Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

'71 big block won't start after long winter (video inside)

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

'71 big block won't start after long winter (video inside)

Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 PM
1971WBY
CF Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '71 big block won't start after long winter (video inside)

My 1971 big block has been sitting in an unheated storage unit since Thanksgiving. Attached video shows my inability to get the car to start over the Easter weekend. Brand new battery.
I appreciate all suggestions as to the problem and all proposed remedies. If there are things I can try on my own, in the storage unit, I'd like to try those first before having the car towed to a garage.
More information: From April through November I drive the car about once every 6 weeks. Over the course of 2018, it became increasingly difficult to start. Some days I would crank it a few times unsuccessfully, walk away for an hour, and get it started on my next try. But, as shown in the video, now it just doesn't show much promise.
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2061 (1).mov (1.95 MB, 39 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 PM
jb78L-82
CF Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 395 Posts

No start is only one of two things: no spark or no fuel.

Pull the wire off the coil and hold it to ground with someone cranking the motor. If the wire sparks to the metal, coil is good. Do the same with a plug wire. If good there, check if gas is squirted into the carb when moving the throttle bracket on the carb. If no gas, fuel pump or clogged fuel line. If gas going into carb but no start, could be a carb issue or choke issue. You could try starter fluid into the carb as well...just a small amount. Lots of places to look but should be able to find the source methodically checking each component. This ^^^ is a quick summary

Last edited by jb78L-82; 04-22-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:20 PM
kossuth
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I

I would drizzle some fuel into the carb and see if she fires off. Id bet she does. Could use starting fluid if you chose. If your using ethanol blended fuel (Difficult to find non-blended fuel anymore in many parts of the country) its known to separate and the alcohol base is known to attract water which will settle to the bottom of the tank and get picked up first etc.

Being you only run it once every six weeks plus the time in storage it could just be bad gas.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 PM
saffron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when you crank it
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 AM
kansas123
CF Senior Member

Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82 View Post
No start is only one of two things: no spark or no fuel.

Pull the wire off the coil and hold it to ground with someone cranking the motor. If the wire sparks to the metal, coil is good. Do the same with a plug wire. If good there, check if gas is squirted into the carb when moving the throttle bracket on the carb. If no gas, fuel pump or clogged fuel line. If gas going into carb but no start, could be a carb issue or choke issue. You could try starter fluid into the carb as well...just a small amount. Lots of places to look but should be able to find the source methodically checking each component. This ^^^ is a quick summary
Great advice

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: