Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Wiring Gremlins with my starter on my 78

Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 PM
SeinfeldWithaT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Gremlins with my starter on my 78

Looking for some help with my 78, she was a driven on a consistent basis for the past 2 years and had to put her away for a few months due to leaving the Country. Before putting her in she had a few times where she wouldn't want to start and I'd climb under and give the old starter a tap and she'd fire right up. So naturally I replaced the starter and everything was hunky dory. Then it started happening again so pulled the starter and found one of the posts wiggled in and out making me think that it was just a loose connection. This is when I left her stored, no starter and everything in good working order. I come back and think "what the heck" why not throw in a High Torque starter and take some of the load off the battery. I go in and put the starter everything is pretty smooth nothing unusual and when I go to connect my battery sparks are thrown everywhere and the positive wire starts getting hot so I pull it off and go check to make sure I didn't accidentally short out the wires on the starter but they were all fine and good, nothing abnormal. So I pull out the starter completely and put it back in just to double check that everything was infact good. Now I'm not getting sparks but I'm getting no power whatsoever to anything. Checked all the fuses and they are good, Checked the linkable fuses to the starter and they don't look burnt and don't stretch. I'm at a complete loss for where to go and what to start troubleshooting first. Also Bubba has definitely made some wire repairs that I didn't really think much of before now and im starting to worry that this is a way bigger issue than just my starter going out on me. (especially since there are a few wires in the battery bay that I'm not sure exactly what they go to). Also first post here after being a long time lurker getting help from everyone else's questions.

Last edited by SeinfeldWithaT; 04-22-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM
MelWff
CF Senior Member

Received 638 Likes on 614 Posts

did you check the fusible link with an ohmmeter or voltmeter?
how exactly did you wire the High Torque starter?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:22 AM
SeinfeldWithaT

I wired it the way I had my old one. Hot wires going to the main post and ignition wire going to the smaller side post. The only difference between the original and the high torque is the fact that there is no post for a ground wire, so I have that wire mounted to the bracket on the block where the oem starter would bolt on to
Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SeinfeldWithaT View Post
I wired it the way I had my old one. Hot wires going to the main post and ignition wire going to the smaller side post. The only difference between the original and the high torque is the fact that there is no post for a ground wire, so I have that wire mounted to the bracket on the block where the oem starter would bolt on to
Are you sure you didn't ground the positive cable? It's a black cable and it runs directly from the battery to the big terminal on the solenoid. Sparks and heating ups sounds like what's happened.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM
SeinfeldWithaT

So the dual red wires with linkable fuses aren't my positive wires? And if that's the case then where would I be hooking up those two?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:41 PM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SeinfeldWithaT View Post
So the dual red wires with linkable fuses aren't my positive wires? And if that's the case then where would I be hooking up those two?
They go on the same solenoid terminal with the big cable from the battery. One comes from the alternator and the other feeds power to the rest of the car.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM
SeinfeldWithaT

Originally Posted by gdm78vette View Post
They go on the same solenoid terminal with the big cable from the battery. One comes from the alternator and the other feeds power to the rest of the car.
So I've had my starter wired up wrong this whole time....?? No wonder I've had random electrical issues. Thank you so much and I'll give an update when I get home and fix my dumb mistake
Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM
SeinfeldWithaT

Long time to respond but wanted to clear things up in case anyone else runs into this. Yes my wiring was wrong, I put some red electrical tape on the end of the wire just in case anyone ever else owns the car but just a small thing I need to remember for myself. This also then fixed the parasitic draw that would drain my battery after like 5 days of it sitting. I have no idea how my old starter even functioned with me wiring it wrong but oh well thanks all for the help!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for following up and letting us know what you found. A lot of posters leave this open ended and unanswered, so we (and others), can never learn from what happened. Again, Thanks!

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: