C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 header/exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Smurphy521
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 header/exhaust install

Hey guys

I have a 81 l81, man. Trans

Im looking to do a full exhaust system and remove the smog stuff. I found this kit https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...ow%26count%3d9

has anyone installed these headers and or full
kit on a 81 with man. Trans? I hear removal of clutch cross shaft is involved. Is there a special gasket I need to buy to install headers? Any tips is appreciated

also curious what’s involved in removing the smog equipment

any helps appreciated
Old 04-05-2019, 02:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I have no direct experience with this kit.In the description it states it comes with gaskets and bolts. The crosshaft removal is very simple. On an 81 both the carburetor and the distributor are computer controlled so unless you do other modifications that function will not change.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Smurphy521
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
I have no direct experience with this kit.In the description it states it comes with gaskets and bolts. The crosshaft removal is very simple. On an 81 both the carburetor and the distributor are computer controlled so unless you do other modifications that function will not change.
so the carb and distributor will function fine without the other smog equipment?
Old 04-05-2019, 03:56 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

I installed that exact system on my 81 about 6 years ago. It's an excellent system and sounds fantastic. I would recommend it. As to the clutch cross bar (Z bar) I do not think these headers will require removing that. They are block hugger headers and easily fit down in there, you should not have to touch the Z bar. As far as gaskets, I think the kit comes with all gaskets. Mine was an easy install. The magnaflows are very good sounding mufflers. A couple years after installing this, I went to full length headers, then I switched to smaller (louder) Magnaflows, then to side pipes, but this system is a great upgrade from stock.

Jim
Old 04-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Glenn Leidy
Intermediate

Here is the system I installed: https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...2f%3fcount%3d9

I did not yet want to change the exhaust manifolds. Definite performance improvement and a nice sound that is not too loud.

There are articles on this site about changing the timing on a 81. Following those simple instructions got me also a performance boost.

I also removed the smog stuff ( pump, egr, efe ). Lot of good links on this site that discuss it. It had no impact that I could tell on the computer.
I liked how it made the engine bay look and it made everything easier to work on.

Also some other easy stuff I did was remove the spare tire and carrier and the AC compressor and related hardware. Lowering the
weight can help an underpowered car get the most out of what is has.

Good luck,
Glenn

Originally Posted by Smurphy521
Hey guys

I have a 81 l81, man. Trans

Im looking to do a full exhaust system and remove the smog stuff. I found this kit https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...ow%26count%3d9

has anyone installed these headers and or full
kit on a 81 with man. Trans? I hear removal of clutch cross shaft is involved. Is there a special gasket I need to buy to install headers? Any tips is appreciated

also curious what’s involved in removing the smog equipment

any helps appreciated
Old 04-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Smurphy521
7th Gear

Did you guys install the corvette central dual system using your existing exhaust hangers? Does everything line up fine to use the existing hangers
Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Installed this system on my 81 and love it. The hangers for the mufflers will match up and then they give you hangers that you clamp to the pipes and use self tapping bolts to attach to the crossmember. Pretty straight forward and a nice kit.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

They sell a kit without the headers. I suggest you find some long tube or mid-length headers and use the kit without the headers. Better yet have a shop do a custom exhaust for you.

I have stainless mid-headers with those same Magnaflow mufflers on my 82.

Last edited by Gunfighter13; 04-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 header/exhaust install

Quick Reply: 81 header/exhaust install