C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not enough clearance above rear leaf spring bolt to get sway bar mount plate in

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Here's a shortened VB&P spring, sway bar mount (no sway bar), and poly bushings. I'll have to look into that thread protector.
Thanks Bikespace. Looks pretty similar to mine angle wise.

Last edited by vince vette 2; 04-24-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mooser
Remember, with the TA hanging, the spring is at the worse angle, when the car is on the wheels, the spring comes up and the angle improves. Some of the images your looking at are with the arm handing (like yours and mine) and others are the car on the ground.
Apples and slightly different apples. I don't see anything particularly wrong with yours (other than the nut being threaded way up, don't know your spring though)
M
Good point.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by vince vette 2
Thanks Bikespace. Looks pretty similar to mine angle wise.
Yup! My spring is the same length, too, 1" short, so 1/2" on both sides. It looks like I have longer bolts, though, and my car is on her wheels in the photo.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by vince vette 2
Res, Derply,

Thanks for the images.

Res, it's still a little hard to tell on yours. Would you mind crawling under there to get a close up like Derply and my photos Just kidding. I can if you like.

I took a little better shot of mine. It's more clear where the bolt hits the sway bar mount plate. I'd say the angle on mine is somewhere between both or yours. I did order rubber bushings today (Zip, $20 including shipping). I probably won't put them on now. I'm tired of removing and reinstalling stuff multiple times. i think I'll just leave them for now and if I'm antsy consider replacing them next winter.

Res, are those QA1 shocks I see? If so, adjustable and if so single or double? I have the single adjustables on mine but haven't been able to put enough miles on them to even begin trying settings. I just have them at the mid point. They're the non-adjustable QA-1's but work fine for my street driving only.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Derply_78
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for reference, my spring is 330# and my car was not originally equipped with the rear sway bar.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Res - no need to crawl under there. I think I I've dredged deep enough on this topic

For QA's, I opted for the adjustable as I didn't know what effect the 360# spring might have. My guess is in the end I'll just leave them set in the middle. I suspect that will equate to the character of the non-adjjustables, which you note work fine for street driving and which is what I'll be doing.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Yup! My spring is the same length, too, 1" short, so 1/2" on both sides. It looks like I have longer bolts, though, and my car is on her wheels in the photo.
I thinik the bolts may be the same. With the spring loose and the TA's supported with a 3/4" block under them where they enter the frame the bolts are just long enough to reach through the spring and lower bushing and start the nut onto them. I don't need to jack the spring up to get it started.

They may look shorter as I have the nut up higher than in your setup. When I had the car on the road last year, that setting seemed to get close to the original ride height. And it may be turned up even a little from that as I was trying to load up and compress the bushing so the sway bar mount plate could squeeze in.

Quick Reply: not enough clearance above rear leaf spring bolt to get sway bar mount plate in