C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Anti Theft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 AM
RubenM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Anti Theft Problem

I have a '82 Crossfire. Was running fine/starting etc. While replacing glass in door and (long story short) accidentally touched Door Look contacts while prying apart contacts and caused a short. Car was turning over but no fuel at injectors. After much search/ fuse replacements, fuel pump relay replacement: Ultimately replaced ECM. Still no power to fuel pump... Question: Is there a fuse/ relay/ reset to the Anti-Theft system that i need to check? I know its located behind the passenger seat in the storage bin, just not sure where to start as there is little information in the online/Haynes manual etc. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Just out of curiosity, does your CEL come ON at all while cranking even for a split second? If not, check the fuse in battery compartment. That fuse is what supplies the ECM with power and without it, the CEL will not come ON, the engine will crank, you will get spark, but you will not get any fuel. Oh, and you need to get a GM Service Manual which you can find on eBay, it has great diagrams. See if you can find the original manual which has the color diagrams vs a copy.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 04-17-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM
RubenM
3rd Gear

The fuse was checked in the battery compartment. Not blown, and the contacts were checked.
What Im trying to determine is if there is a Anti-Theft reset that I may need to do before the car will start?
In other words, what does the anti theft system actually do when triggered? Does it stop the car from running?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM
RubenM
3rd Gear

Not sure what you mean by CEL?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by RubenM
Not sure what you mean by CEL?
Check Engine Light

Are you sure that everything in the door is back together correctly? The 82 alarm system has a starter interrupt feature, and the whole alarm system is activated and deactivated by the driver's door key lock and power door lock switch. If it was running before replacing the door glass, and not now, I'd go back and double or triple check everything in the door, before going any further.

The 81 has the same alarm system as the 82, and I have a GM dealer 81 Corvette Service Manual. I can't dig it out now, but I'll try to look later today to see what it says about trouble shooting the starter interrupt system.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Check Engine Light

Are you sure that everything in the door is back together correctly? The 82 alarm system has a starter interrupt feature, and the whole alarm system is activated and deactivated by the driver's door key lock and power door lock switch. If it was running before replacing the door glass, and not now, I'd go back and double or triple check everything in the door, before going any further.

The 81 has the same alarm system as the 82, and I have a GM dealer 81 Corvette Service Manual. I can't dig it out now, but I'll try to look later today to see what it says about trouble shooting the starter interrupt system.

Welcome to the Forum!
^^^THIS^^^
Find and buy that GM service manual for your 82, it's a MUST for a 38 year old car.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Check Engine Light

First I would close both doors and cycle both the keys/locks to locked on both doors drivers and passenger, then go back and cycle them to un-lock. Then try to start the car. The way the system works generally is the key will be dead. car will not do anything, no crank, nothing but the horn will sound. You may have an unrelated or additional issue due to shorting the wires.

Last edited by Gunfighter13; 04-18-2019 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 05:16 AM
Pjotr7605
1st Gear

Hello, on my C3 1982 I have exactly the same problem you mentioned. Could you tell me whether you managed to figure this out and what was the solution? Cheers.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:49 PM
Mrvettenick
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

The key in the driver's door is supposed to disarm the system if triggered. The system will stay in the armed mode if the door cylinder/switch is damaged.. You need to go into the door to take a look to see if the switch/cylinder is working properly.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Anti Theft Problem

Quick Reply: 1982 Anti Theft Problem