C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for engine mods on 81

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:18 AM
66ca
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice for engine mods on 81

Last edited by 66ca; 04-12-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Already got info
Old 04-12-2019, 08:08 AM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If your state does smog it could be a problem if the pump is gone , you wont have a problem doing bolt on's intake , carb and dist ... just unplug the ecm.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by av81
If your state does smog it could be a problem if the pump is gone , you wont have a problem doing bolt on's intake , carb and dist ... just unplug the ecm.

OP
don't lift a finger until you KNOW what you can & cannot do in your jurisdiction ... varies wildly across USA.

Suggest you & others list an approximate location in your public profile beneath your username ... you can get location-specific feedback from members who know.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,329 Posts

I guess the OP realized he lives in CA. That's unfortunate. I'd strongly suggest you read up on what you actually can do in the state you live (CA or otherwise), and also read up on what the various systems do in the engine compartment, and make your own informed decisions about what you can and cannot remove.

There is a rat's nest of vacuum hoses under the hood of an 81 Corvette. Much of it is just there to help your car warm up faster. If your state will allow you to properly enjoy your car, you only really need a few vacuum systems, including the brakes, PCV, gas vapor canister, and vacuum sensor (or vacuum advance, if you've converted to a standard HEI distributor).

Remember, a car enthusiast with a tastefully modded classic car is a Citizen. A car enthusiast forced to drive a car as delivered from the factory is a Subject.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:50 PM
alnukem
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would actually look for a 3.07 rear end out of a 80 corvette. If I had money left over, I would probably get AFR 180cc (carb certified) heads with the smaller combustion chambers. This would give you better acceleration from the rear gear ratio, and probably 40 more horsepower & maybe a bit of mileage from the heads. Everything will integrate well & you'll have one of the best running "stock" 81's around. If you have a little more loot, investigate more free breathing catalytic converters & Dynamax mufflers. I always thought the 81's ran good, I had a 4 speed. Then get a "sharp" tune up. I like the stock 350/350 hp cam, factory tube headers & the integrated distributor/quadrajet.

Last edited by alnukem; 04-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for engine mods on 81

Quick Reply: Advice for engine mods on 81