C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Degree & Pushrod Length Measuring Questions Placeholder

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
1. Probably not. The difference in lift is split by 2 so whatever it is it isn't much
2. As mentioned earlier just shim the heads with whatever. Baseball cards whatever.....
3. With a tape measure. Off the shelf push rods are in .100 or .050 length. You'll be rounding up or down. .05" = 1.27mm. Any tape measure can measure this....
4. Until the slack is gone
5. Measure them then add subtract the difference. You should be able to look up your lifter height and order a solid match.

Thanks Jim!

#4 is what makes me the most nervous; I hate all the subjective "do-it-by-feel"-type operations because I have no reference for how it's supposed to be. (That's why I really like the Straub / Foxwell method.)

I think I'm good to go now. I should be able to finish this up tomorrow evening and I'll post my final measurement back here, then just in case it sounds crazy.

Adam
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id there a poster near him that can go be an extra set of eyes for him?
Easy to overthink this stuff if its your first go round.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Id there a poster near him that can go be an extra set of eyes for him?
Easy to overthink this stuff if its your first go round.
Buickguy lives near me and just volunteered to take a look at it on Wednesday!

Adam
Old 04-19-2019, 08:19 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Buickguy lives near me and just volunteered to take a look at it on Wednesday!

Adam
Great! A local pair of eyes.

What have y'all found / settled?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I was thinking.... Use a piece of wire to make a angle/template. Go vertical up the valve and make a 90 degree bend at the center line of the rocker tip. There's you 90 degree angle going back towards the stud. From there simply loosen or tighten the nut until the pivot center line is aligned with the bent wire.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:13 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jackson
Great! A local pair of eyes.

What have y'all found / settled?
The guideplates just weren't aligned correctly.
I have to push the intake push rod as far over as it can get without hitting the intake port; the exhaust pushrod needs to be somewhat centered within it's pushrod hole.

These guideplates will work.

Adam
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim2527
I was thinking.... Use a piece of wire to make a angle/template. Go vertical up the valve and make a 90 degree bend at the center line of the rocker tip. There's you 90 degree angle going back towards the stud. From there simply loosen or tighten the nut until the pivot center line is aligned with the bent wire.
Not far from what I ended up with. I'll take a picture showing how I did it.

Adam
Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Well... I measured and it was not as straight-forward as I expected.

I actually installed the head gasket and measured:

When I used the Straub / Foxwell method, I had to unscrew the pushrod length checker all the way open, which is 7.8" and honestly it needed a tiny bit more to have the line drawn between the rocker trunion and the roller tip bearing be perfectly parallel with the top of the valve / retainer. The rocker's nut had maybe 1 or 2 sets of threads holding it on -this was obviously before I lowered it 0.300" (6 turns of the nut) so that it was parallel at 1/2 the lift.

Then when I rotated the engine over 3 times and checked the witness mark the witness mark was too far towards the exhaust, which made sense just looking at it; If I used the same length on my exhaust valves it would be slightly worse as the lift is less on the exhaust lobe.

I continued to shorten the pushrod length checker until I got a nice, short sweep pattern in the center of the valve tip. Then I took the checker tool off of the intake and checked the exhaust and it was pretty good, too.
Having the two methods not "agree with each other" isn't what I expected or wanted to see and I'm not sure why but with the Comp Ultra Magnums with a 1.6 ratio on a 7/16" stud and 0.600" lobe lift, the Straub / Foxwell method made for a VERY long pushrod and a sweep that was moved out towards the exhaust.

I'm going to measure what I have and probably run with it. I think these super long comp rocker nuts would probably hit my baffles if I went with the super long pushrods anyway.

Adam
Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Comp also recommends the sweep pattern method in their instructions with the Hi-Tech pushrod length checkers and to answer a question earlier in the thread:

Each rotation of the Comp Hi-Tech pushrod length checker elongates the pushrod by 0.050", they advertise this as a benefit as you don't need giant calipers to determine pushrod length. (I'm going to check it both ways.)
I also find it interesting that the Comp Hi-Tech pushrod length checker and a 7/16" -20 rocker stud both move 0.050" per turn.
  • Easy to Read
  • Eliminates the Need for Expensive Calipers
  • Each Complete Revolution is Equal to .050"
  • The Best Tool to Measure Pushrod Length
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Comp also recommends the sweep pattern method in their instructions with the Hi-Tech pushrod length checkers and to answer a question earlier in the thread:

Each rotation of the Comp Hi-Tech pushrod length checker elongates the pushrod by 0.050", they advertise this as a benefit as you don't need giant calipers to determine pushrod length. (I'm going to check it both ways.)
I also find it interesting that the Comp Hi-Tech pushrod length checker and a 7/16" -20 rocker stud both move 0.050" per turn.
  • Easy to Read
  • Eliminates the Need for Expensive Calipers
  • Each Complete Revolution is Equal to .050"
  • The Best Tool to Measure Pushrod Length
makes no difference if a PR checker, a stud or a bicycle bolt ... 20 TPI pitch will always be 0.050" per turn ... if thread pitch were 40, it'll be 0.025" per turn ... if thread pitch were 28, it'll be 0.0357" per turn.

In usa ... thread pitch TPI is Xnumber of threads per ONE inch

take 1 and divide it by number of threads per inch = distance between threads = same distance it moves per One turn... thread pitch TPI 16 is 0.0625 per turn
Old 04-22-2019, 10:10 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

makes no difference if a PR checker, a stud or a bicycle bolt ... 20 TPI pitch will always be 0.050" per turn ... if thread pitch were 40, it'll be 0.025" per turn ... if thread pitch were 28, it'll be 0.0357" per turn.

In usa ... thread pitch TPI is Xnumber of threads per ONE inch

take 1 and divide it by number of threads per inch = distance between threads = same distance it moves per One turn... thread pitch TPI 16 is 0.0625 per turn
Now that you say that, it’s the most obvious thing in the world; never stopped to think about it before.

Adam
Old 04-24-2019, 02:33 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I ordered a set of CompCams Hi-Tech 5/16", 0.105" wall thickness, pushrods, 7.7" long.
Pushrod length checker measured 7.65" long but comp doesn't sell that length in the 0.105" wall thickness. <-This was the length I arrived at by centering the valve sweep pattern on the valve. The Straub / Foxwell method wanted a slightly longer pushrod so I just rounded up to the next available size.

Seattle recently banned drinking straws so I decided I should go with the 0.105" wall thickness to not run afoul of the ban... ;-)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 04-24-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

I ordered a set of CompCams Hi-Tech 5/16", 0.105" wall thickness, pushrods, 7.7" long.
Pushrod length checker measured 7.65" long but comp doesn't sell that length in the 0.105" wall thickness. <-This was the length I arrived at by centering the valve sweep pattern on the valve. The Straub / Foxwell method wanted a slightly longer pushrod so I just rounded up to the next available size.

Seattle recently banned drinking straws so I decided I should go with the 0.105" wall thickness to not run afoul of the ban... ;-)

Adam
Yikes! ... that's a nearly $200 set of pushrods, right? ... you goin' endurance racing?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:12 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Yikes! ... that's a nearly $200 set of pushrods, right? ... you goin' endurance racing?
No but I have an aggressively ramped cam lobe and was told that I needed at least an 0.080” 5/16” pushrod or else a 3/8” pushrod and I already had my valve guides and 5/16” checker. -I looked at these pushrods and saw the price for a set of 12 and thought they were $148... I ordered the set of 12 and then got the confirmation email and called Summit and they added 4 more...

So partly I needed a thicker wall pushrod and partly $50 of “stupid tax” ordering a set of 12 and thinking it was 16..

My cams intake has only 227 degrees duration @ 0.050” but opens to 0.600” with 1.6 rockers still it’s an aggressive action and floppy noodle pushrods seem like a bad idea. (Mike Jones is a maniac.)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 04-25-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Cam Degree & Pushrod Length Measuring Questions Placeholder