, either one can be very fast but you drive them differently.
Nothing I mean nothing compares to driving my old 68 L-88 through the mountains of Virginia years ago a car with no radio no heater Stahl side pipes on a cool fall day with the top down I'm sorry nothing is as good.
On another note as Gkull said light reciprocating weight is a big advantage. I put a 9" 2800 convertor in my current car and it's amazing how much quicker the car responds.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,452 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I believe it is more about the overall handling balance. GM always designs a little too much understeer into their factory cars as a safety measure for the average driver. A "loose" tail can be very deadly, very quickly. Since the extra torque of a big block in and of itself increases rear slip angles, I am assuming the basic chassis had even more understeer built into it on a BBC car, in the interest of safety. The front springs and both sway bars front and rear were changed on BB cars. That's more than enough to dial-in some extra understeer for "safety". The increased diameter of the front bar would make way more of a difference than the tiny little rear bar that was added, hence more understeer.

BTW: the math says 160lbs extra only changes the front weight distribution by 2.2% So a 49% Front (SB) moves to 51.2% for (BB). Not really that big a deal.

Has anyone ever calculated the roll rate or the front handling balance on these cars? I could use a few more numbers. Anyone know the Center of gravity height?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Not going to arguing semantics but I did say the BBC C3's are a range depending on the year, Front 52-54%:Rear 46-48%. My 78 L82 4 speed SBC 350 is 48% Front: 52% rear. All these numbers are reported in the literature at the time quoting the above numbers..............
how is that a 70 LT 1 has the same 98.6 wheelbase same engine trans placement in chassis one with nothing on it but power brakes is 49/ 51. Yet you have A/C system, power steering and heavy front bumper system way the hell forward even in front of the front axle in the car and your 48/ 52 rear. Fact is the the 70 car i describe far lighter up front then your's. I had a new 78 for a short time period and a long time friend as all original 70 LT 1.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-14-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by leigh1322
BTW: the math says 160lbs extra only changes the front weight distribution by 2.2% So a 49% Front (SB) moves to 51.2% for (BB). Not really that big a deal.
jb78l says "the BB engine is 150-175 lbs heavier overall, the BB sits slightly forward of the front axle center line (versus the SBC C3 sitting more mid engine to the chassis)"

I don't know if that is true but if so that puts more weight on the front than just increasing the SB numbers.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Default 773cc

Originally Posted by ignatz
jb78l says "the BB engine is 150-175 lbs heavier overall, the BB sits slightly forward of the front axle center line (versus the SBC C3 sitting more mid engine to the chassis)"

I don't know if that is true but if so that puts more weight on the front than just increasing the SB numbers.
its mounted same location, if you measure a bbc bare block its 3 1/2 longer then sbc that 3 1/2 inch forward of the motor mount. So only very smal amount of weight forward not the whole engine/trans moved forward. If i buy another 78 im seriously considering moving the engine back and downward some. Of course ralf naders 5 mph bumber BS will be gone, that unsafe at any speed bastard still alive you would have thought someone would have killed his sorry *** by now.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-15-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

how is that a 70 LT 1 has the same 98.6 wheelbase same engine trans placement in chassis one with nothing on it but power brakes is 49/ 51. Yet you have A/C system, power steering and heavy front bumper system way the hell forward even in front of the front axle in the car and your 48/ 52 rear. Fact is the the 70 car i describe far lighter up front then your's. I had a new 78 for a short time period and a long time friend as all original 70 LT 1.
Can you stop debating this fact now? Thanks

Source: The Vette Net Any search from the era will come up with the same numbers: Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc

1978 Corvette Specifications

Dimensions

Wheelbase (in.)98.0

Track Frt/Rear (in)58.7 / 59.5

Length (in.)185.2

Width (in.)69.0

Height (in.)47.9

Frontal Area (in)NA

Ground Clearance (in.) (minimum)4.3 in.

Curb Weight (lbs)3500

Coefficient of DragNA

Weight Dist. F/R (%)47.6 / 52.4

Coolant Capacity (qt.)20.7

Fuel Capacity (gal.)24.0

Oil Capacity (qt.) (w/ filter)5.0

BTW-The BB engine C3's have a notch in the front cross member to accommodate the balancer since the BB engine sits further forward of the centerline. The SBC C3 engine sits MUCH farther back from the front centerline and BEHIND it...NOT even close.

Let's review again about the BB C3 family secret:

1. The BB engine is approximately 160 lbs heavier than the SBC engine in a C3.
2. The BB engine in a C3 sits just slightly forward of the C3 chassis front centerline versus the SBC engine which is much farther aft towards the middle of the car which is why my 78 weight distribution with a SBC is Front 48%:Rear 52% (see above documentation)
3. The BB engine is MUCH taller than the SBC engine and in a C3 chassis adversely effects the C3's center of gravity versus the SBC.

Facts folks^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 04-15-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is handling on all big-block Vettes sub-par?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Contributor

all out expermintal class that was put in 1963 so car manufacture did not have to sell the car to the public run what you brung there was never a front engine car win it. A mid engine car is just a vastly superior design for road racing. Im 100 percent correct in my statement. they all knew this back then not only in road racing front engine car was finished in oval track indy racing probably about the same time. Would you be interested in showing me a picture of a 1983 front engine indy car or formula 1 car !!
Outside of the Can-Am series, I'm not aware of any "run what ya brung" professional racing series, so what's your point?

OBTW, you're still wrong about there not being a front engined car winning overall in a world class professional road race since 1962.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Because '78+ cars have huge heavy rear glass! Better aero though... Don't get me wrong, I love my '79.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Also, 47/53 is with 3 gallons of fuel - with a full tank they were pretty much bang on 50:50.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is handling on all big-block Vettes sub-par?