C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supporting the body while working the birdcage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:41 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Supporting the body while working the birdcage

What is the preferred way to support the body while giving you access to the door sills on both sides to make repairs? I am assuming it can be put on some sort of sawhorses but I’m not sure exactly where it should be supported so as to not damage the fiberglass.

So far I have been working on it either on the dolly or on suspended from the ceiling, but both of those interfere with working on and getting full access to the rusted door sills.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 04-08-2019, 01:15 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Built this just so it would give me enough room to work on the rocker channels and all 4 inserts! The long piece to the front supported on the radiator support.it was a good fit for what I had to do. Worked out perfect and built another dolly for transfer to body shop.

The following users liked this post:
ScottEwine (04-16-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

The red one you show looks very similar to what I used for working on the underneath areas. I might also suggest supporting the rear of the car. You don't want to have the body for some reason to fly up on you. There is a lot of weight back their.

RVZIO

Old 04-09-2019, 04:36 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottEwine
What is the preferred way to support the body while giving you access to the door sills on both sides to make repairs? I am assuming it can be put on some sort of sawhorses but I’m not sure exactly where it should be supported so as to not damage the fiberglass.

So far I have been working on it either on the dolly or on suspended from the ceiling, but both of those interfere with working on and getting full access to the rusted door sills.

Thanks,

Scott

# 3 post is from Alan71' project a lot of people use this for full support of the body.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ody-dolly.html

Last edited by caskiguy; 04-09-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add content
Old 04-09-2019, 05:57 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by caskiguy
# 3 post is from Alan71' project a lot of people use this for full support of the body.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ody-dolly.html
That plan is ok but not if you need to do underneath body work or cleaning. Restricts that type of work!

Last edited by SB64; 04-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio
That plan is ok but not if you need to do underneath body work or cleaning. Restricts that type of work!
Good point.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 AM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
Built this just so it would give me enough room to work on the rocker channels and all 4 inserts! The long piece to the front supported on the radiator support.it was a good fit for what I had to do. Worked out perfect and built another dolly for transfer to body shop.
Thanks, I guess my question is, where are you supporting it under the body? I tried to put a bit of weight on it and was afraid I would start breaking fiberglass. I only need to work on one side at a time, so I can support it on via the channel on one side but need to support it without resting weight on the channel while working on the other side.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I guess my question is, where are you supporting it under the body? I tried to put a bit of weight on it and was afraid I would start breaking fiberglass. I only need to work on one side at a time, so I can support it on via the channel on one side but need to support it without resting weight on the channel while working on the other side.
Scott, support under #2 & #3 mounts each side is sufficient under the bird cage. I have four 4"x 4"x12" chamfered on one end to fit into the bottom rail of the bird cage bolted to the wooden square frame. The front of the car should be supported either at the radiator frame base or if it's removed somewhere more stout like the front wheel wells so the weight will not cause potential sag. Heres a picture of mine, I did add a rear extension, which I can remove and the front I'm going to revamp to give me better access to the front.

ScottEwine (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:27 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

I need to support the body such that I can to get at that door sill channel (one side at a time) all the way from the #1 to #3 mounts in order to repair, so I am trying to figure out where I can support it on the side of the car that I am working on, the other side of the car will have blocks supporting the door sill.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I need to support the body such that I can to get at that door sill channel (one side at a time) all the way from the #1 to #3 mounts in order to repair, so I am trying to figure out where I can support it on the side of the car that I am working on, the other side of the car will have blocks supporting the door sill.
I can only think that you may need a rotisserie ( sure wish I had bought one ). I post the following but maybe lightning will strike and if so I'll post what I come up with.

https://search.eastwood.com/search?t...m&w=rotisserie
Old 04-16-2019, 05:04 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Looking at your car again, what would happen if you rigged up a bolt and strap ( perforated angle iron ? ) to the front door hinge and on the interior pillar/back of door with the same, while having the rest of the body/frame 98% mostly on the horses or other platform
ScottEwine (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Body weighs about 600 lbs. What if you cut plywood to sit basically below the front seats. Set that on stands with support at rear and rad support. You won't have more than 300 or so on the floor. Then rocker channels are hanging in the breeze.
ScottEwine (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I made 2 @ 1/4 inch steel plate that I bolted to the top door hinge holes and then welded some sturdy angle iron from that . The angle iron was long enough to extend out past the body enough so I could rest the front on 2 of 44gallon drums. For the rear I just used a sturdy portable work platform to rest the glass flooring (behind the battery box ) onto.
It was just the right height so I could sit on the floor to work on the #3 mounts comfortably.

Get notified of new replies

To Supporting the body while working the birdcage

Quick Reply: Supporting the body while working the birdcage